Historical Fictionistas discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 189 (189 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3723 comments Mod
So, I just watched the first episode of HBO's Rome, and HOLY CRAP! It was freakin' awesome. O_O

First, let me say that Ciaran Hinds (who, if you are a Jane Austen fan, should spring INSTANTLY to mind as the writer of one of the best love letters in existence when he played Captain Wentworth in Persuasion - the good BBC version anyway) is really good as Caesar. He hasn't had a heck of a lot going on, but I feel that he is just going to be great.

Titus Pullo had me CRACKING up! I love his bribery/prayer... "If you let me out of here, (god), I will sacrifice a white sheep for you... or, if I can't get a good one at a decent price, I'll definitely kill six pigeons." LMAO.

It's so... TWISTED too. Everyone is out to get everyone else and they don't care who they have to sacrifice to do it.

Oh my gosh. I'm going to love this show. <3

message 2: by Becky, Moddess (new)

So, umm... yeah, we can use this thread for whatever shows you like pertaining to HF, or we can just have a Rome love-fest. I'm good either way. :D

message 3: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I do want to see The Tudors! Thank you for reminding me! *scoots over to Netflix*

message 4: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Oh gosh!! The Tudors are available online!!

message 5: by Becky, Moddess (new)

LOL

message 6: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 247 comments Did anyone see Crusoe, the series based on Robinson Crusoe? I thought the scenes in England were wonderful, and that the friendship between Crusoe and Friday was great.

message 7: by Becky, Moddess (new)

No, I haven't seen that one Shomeret... I don't think I've even heard of it. =\

I did however, just watch the first episode of The Tudors on Netflix, and it was really good. Fi's right, Henry Cavill is gorgeous.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Henry Cavill is my fave! In our Tudor History group he has gotten a lot of talk. He plays Henry's best friend, Charles Brandon, and boy I could sit and watch him all day long. He is worth the whole show.

message 9: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Yes... Too bad he wasn't cast as Henry. *sigh*

message 10: by Becky, Moddess (new)

But no, then I probably wouldn't like him as much. Henry's kind of a shit.

message 11: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I really like Ciaran Hinds, but he does NOT fit the picture of Caesar I have carried in my heart for years. If I tore up that picture...he'd be perfect.

Pullo is the best. Ever. Naked. Clothed. Just ever!@-@!

message 12: by Becky, Moddess (new)

He gets naked?? O_O

message 13: by Becky, Moddess (new)

See, now I am going to read FMIR, and I'm going to picture these characters... or characters similar to them... I probably should have waited to watch it! *sigh*

message 14: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Ha ha! I reread the first two in the series between the first and second season of Rome, and with the exception of Hinds, they were perfect! Even Titus and Pullo fit characters in the books.

message 15: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Yeah, but I like to create my own characters... And I've ruined that for myself now. That's one of the reasons I still won't watch True Blood, despite Thomas being completely addicted. (That's where he is right now, actually, at a True Blood watching "party")

*sigh* Oh well.. Did you say Pullo got NAKED?

message 16: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I did! I think it's "from behind" naked, but the man has buns and thighs of granite!

message 17: by Becky, Moddess (new)

:) Thomas watched it with me, and he said "Holy crap there's a lot of (man parts) in this show!!!" LOL

And of course I made him close his eyes when there were lady parts on TV. His virgin eyes shouldn't be corrupted you know. :P

message 18: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I'm pretty sure he was peeking though. The sneak. ;)

message 19: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Ummm. yeah, I bet he was!

Has anyone seen Deadwood? I loved it so much, my friends all chipped in and got me all three seasons on dvd for my birthday. I can watch them over and over, but they are not P.C.. Very, very rough, dirty, profane...in the extreme. If you watch the extras it explains why, and I believe it.

message 20: by Becky, Moddess (new)

No, I never really had any interest in that one... I never really got into westerns. I think the extent of my Western entertainment was reading Shane in 3rd grade and reading the Dark Tower series. LOL

message 21: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Well, I've seen each episode...lots! Some can still make me cry or feel a bit nauseated. They are very, very good. To me:D

message 22: by Becky, Moddess (new)

What's it about? The only thing I know about it is that it's a western, and that automatically makes me think of shows like Gunsmoke and Bonanza, lol. But it's probably nothing like that.

Maybe I will add it to my queue... If you like it, its probably really good and I'm just being silly.

message 23: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Oh, I just looked and Timothy Olyphant is in that one. I like him. :) Anyway, I've added all three seasons.

message 24: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I know this isn't HF related, but did you ever watch The Wire?

message 25: by Kandice (new)

Kandice It's about the gold rush in the Blackhills. The first few episodes lead up to the death of Wild Bill Hickock. Deadwood was a bump in the road near an excellent vein, and a small, rough, dirty town was built up by a man named Swearengen. This is true...the tavern he owned, The Gem, even then, would pull in $5,000 a night! Every single night!

