J.D. Robb discussion

Exit Strategy (Nadia Stafford #1)
This topic is about Exit Strategy
Monthly Book Discussion Library > Exit Strategy (Nadia Stafford #1) by Kelley Armstrong - Sept. 2019 (SPOILER ZONE)

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10171 comments Mod
Our Sept. Book of the Month is Exit Strategy by Kelley Armstrong. Open discussion begins on the 15th. We hope everyone will join the discussion.

Synopsis:
Popular fantasy author Kelley Armstrong (Women of the Otherworld series) makes her first foray into crime fiction, with the debut of a series of non-paranormal novels featuring female assassin Nadia Stafford.

Nadia Stafford is one of the world’s few female contract killers. A former cop, drummed out of the force because of a scandal, she is an expert at disguise and cool under pressure. But when fellow hitman Jack arrives on the scene, Nadia’s very private existence is seriously challenged.

A series of victims are being murdered seemingly at random all over the country — different areas, different walks of life, different MOs. There is nothing to tie them together except a random page torn out of a single book: Helter Skelter. But does the Helter Skelter killer — as the hysterical media now dub him — have a real connection to Charles Manson? Or is there something even more sinister at work?

Is this, in fact — as Jack believes — the carefully planned exit strategy of a fellow professional killer, determined to leave the life, but equally determined to clear up an old mistake? And, if so, which is the real victim?

Now, the highly suspicious and secretive hitman community will have to break their cover — at least, to each other — and help take down this killer before the cops and the Feds discover his true connection to their own secret, exclusive society….

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 548 comments Yay, my pick won this month. I've had this on my bookshelf for ages, glad to be reading it with you gals.

message 3: by Sandra (new) - added it

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Yay, my pick won this month. I've had this on my bookshelf for ages, glad to be reading it with you gals."

It's been on my list a long time too, Lisa! Hope it's a good one!

Maureen Carden | 41 comments It is good, as is the whole small series.

message 5: by Jo Ann (new) - added it

Jo Ann (jojog) | 334 comments Happy to see that my library has an ebook copy. Looking forward to starting this when I finish the latest Karin Slaughter book.

Charlene (charlenev) | 262 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Yay, my pick won this month. I've had this on my bookshelf for ages, glad to be reading it with you gals."

woohoo, Lisa...I was cheering for you when I saw this one leading the poll! It's been on my tbr forever as well, and I love this author.

message 7: by Charlene (last edited Sep 10, 2019 05:40PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 668 comments Ordered copy in State library system; hope it comes soon.

Has been "In Transit" for a while now....

Robin (robinmy) | 742 comments I'm looking forward to reading this one.

message 9: by marita (new)

marita lazarus (literatidivas) | 2 comments I will start this book in 1 week. Looking forward to it

message 10: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2189 comments If I have time, I'm going to read this one too. I love discussing books with this group.

Charlene (charlenev) | 262 comments I’m about halfway through, and enjoying it. Very different than what I’ve read from this author before.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 548 comments That's great, Charlene. I should get to it around Tuesday.

Robin (robinmy) | 742 comments I started this one last night and find I like it so far. Definitely different from the author's Women of the Otherworld series.

message 14: by Jo Ann (new) - added it

Jo Ann (jojog) | 334 comments I started this and just could not get into it (maybe just my frame of mind at the time??). Will try it again before the discussion starts.

message 15: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 12874 comments Mod
This is now a spoiler zone. Feel free to discuss the book openly.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 548 comments I'm up to Chapter 11. Enjoying it, it's well set up and I like how Jack and Nadia are establishing the working relationship solidly before any romance starts.

Charlene (charlenev) | 262 comments I think this first book is really setting the stage. A very interesting premise...a group of hitmen/women going after another who's making them look bad!

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 668 comments This one is next up for me, assuming it was one of the books I just got from the library. Very hectic times for me when I don't even know which books I brought home!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 548 comments Charlene wrote: "I think this first book is really setting the stage. A very interesting premise...a group of hitmen/women going after another who's making them look bad!"

Yes, it is. The way they casually discuss killing people should be chilling... but somehow it seems just in a day's work to them which I suppose it is.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 548 comments Charlene wrote: "This one is next up for me, assuming it was one of the books I just got from the library. Very hectic times for me when I don't even know which books I brought home!"

Hope you enjoy reading it, Charlene.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 548 comments I finished this morning. Overall I enjoyed it, although it was paced just a little slow in some places. The suspense plot was good but what I really liked was the slow build up of the relationship with Nadia and Jack. And Quinn thrown in just to muddy the water.

I'll be reading book 2 next month.

message 22: by Sandra (new) - added it

I haven't finished this one yet. I'm finding it moves a little slow. But my reading has been sporadic lately and I'm jumping between books playing catch-up so that may play a role in my feelings right now. Also, this is the 2nd book I've read lately that cast a heroine as a "killer" so I'm struggling a bit with that too. I'll push on though & see how it plays out. Based on reviews & comments here, I'm sure this one will be worth the time.

message 23: by Jo Ann (new) - added it

Jo Ann (jojog) | 334 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I haven't finished this one yet. I'm finding it moves a little slow. But my reading has been sporadic lately and I'm jumping between books playing catch-up so that may play a role in my feelings ri..."

