What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Pincher Martin
This topic is about Pincher Martin
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Period novel, sailor falls overboard and drowns, whole book is the few mins it takes for him to drown. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gail (last edited Aug 30, 2019 09:22AM) (new)

Gail | 3 comments period novel about a sailor on a sailing vessel who is washed overboard in a storm, then the whole book is about his life. The last line of the book is something like 'poor thing did not even get a chance to get his boots off' by the men who find his body. I have been looking for this book for years, can not remember the title of the author.
I think I read it in the 70's or 80's. in England.

message 2: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 1973 comments Pincher Martin by William Golding?

message 3: by Gail (new)

Gail | 3 comments Becca wrote: "Pincher Martin by William Golding?"

hmm not quite, i think it was a sailing ship and he did not get marooned anywhere. BUT this books looks REALLY interesting - THANKS :-)

message 4: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 1973 comments Gail wrote: "Becca wrote: "Pincher Martin by William Golding?"

hmm not quite, i think it was a sailing ship and he did not get marooned anywhere. BUT this books looks REALLY interesting - THANKS :-)"

This is from the book's Wikipedia page:

"The novel's twist ending reveals that Martin actually drowned shortly after his ship was sunk; when his body is found, it is noted that "he didn't even have time to kick off his seaboots". This means that his struggle for survival on the island never actually happened, which changes the work into an allegory of purgatory and damnation"

Sorry, it probably would have been more useful for me to include that in the first post as the Goodreads description deliberately keeps it vague!

message 5: by Gail (new)

Gail | 3 comments Becca wrote: "Gail wrote: "Becca wrote: "Pincher Martin by William Golding?"

hmm not quite, i think it was a sailing ship and he did not get marooned anywhere. BUT this books looks REALLY interesti..."

Oh my gosh - you are amazing, that HAS TO BE IT!!! I am getting this book, you do not know how long I have searched for this book, I even sent emails to famous book stores looking for it. THANK YOU!!!!!!

message 6: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 1973 comments Gail wrote: "Oh my gosh - you are amazing, that HAS TO BE IT!!! I am getting this book, you do not know how long I have searched for this book, I even sent emails to famous book stores looking for it. THANK YOU!!!!!! "

You are very welcome - I'm glad to help!