Victorians! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations Archives > October Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments It's the first of the month so that means........it's nomination time again!

This will be for our October-December Victorian read. Nominations start today and run until 5th when the voting will begin for 5 days.

This month we can accept non-Brits into the fray again. A few of us have suggested that, with it being halloween in October, it might be fun to have a spooky/gothic/mystery theme. This is only a suggestion so if you still want to nominate others please do so.

The only rules are: the book must have been published between 1837 and 1901 and you may only have one nomination per person.

Happy nominating! ☺

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments I'm going to nominate:

The Woman in White (Penguin Classics) by Wilkie Collins

The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins.

I've been waiting until the autumn to read this with it being a bit spooky.

message 3: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 91 comments I'd like to nominate Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights as I haven't read them for years. Not long read The Woman in White and I loved it.

message 4: by Scott (last edited Sep 01, 2009 07:41AM) (new)

Scott Ferry | 132 comments I will nominate Uncle Silas by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
Uncle Silas (Penguin Classics) by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I'm second Boof's Nomination, The Woman in White. What a great spooky read for October!

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments Scott wrote: "I will nominate Uncle Silas by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
Uncle Silas (Penguin Classics) by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu"

This is sitting on my shelf calling my name too Scott so I shall be just as happy if it wins.

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments Maggie wrote: "I'd like to nominate Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights as I haven't read them for years. Not long read The Woman in White and I loved it."

Hi Maggie, which book out of Jane Eyre or
Wuthering Heights would you like to nominate? (it is only one nomination per person). Thanks.

message 8: by Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (last edited Sep 01, 2009 08:45AM) (new)

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) I would like to nominate Bram Stoker's 1897 novel, Dracula for the October read.

Dracula (Critical Edition) by Bram Stoker

I have read Collins's The Woman In White and shall be happy to discuss it if it is chosen by the group. It is a terrific mystery from start to finish too! Cheers! Chris

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments Ooh, I'm clapping my hands in glee! That's another one whispering at me from my shelf.

message 10: by Scott (new)

Scott Ferry | 132 comments Christopher wrote: "I would like to nominate Bram Stoker's 1897 novel, Dracula for the October read.

Dracula (Critical Edition) by Bram Stoker

I have read Collins's The Woman In White and shall be happy to discuss it if it is chos..."

It would be alot of fun to read Dracula in a group read! It has been some time since i have read it.

message 11: by Sherien (last edited Sep 01, 2009 09:21AM) (new)

Sherien I nominate The Woman in White--wilkie collins!!

message 12: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 91 comments Boof wrote: "Maggie wrote: "I'd like to nominate Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights as I haven't read them for years. Not long read The Woman in White and I loved it."

Hi Maggie, which book out of Jane Eyre o..."

Sorry about that - okay then Jane Eyre as its longer since I last read this and have recently read Villette.

message 13: by Peregrine (new)

Peregrine | 103 comments Going with more of a Novemberish theme, I nominate Bleak House by Charles Dickens. "Fog everywhere. Fog up the river . . . fog down the river . . . Fog on the Essex marshes, fog on the Kentish heights. Fog creeping into the cabooses of collier-brigs . . . Chance people on the bridges peeping over the parapets into a nether sky of fog . . . " (p.1)

message 14: by Scott (new)

Scott Ferry | 132 comments Peregrine wrote: "Going with more of a Novemberish theme, I nominate Bleak House by Charles Dickens. "Fog everywhere. Fog up the river . . . fog down the river . . . Fog on the Essex mar..."

That is definitely a Bleak setting. :-)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 628 comments Great book, too!

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (mum2two) | 27 comments I vote for either Woman in White (which I've never read) or Dracula (which I read about 20 years ago). Not that I don't enjoy Bleak House, but I finished that last year.

message 17: by Grace Tjan (new)

Grace Tjan I have read both Woman in White and Dracula, but so long ago that I've forgotten most of it. I've never read Bleak House and want to try to tackle it with a group. So my vote would be for Bleak House. Though I wouldn't mind that much if the Collins book wins. :)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope The Woman in White wins - I've been meaning to read it for ages.

message 19: by Bettie (new)

Bettie Are short stories allowable, if so, I would nominate Plain Tales from the Hills and if not how about The Haunted Hotel for the spooky feel of Samhain. Both are widely available.

message 20: by Thalia (new)

Thalia Lauren wrote: "I hope The Woman in White wins - I've been meaning to read it for ages."

me too.

message 21: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Jane Erye or Wuthering Heights. Or maybe reading a collection of Edgar Allen Poe stories?

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments Rebecca, I will go with Wuthering Heights for you, as Jane Eyre has already been nominated and WH has a gothic theme too.

message 23: by The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) (last edited Sep 03, 2009 11:19AM) (new)

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments This is our last day for nominating and so far the nominees are:

The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
Dracula - Bram Stoker
Uncle Silas - Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
Bleak House - Charles Dickens
The Haunted Hotel - Wilkie Collins
Wuthering Heights- Emily Bronte

If anyone would like to add anything else who hasn't already voted, please make sure you do it today to avoid missing the deadline. Thanks.

Voting will start on 5th.

message 24: by Diana (new)

Diana | 4 comments I'd like to add to the votes for 'Uncle Silas.'

message 25: by Sherien (last edited Sep 03, 2009 10:24AM) (new)

Sherien Oh no! there are lots of interesting nominees there. I nominated for The Woman in White but now Bleak house and WH also seems interesting... *Thinking hard*

message 26: by Paula (last edited Sep 03, 2009 03:19PM) (new)

Paula | 1051 comments I have to go with "The Woman in White." It's been on my TBR shelf for awhile now, and I agree with the idea of a mystery novel for October.