The entire series shows the development of the town and the Dakota's becoming part of the U.S.A. It's very, very political. NOT at all like Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Rawhide...not even a little.

message 26: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Hmm... Sounds interesting!

message 27: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I'm not a big western fan either. I watched Bonanza as a kid but only because I had crushes. Big Valley...same thing. This is not that kind of show. It's historically accurate.

message 28: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I'll check it out. THanks! By the way, did you watch The Wire? I love that show. I love Dominic West.

message 29: by Kandice (new)

Kandice No, I've never seen it. I know it's beginning to sound like I watch a lot of t.v., but really, I don't. Really! I swear:D

message 30: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 516 comments I was so bummed when they canceled Rome.It was awesome. The last couple episodes though you could tell they were trying to wrap it all up and they fizzeled

message 31: by Kandice (new)

Kandice They canceled it because of the expense. It was very popular as far as HBO goes, it just wouldn't have been possible to continue on a smaller budget, but keep the authenticity. They opted to stop with Octavian's coup. I HATE him!

message 32: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 247 comments Fiona wrote: "Shomeret wrote: "Did anyone see Crusoe, the series based on Robinson Crusoe? I thought the scenes in England were wonderful, and that the friendship between Crusoe and Friday was great."

What is ..."

The series was called Crusoe. It was on NBC airing on Saturdays. I believe that very few people watched it. I liked it a great deal.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I liked Crusoe also, but it was on at a time when I couldn't watch. I started to tape it, but never seemed to have time to watch it, so I just thought I would get the DVDs from netflx eventually. Sorry to see it go.

message 34: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) | 53 comments I've always planned to read The Pillars of the Earthone of these days and now I see it will be a mini-series on cable but darn it... I don't get STARZ (starts Friday 7/23)! Everybody and his uncle is in the cast.

message 35: by Felina (last edited Jul 06, 2010 09:24AM) (new)

Felina | 520 comments Woot! I have starz. But I haven't read the book yet so I should probably record them and save them up and get reading Pillars.

Am I the only one who doesn't think Henry Cavill is that attractive? I mean as a lean fit young man he has his place but that hot? I think not. Now the lead for Sparticus: Blood and Sand - Andy Whittenfield...thats hot!

message 36: by Anna (new)

Anna Anderson (annaanderson) | 144 comments Sandra wrote: "I've always planned to read The Pillars of the Earthone of these days and now I see it will be a mini-series on cable but darn it... I don't get STARZ (starts Friday 7/23)! Everybody a..."

What? I have read Pillars of the Earth and loved it, but it is only coming on STARZ? Do you think they will eventually release it out on DVD? We don't get STARZ either and I would LOVE to see it.

message 37: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2467 comments Mod
Sandra wrote: "I've always planned to read The Pillars of the Earthone of these days and now I see it will be a mini-series on cable but darn it... I don't get STARZ (starts Friday 7/23)! Everybody a..."

I saw that. They have behind the scenes stuff on Oprah.com if anyone is interested. Unfortunately I don't have STARZ, so I'll be waiting for DVD.

message 38: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (last edited Jul 06, 2010 11:10AM) (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2467 comments Mod
Felina wrote: "Am I the only one who doesn't think Henry Cavill is that attractiveAm I the only one who doesn't think Henry Cavill is that attractive? I mean as a lean fit young man he has his place but that hot? I think not. Now the lead for Sparticus: Blood and Sand - Andy Whittenfield...thats hot! "

You're crazy.

:P

message 39: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited Jul 06, 2010 11:29AM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2957 comments I have Starz, I was excited to find out they are doing Pillars of the Earth and I LOVE the Tudors. I like Henry Cavil, and I love Jonathan Rhys Myers as Henry 8. I like the guy who played Eustece Chapauys. I have Rome on my netflix list. I have a guy friend who is very into Rome. I also love Spartacus of Blood and Sand. Yes, the guy who plays Spartacus is cute.

message 40: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 172 comments Just so you know, The movie, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, is on instant viewing on netflix.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2957 comments already?

message 42: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 172 comments Yep. It was there this afternoon ready to watch.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2957 comments It says the movie is rated R. Is the book that graphic that the movie deserves a rated R rating?

message 44: by Danielle (last edited Jul 06, 2010 09:27PM) (new)

Danielle | 172 comments I'm not sure. I know that there are some terrible scenes in the book but from what I've heard is that the scenes are not so graphic you can't handle them. Did you make the choice for the extra credit 3?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2957 comments extra credit 3?

message 46: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 172 comments Yeah for the challenge. The extra task to read a book that is either fantasy or alternate history.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2957 comments That is my own task and yes.

message 48: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 172 comments Jayme wrote: "That is my own task and yes."

ok. I was just wondering if Cat's Cradle counted towards that. I am trying to figure out a book that will work for that task, a book that I already own.

message 49: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited Jul 06, 2010 11:00PM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2957 comments I would accept anything fantasy like dragons, unicorns, elves, queens, kings (not considered HF), fairy tales, anything from the Narnia series, anything that is set in a made up land. Does that help? I don't think Cat's Cradle will work. The world is considered futuristic and I don't consider that fantasy.

message 50: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 172 comments That helps! I'm sure I have something somewhere...Thanks!

« previous 1 3 4