SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Retired Topics > October Book of the month (Movie theme)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (last edited Sep 01, 2009 12:27AM) (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
One Nomination per person (2 if you really can't decide).

This is our new Book of the month. It can be any book that has been made into a movie/series or a movie/series that has been made into a book.

After reading the book you can watch the movie/series and tell us which one you thought was better :)

Nominations will be open until the 10th of September

message 2: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I know it might be a slightly weird choice, but i nominate Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

message 3: by Lauren (last edited Sep 01, 2009 02:50AM) (new)

Lauren Smith I don't think these will be very popular nominations, but they could lead to some very interesting discussions:

Blindness by Jose Saramago (the DVD is now available, stars Julianne Moore, Mark Ruffalo and Gael Garcia Bernal) or
Disgrace by J. M Coetzee (brilliant book and film, although very hard to read/watch. Nevertheless, an important story for South Africans The film is still playing at cinemas).

I have the pdf of Blindness if anyone wants a copy. Just PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you. Otherwise, it's available for download on www.scribd.com.

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) | 1262 comments Mod
Disgrace is a good South African Choice but after having seen the movie recently I don't know if i could read the book again, I had almost forgotten what a heavy read it was.

JUR ASS IC PARK SUCKS!!

message 6: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Stop mocking my nomination and nominate your own :P

message 8: by Lauren (Sugar & Snark) (last edited Sep 02, 2009 10:26AM) (new)

Notice how none of my nominations have the word ASS in them ;P
Which is what Jurassic park sucks! hehe

message 9: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Lol i hope it wins so i can force you read it!

NEVER!!!

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith 4: I hated the book the first time I read it, not because it was a bad, but because I was angry and disgusted. I didn't want to watch the movie, but a friend of mine is in it. After watching the movie and having a few conversations about it, I felt I should read the book again, which I'm doing now. I think the harshness of the book and the anger it evoked really blinded me to the the ideas Coetzee is trying to convey. and I think it deserved far more consideration than I had been willing to give it before.

message 12: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Yea i find that sometimes when you take a step back and look at a book, you can see a whole new meaning.

You are very right, it’s not a pleasant read but that doesn't mean it’s not a good book. I think if I reread it, I will alternate reading it with some trashy novel that is in no was thought provoking, otherwise its just too intense. I find my mood is easily altered by the book I’m reading.

message 14: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Laurence suggests: Fight Club A Novel by Chuck Palahniuk

message 15: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Poll is up!