The Capital of the World > First Impressions *no spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 219 comments Mod
Kick us off, Gary.

message 2: by Gary (new)

Gary | 400 comments Mod
I just read this story tonight. Plan to read it again. First impressions???? MACHO MACHO MAN!!! *village people*. I WANNA BE A MACHO MAN!! bullfighting, sparring, all macho , shit, eh??? hemingway loved to spar with boxing,and play with knives, etc. that's my first impression of the story.

message 3: by Gary (new)

Gary | 400 comments Mod
all things masculine, macho. proving how tough men are. that is a theme that runs in many of hemingway's stories.

message 4: by Gary (new)

Gary | 400 comments Mod
matadors are the ultimate in cool, debonair, sexy,and masculine. i mean being chased by a bull. how can anything be any more tough,and macho then that????

hemingway loved watching men be men, i do believe. and many times he wanted to be right in the middle of it. however, in this story........ things don't turn out exactly as they planned.........

message 5: by Jotrys (new)

Jotrys | 10 comments First thoughts: Hemingway made use of his near death experience in this story

message 6: by Gio (new)

Gio (giobannaschlitz) first thoughts for me - would paco have suffered the same fate if he had had a masculine presence in his life as opposed to be surrounded (and i suspect) babied by the women in his life. instead of being a man, he dreamed of being one, and reality stabbed him defiantly.

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) My experience of being a man is that it is like being stabbed defiantly. Is that too gloomy? LOL