Classic Trash discussion

The Godfather (The Godfather, #1)
This topic is about The Godfather
The Godfather > The Godfather - In Progress (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adelaide Blair | 1043 comments Mod
This topic is for those who wish to discuss the book in progress. No spoilers please!

Cheryl | 920 comments I got the book a bit early, so I've already started reading it. I thought the first chapter wasn't that good and I might have even abandoned it if I wasn't reading it with a group. However, it did get alot better. So don't give up on it! When Sollozzo comes into the story in chapter 2, it gets alot more interesting.

Cheryl wrote: "I got the book a bit early, so I've already started reading it. I thought the first chapter wasn't that good and I might have even abandoned it if I wasn't reading it with a group. However, it did ..."

Good to know! I am waiting for my copy from the library.

John | 42 comments On it...with pleasure! Has been awhile but still is a GREAT book! Later.

Sarah (sarahmott) | 362 comments Cheryl - that’s interesting, considering that the movie has one of the best opening scenes of all time. Can’t wait to see how the book contrasts.

message 6: by Cheryl (last edited Aug 31, 2019 07:20AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cheryl | 920 comments Sarah wrote: "Cheryl - that’s interesting, considering that the movie has one of the best opening scenes of all time. Can’t wait to see how the book contrasts."

The opening at the wedding is there. It's the writing that is lacking in chpt.1. I've never sat down and watched the entire Godfather movie as one piece. I've only seen scenes here and there, so I don't know if everything in the book is in the film. In the first chapter there is alot of talk about Sonny's penis, along with talk of a bridesmaid's large vagina. (Yes, they are made for each other.) That made the book seem trashy and not very good. Also, the first chapter is long, and there's alot of explaining about the backgrounds of the different characters. All "telling" rather than "showing", which I found a bit boring. However, it does change its emphasis on the Family and thus gets more interesting - at least to me.

John | 42 comments It was a great novel. An empire within an empire. Two sets of sentencing for wronging of the laws of family. Going to the Godfather for justice is a sign that the justice of societys' justice has failed. The system that has been built over the life of laws is broken. A classic. Later. Keep Reading.

Cheryl | 920 comments John wrote: "It was a great novel. An empire within an empire. Two sets of sentencing for wronging of the laws of family. Going to the Godfather for justice is a sign that the justice of societys' justice has f..."

Good observations, John!

Sarah (sarahmott) | 362 comments Uhm - I am really enjoying this. It’s dark and raunchy and imperial, in a dark and raunchy way. Can’t stop reading...

Cheryl | 920 comments Sarah wrote: "Uhm - I am really enjoying this. It’s dark and raunchy and imperial, in a dark and raunchy way. Can’t stop reading..."

It is an addictive read. I guess I thought it was a more "serious" book than it really is. (It's pretty entertaining, though.)

Do Johnny (the singer) and Lucy (the bridesmaid Sonny has sex with at his sister's wedding) get alot of screen time in the Godfather films? I am almost done with the book and was surprised to see that each of them get an entire section in the novel.

Sarah (sarahmott) | 362 comments Not really - Although Tom taking care of Johnny’s issue is a pretty memorable part of the film. I think overall this was a much better movie. A lot of that has to do with Brando. But the book is very entertaining.

I am a quarter of the way through. I am enjoying this, but if I had read this in high school, I don't know if I ever would have had sex. EW.

message 13: by Cheryl (last edited Sep 07, 2019 03:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cheryl | 920 comments Adelaide wrote: "I am a quarter of the way through. I am enjoying this, but if I had read this in high school, I don't know if I ever would have had sex. EW."

I wonder if the author's editor thought the story needed alot of sex to sell the book and made the author add it in? Really, you could easily take it out of the story and miss nothing. In fact, I think it would make for a better book.