Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Archive Sci-fi/Fantasy Reads > 2019 SEPTEMBER The Dragon in the Sea

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick, Moderator II from USA Sci-fi/Fantasy & Horror (new)

Patrick | 700 comments Mod
I don't know about you but I could read anything by Frank Herbert after reading his Dune series! I hope you all like it!

The Dragon in the Sea

Twenty subtugs had been lost attempting to bring back oil from the undersea fields on the enemy's borders. A brilliant psychologist-electronics expert is planted in the crew of the subtug Ram to discover the reason. And the reason becomes terrifying reality when, miles deep in the ocean, the minds of the crew begin to crack...

Enjoy!!

message 2: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new)

Rosemarie | 11281 comments Mod
I may not get around to this book this month, since I am going on a two week vacation soon--but it sounds intriguing.
I am looking forward to reading all the comments.

message 3: by Book Nerd (last edited Sep 01, 2019 07:37AM) (new)

Book Nerd (book_nerd_1) | 380 comments It's been a long time since I read this. Interested to see what people think of it.

Patrick wrote: "I don't know about you but I could read anything by Frank Herbert after reading his Dune series!"
He's my favorite sci-fi author. You really have to read Soul Catcher(though that's not actually sci-fi).

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 151 comments I’m looking forward to reading this one! My brother had found a copy at Goodwill for me. It may be later in the month when I get to it since I’m trying to finish reading 3 other books and not start a 4th!

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 151 comments Book Nerd wrote: "It's been a long time since I read this. Interested to see what people think of it.

Patrick wrote: "I don't know about you but I could read anything by Frank Herbert after reading his Dune series!..."

Soul Catcher sounds really good! I'll have to try to find it. Thanks for the recommendation

message 6: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 151 comments So, I decided to put my other books on hold and start it. The premise is interesting but I'm disappointed in the writing style. It reads a bit like a 1950's SF movie. I like the psychological aspect although I see other readers found it to be too much, especially towards the end. I started it last night and thought I would read 1 or 2 chapters. Come to find out, there are no chapters, which is a little annoying. It did keep me engaged but I could tell this was a first effort. I'm curious to see if some of the themes in Dune are present in this book, also.

message 7: by Patrick, Moderator II from USA Sci-fi/Fantasy & Horror (new)

Patrick | 700 comments Mod
I enjoy the adventurous/psychological theme of classic sci-fi. I hope you eventually like it!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Soul Catcher (other topics)