While I adore Bleak House, I slowly made my way through it last year. I'm also reading Les Miserables for another group, so selfishly speaking I'd like Woman in White simply because it has a smaller number of pages compared to BH :)

Oh, plus I'm still working on Don Quixote, so that would make three hefty tomes to lug around. Not that I don't mind (honest!) I just get funny looks is all.

message 27: by Ayu (new)

Ayu Palar (atchoo) | 31 comments I will go for Bleak House :) I'd like to discuss it with you all.

Dracula is interesting but I am bad with horrors -_-

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments Paula wrote: "I have to go with "The Woman in White." It's been on my TBR shelf for awhile now, and I agree with the idea of a mystery novel for October.

While I adore Bleak House, I slowly made my way throu..."

Paula, is that for Everymans group? I'm thinking about going for Les Mis too at the end of Oct.

message 29: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1051 comments Boof wrote: "Paula, is that for Everymans group? I'm thinking about going for Les Mis too at the end of Oct. .."

Yes, the "Classics and the Western Canon" group. We start toward the end of September, and we'll be reading it until early December. Everyman has us on a nice, scheduled reading pace so I'm looking forward to it. It's like the best kind of homework :)

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) I'd have to go with THE WOMAN IN WHITE. I haven't read it since I was a teenager and I'd love to spend the autumn reading and discussing it.

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments Voting starts tomorrow so get your thinking caps on. I will set up a poll for the votes.

message 32: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1051 comments Boof wrote: "Voting starts tomorrow so get your thinking caps on. I will set up a poll for the votes."

I'm not sure how long the polls are open, but it's Labor Day weekend here in the states so I think we might miss people if we close the polls any sooner than Tuesday. Is it ok to keep them open til then?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 628 comments Sounds reasonable to me.

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) I love all the books except one and I just read DRACULA not long ago and loved it, but I still think my vote would have to go to THE WOMAN IN WHITE. It just seems perfect for an autumn read.

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments Paula, the voting will close on Thuesday 10th Sept so there should be plenty of time for everyone to cast their votes.

Happy labor day! I have no idea what it is but I presume it's a good thing?

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) Now I have a dilemma. UNCLE SILAS sounds very good to me and I've never read it

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) Boof wrote: "Paula, the voting will close on Thuesday 10th Sept so there should be plenty of time for everyone to cast their votes.

Happy labor day! I have no idea what it is but I presume it's a good thing? "

Labor Day is the first Monday in September and honors all the workers in the US, but still, there are those who still must work. Restaurants and stores remain open. The bookstores will be open! :)

Labor Day is the unofficial end of summer for many people, though in most places, the temperature is still summery and quite warm.

A lot of people have picnics or BBQ's on Labor Day. It's become a day for informal celebration, and yes, it's a good thing - unless you have to work.

message 38: by Thalia (new)

Thalia Canadians celebrate Labour Day too (notice the Canadian spelling, lol!)also on the first Monday of September. It's the last long weekend of the summer. Lots of camping usually although not for us this time, We'll just head out to the cabin for a day...

message 39: by Peregrine (new)

Peregrine | 103 comments Thalia wrote: "Canadians celebrate Labour Day too (notice the Canadian spelling, lol!)also on the first Monday of September. It's the last long weekend of the summer. Lots of camping usually although not for us..."

Canadian spelling - all right, Thalia!

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments That's the British spelling too! ☺

Phew, I'm glad to hear that bookshops are still open - I nearly broke out into a cold sweat then!

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments No more nominations please. Voting has begun! Please cast your vote on the poll at the bottom of the page. Happy voting!

message 42: by Waheed (new)

Waheed Rabbani | 4 comments If someone's is interested in a Victorian era novel set in India, may I suggest my own? Doctor Margaret's Sea Chest. A historical fiction novel set in the 1800s US, Canada, England, Crimea and India

Best,
Wally Doctor Margaret's Sea Chest by Waheed Rabbani

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments Waheed, the voting for Oct/Nov has closed (please see post above). Also, your book would only fit in the neo-victorian book section as it wasn't written between 1837-1901 as stated at the beginning of this thread.

I am happy for you to nominate your own book for the next Neo-Victorian group read but please can I ask that you join in discussions in this group as it is here for that purpose rather than marketing your own book. Hope to see you on on here soon.

message 44: by Waheed (new)

Waheed Rabbani | 4 comments Hi Boof;

Sorry I missed the 1837-1901 writing restriction! Yes, I'll love to participate in the discussions.

Best,
Wally

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) I'm torn as to which one I want to vote for! LOL

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments Gabrielle, me too.

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments Waheed wrote: "Hi Boof;

Sorry I missed the 1837-1901 writing restriction! Yes, I'll love to participate in the discussions.

Best,
Wally"

Wally, that's great. Look forward to seeing you around.

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) Boof wrote: "Gabrielle, me too.
"

There are actually four, maybe five, I really want to read or reread.

message 49: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1051 comments Boof wrote: "Paula, the voting will close on Thuesday 10th Sept so there should be plenty of time for everyone to cast their votes.

Happy labor day! I have no idea what it is but I presume it's a good thing? "

Thanks for keeping the polls open a little longer. Just to add to Gabrielle's great explanation, Labor Day is basically a 3-day weekend where most people head 'up north' or to a campground. For us, it is getting a bunch of family together and going to my parent's cabin. We eat good food, sit around a campfire, go floating down the river, sit in the sun and read, talk, I take my dog for long walks in the woods - basic summer activities. There are no electronics - cell phones are out of range, computers can't get internet, we don't even have a TV up there - it's fabulous!

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 828 comments Paula, that truly sounds like my idea of heaven! We sometimes go up to a place in Scotland where there is no TV, phones etc and stay in a cottage with just countryside and mountains for miles around. The nearest village is over 10 miles away. To me that is the perfect getaway.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.