Gene Wolfe Fans discussion

Litany of the Long Sun review

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Palmyrah (new)

Palmyrah | 39 comments Hello, all. I'm new to this group, but I'm a longstanding Gene Wolfe aficionado, having first read The Book of the New Sun in 1985, and again at least three times since. My other encounters with him are listed on my bookshelf:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

Having just finished the first two volumes in the Long Sun cycle (in the omnibus edition, see above), I made so bold as to review it,

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28...

and would greatly appreciate your comments.

Sincerely,

Palmyrah

message 2: by Ed (new)

Ed (edwardjsabol) | 7 comments Long Sun is fantastic, but it really just sets the stage for Short Sun, which is Wolfe's crowning achievement and probably the best books I've ever read. You are in for a treat. If I had a single quibble with Long Sun, it is that it drags a little in the second half, spending maybe too much time in the tunnels of the Whorl, but maybe I will feel differently about that section when I re-read it someday.

message 3: by Zach (new)

Zach the works of the Long Sun is my least favorite Wolfe that I have read but Short Sun makes up for it by far.

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Defrank | 82 comments I've tried Long Sun repeatedly. It was a struggle, but I've finished, and there are some good parts, but I've never experience a better idea for a book series told more tediously.

You've got an entire civilization in a generation ship controlled by psychotic AI uploads who want all the people to stay in the ship so the AIs can continue to reign over them, and meanwhile the ship's been infiltrated by a shapeshifting, blood drinking alien who's helping the protagonist, but only so the people will go to his planet where they'll be preyed on as food. Toss in robots, weird mutants with psychic powers, etc., how do you not make this riveting?

message 5: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Mccomsey | 9 comments To answer your question: By having chapters devoted to a character wandering around tunnels after experiencing a blow to the head.

As much as I love Wolfe, that portion of the Long Sun was just pages upon slogging pages with not much going on... It's been a while since I read it and thinking "this has got to conclude at some point" is what I remember the most.