"...that casts the heroine as a killer"...that's exactly why I had to set this aside. It would have been the third book, within a few months span, and I just couldn't do it. Maybe another time. Looking forward to seeing what you all think.

message 24: by Sandra (new) - added it

Jo Ann wrote: "Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I haven't finished this one yet. I'm finding it moves a little slow. But my reading has been sporadic lately and I'm jumping between books playing catch-up so th..."

It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one struggling with it because of the killer heroine. It seems like an unusual casting, and yet here we both have read 2 or more books lately with this type setup. I've started & stopped this book twice this month already so if I can't get into it this time, I'll leave it and move on.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 548 comments Yes, I made the same comment earlier. The way killing people is just a job to them is off putting. And I can totally understand why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. Because the actual details are nearly glossed over in this series (not like other series which go into forensic detail and outline the victim's emotions) so I can put that aspect aside when I'm reading and concentrate on the relationship between the major characters.

I love these discussions because it just shows how individual reactions can be to various books and series. And how differences of opinion and discussion is so respectfully handled between book friends. Thanks ladies.

message 26: by Sandra (new) - added it

I agree, Lisa! It's so awesome to share our different opinions through respectable discussions here. And I always enjoy all the various insights into different characters and scenarios.

l'm not opposed to a killer heroine (or hero) if it's clear their heart is in the right place and it's tastefully written. I think the issue here for me is the repetition of female killer heroines that I've run into lately in books I'm reading. If this had been the first, I may have been more into it, I think.

Robin (robinmy) | 742 comments I finished this book last night. I didn't have a problem with the heroine being a professional killer, but I wanted to know why she did this for a living. Yes, she saw her cousin raped and eventually killed. I think it would make more sense if she was a vigilante who was trying to kill people who got away with a crime. I just had a hard time putting the actions together with the character.

My favorite part of the story was Nadia and Jack's relationship. I loved it. I liked Evelyn because I was never sure if she was going to double-cross Nadia. I also liked all of the detail the author would go into while either hunting for the killer or checking out a house that would be a good base of operations because of the way it was set up. There were so many details that I never would have thought of including. I wonder how the author came up with all of these ideas...or did she interview a pro to get some good details? LOL

message 28: by Jo Ann (new) - added it

Jo Ann (jojog) | 334 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I agree, Lisa! It's so awesome to share our different opinions through respectable discussions here. And I always enjoy all the various insights into different characters and scenarios.

l'm not op..."

Not opposed to heroine killer either - just too many books in a short time with that same premise.

Sounds like the Nadia-Jack relationship is worth the read! I'll give it a try later in the year.

Charlene (charlenev) | 262 comments I was wondering the same things, Robin! Just how did she know so much about how to assassinate people?

I'll echo the comments about the relationship between Jack and Nadia - it was definitely the most interesting part of the book. I thought Evelyn was a really interesting character as well.

Charlene (charlenev) | 262 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "I finished this morning. Overall I enjoyed it, although it was paced just a little slow in some places. The suspense plot was good but what I really liked was the slow build up of the relationship ..."

I'm going to read Book 2 next month as well, Lisa. I trust this author enough to know that the series will only get better.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 548 comments Charlene wrote: "Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "I finished this morning. Overall I enjoyed it, although it was paced just a little slow in some places. The suspense plot was good but what I really liked was the slow ..."

Oh great Charlene. Let's buddy read together..I'm flexible, just shout out when you're reading it.

Charlene (charlenev) | 262 comments will do, Lisa!

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 668 comments I hand't realized this book would end as a cliff hanger, so now I'm trying to decide whether I want to know enough about the characters in this story to read another book about killers for hire as H/h....

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 548 comments Charlene wrote: "I hand't realized this book would end as a cliff hanger, so now I'm trying to decide whether I want to know enough about the characters in this story to read another book about killers for hire as ..."

I didn't see it as a cliffhanger.. more unresolved relationships. You could stop there but the main point of interest for me is the relationship between Nadia and Jack and seeing how it plays out.

Charlene, if you decide to continue you're more than welcome to buddy read with Charlene and I next month.

Robin (robinmy) | 742 comments I definitely want to see where the relationship between Jack and Nadia goes. Lisa, if I can fit the book in next month, I'll join you and Charlene on that buddy read.

message 36: by Sandra (new) - added it

When there's interest in continuing a series after reading book 1 as our Book of the Month, we set up a BOM Author thread as a place to continue the series discussion. You'll find it here. Enjoy!

Cindy (bkind2books) | 129 comments I don’t see it as a cliffhanger either.

I wasn’t sure at first where the plot was going. Especially with regard to Nadia-Jack-Quinn. I also like Evelyn as the “fairy godmother”, lol.

I think I may continue with this and love the idea of a buddy read.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 548 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "When there's interest in continuing a series after reading book 1 as our Book of the Month, we set up a BOM Author thread as a place to continue the series discussion. You'll find it here. Enjoy!"

Thanks Sandra. Great to have you reading as well next month if you can fit it in, Robin. Anyone else is most welcome, just pop over to the thread in October.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 668 comments I'm really considering joining the buddy read. I will be away next week, but will check into the next book when I get back home. Do you have a discussion date to begin?

Patty | 439 comments I liked this book, it was a bit slow in the beginning but it picked up. I do want to see where this relationship between Nadia and Jack is going. I decided when I finished that I would read the next book.

message 41: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2189 comments I'm behind due to life. I will finish by this weekend. So far I find the story interesting, and plan to join the next buddy read.