College Students! discussion

Past Discussions of Group Reads > The Glass Castle--SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Feel free to spoil away in this thread.. :)

message 2: by Lynn (new)

Lynn One part that has stuck with me since reading this book (I finished it sometime in mid July I think) was the part where they find the mother has been sneaking food while all the children are starving. I was so pissed and shocked!

message 3: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (kellieag) I agree Lynn, that part was very memorable. Another part I couldn't get out of my head was when Rex set Jeannette up to be left with Robbie, then didn't care that he attacked her. I couldn't really view him in the same way after that.

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) What surprised me the most was how similar Rex was to my father, and how similar my life would have been if my mother was different. All the excuses about why he didn't have any money along with why they would suddenly have to leave a town were all familiar.

It was also interesting because my boss read it in her book group of fairly wealthy women and she said that it really opened her eyes to how other people live.

message 5: by Meg (new)

Meg | 2 comments I completely agree with you Lynn. That's the part that I remembered most right when I put the book down. I researched Walls right after and there was a video of her and her mom recently and it seems they have a great relationship. I am happy they seem to be close but I think that it'd be hard for me to think of my mom the same way after seeing that. I don't see how a mother can do that do her own kids. The book really made me think and I am so grateful for my life now. I also think it's amazing that most of the children grew up so well and successful. It's very inspiring.

message 6: by jessi (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 157 comments I thought it was so interesting how smart Rex and Rose Mary were. I mean, they read so much, knew a lot of interesting things, were interested and somewhat knowledgeable when it came to the arts, and all that, but then they couldn't even keep steady jobs and budget money to live on.

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I think they were trying to be "individual" and rebellious by not giving into society, which is fine as long as your are the only ones sacrificing. But they had children depending on them and while I respect saying screw you to the man there comes a point when you need to put your ideals of a back burner in order to put food on the table.

message 8: by Hanna (new)

Hanna (ohanners) 1. Despite the unstable childhood, I think the children got incredible opportunities, and a bit of luck, that helped them attain success in adulthood. Like how Lori got to New York City by getting the babysitting offer (even after her dad taking all the money they saved).

2. It didn't feel like tragedy after tragedy, and I admire the way she painted the portrait of her parents not distorting them into drunks and child neglecters and the source of all the hurt she felt growing up, but as human beings.

The Rex and Rose Mary that she described are real, captivating and strong in their sense of who they are. They just carry on being who they are and you can't change people like that. I applaud the author for coming to terms with the truth and living with it, just as it is.

3. And I don't think I'll ever look at a homeless person the same way again, now that I see everyone has a story, no matter where you end up in life there's a past behind it.

I could go back and read this one again and again. Loved it!

message 9: by Annie (new)

Annie Hartman (anniebananie) | 242 comments I agree with Hanna. I liked the way she viewed her parents. It was, Im sure, an extremely difficult thing to come to terms with. I can not imagine living the way they did especially in the shack on Little Hobart Street.
However, I couldnt help but get really angry with Rex and Rose Mary. Not only did they have children, they had FOUR children. There was no way these two people could even take care of one. I grew up in an area that has the greatest poverty rate in the State of Vermont and I have to say, as the daughter of two public educators, we have had many a student to our house for dinner that have come from homes like these. It makes me really angry when parents are so selfish that chilidren, like Jeannette and her siblings, have to fend for themselves in such a hard world.
There is a difference between parents that try to provide and come up short and parents who neglect. I just could not appreciate her parents because they did just neglect all FOUR children. And then expected things from them!
How she came to terms with this is beyond me- she is a better person than I am!

However, I really did enjoy this book, outside of being really upset with Rex and Rose Mary's immature and neglectful behaviors.