Classic Trash discussion

The Godfather (The Godfather, #1)
This topic is about The Godfather
The Godfather > The Godfather - Finished (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adelaide Blair | 995 comments Mod
This topic is for those who have finished the book. Spoil away!

Cheryl | 886 comments When you are finished with the book, I'd appreciate it if those who have also seen the movie could post about the differences between the book and the film. I have never watched the entire movie, so I am curious to see what was changed. Also, which was better: the book or the movie? (Or is it a tie?)

message 3: by Cheryl (last edited Sep 03, 2019 01:20PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cheryl | 886 comments I just finished it. I gave it 3 stars, for being pretty entertaining and having some good action scenes and some good dialogue. My favorite characters were Vito Corleone (for his great negotiating skills) and Michael (for being a complex character who changed alot through the course of the plot).

I'd have edited out the large sections of story about Johnny Fontane and about Lucy Mancini. They only seemed to be in the story to add some sex, and were distracting to the main story of the Corleones. I think once I looked at this book as being some trashy fun, and not a "serious" novel, I was able to enjoy it for what is was. I will have to sit down and watch the film in its entirety one day, and see how it compares.

message 4: by Cheryl (last edited Sep 03, 2019 01:25PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cheryl | 886 comments Also, I am glad Carlo got what was coming to him in the end - that wife-beating bastard!

I liked this a lot but found the Las Vegas stuff to be mostly filler. Creepy filler. Also, I was not super into how all the characters talked about Black people. But aside from that, this was much better than I thought it was going to be. I feel bad for Kay, but she knew who she was marrying, she just didn't want to admit it. I wonder if Michael ever told her about Appolonia. Probably not. Dudes.

Cheryl | 886 comments Adelaide wrote: "I liked this a lot but found the Las Vegas stuff to be mostly filler. Creepy filler. Also, I was not super into how all the characters talked about Black people. But aside from that, this was much ..."

The story was set after WWII (late 1940s, early 1950s), so there was alot of racism and sexism around. (Not to excuse it, though.) Women in this novel weren't treated any better. They were either portrayed as a pure Madonna or a whore to be used. Also, I didn't like Vito's casual attitude toward wife beating.

Kelly | 76 comments Well, I got through it, but it was a trudge. I had looked forward to reading this, but it was just meh for me. Not bad, but I just couldn't get into it. Having to pause in the middle for so long didn't help any, but even before that it just didn't go very smoothly. A trudge. Not a bad one, just kind of boring.

At least I'm starting to find time to read (or listen, as most of this one was audiobooks while I packed stuff). :P

Glad you are able to read again! It’s how I keep myself on an even keel..