What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Fantasy, shape shifts and sorcerers, bad guy is a youth named Ariel, main character young girl with magic abilities, home for magic children/orphans in hiding.

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin Peters | 3 comments I believe this was part of a short series, maybe a trilogy. Although it was YA, I think it had some darker more adult themes in it, it was more of a grim series from what I remember.
The main character I think was a young, serious peasant-ish girl who had a magic ability, can't remember if it was shapeshifting into animals or just some other magic. I think she lived for a time in a home where other young kids of various ages with magic abilities also hid.
One of the villians is a kid just like her with blonde hair, whose name was Ariel. Always stood out in my mind.
I think at some point they were sailing on ships, but I don't know if it was a real ship or magical ship. And at one point the girl had to flee with some of the kids. This may have been also sort of post apocolyptic because I think I remember them unearthing old artifacts from the destroyed generation before them. ( I think)
I really wish I could give more details. I'll try to add more when I remember but it's been about ten years so it has to have been around since at least 2010.

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin Peters | 3 comments Nevermind guys, I finally found it! Wow! It's called the Obernewtyn Chronicles, but I never would have recognized it by the title of the books.

message 3: by Sycorax (new)

Sycorax | 72 comments Too late to name! The series is finally complete, so good time for a reread.