Short Stories & Collections > Children of the Corn-NS

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2543 comments Mod
Discuss this story here!

message 2: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

This story is freaking scary! First off never turn off the highway.. NEVER! Second don't go on a trip with someone you hate. And why didn't the wife start honking as soon as she saw the kids instead of later. And what was with the boy they hit anyways? Was he trying to get away?

Betsy Boo (betsyboo) | 195 comments I'm glad I read this again. The movie just about ruined this story for me. It is really scary, but I thought the movie was just dumb.
I think that boy was trying to escape.

message 4: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 1099 comments Mod
It's a good reason to just stay the hell out of Nebraska

Lonnie Angie wrote: "First off never turn off the highway.. NEVER!"

About the time this movie was out I was living in Iowa and I never even thought about the corn. Then one day I was with some friends riding in the cornfields on three wheelers. I was zipping down a row, cornstalks slapping my arms and towering over my head. I could only see about 10 feet in front and not very far behind. All of a sudden I heard “Malachai” in my head and just about wrecked. I could just imagine that skinny freaky redhead kid stepping out of a row with a huge knife. I promptly got turned around and headed back to the farm getting out of the corn as fast as I could.

After that experience I never had any other freaky thoughts and I have spent a LOT of time traveling the back roads of Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas farm roads as well as walking many rows of harvested corn during pheasant season.

Rachel | 701 comments The story is so much scarier than the movie. I like how not everything is explained in the story and it really makes you feel like you stumbled into something bad but you don't know what exactly. Religious zeal is something that has always scared me. Frankly, any beliefs so strong that make people hurt other people that don't share those beliefs scare me. The movie has really cheesy special effects and, in my opinion, besides the corn and children, bares little resemblance to the story in tone and theme.

message 7: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Doesn't the movie make the kids have like really blonde hair? I don't remember reading that in the story (and I haven't seen the movie yet).

Kandice | 3943 comments Mlacahi (sp?) has red hair and freckles, but I don't remember the other kids.

Lonnie all the kids look like normal kids. That's why the couple aren't freaked out immediately.

Angie,
I think you are thinking of another movie (Village of the Damned?)

message 10: by Gary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gary | 1 comments this is a short story, in which collection??? i was trying to remember!!

message 11: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

OH maybe that's it, Village of the Damned.
Gary... are you talking about Children of the Corn? It is in the collection Night Shift which is our group read this month! :)

message 12: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

I think there is a new edition of this movie was on sometime last week that Stephen King wrote the screen play for, did anyone watch it?

message 13: by Lori (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lori (barfield) OMG it was worse then the first. Just bad all the way around. :( Sure wish they would stop making crap out of good books.

message 14: by Jaice (new) - added it

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 114 comments Angie wrote: "I think there is a new edition of this movie was on sometime last week that Stephen King wrote the screen play for, did anyone watch it? "

It was on Syfy on Saturday (9/26) night and it was awful. ALL of the sequels to the original were better than this remake, if that gives you any idea how bad it was. I could not believe SK was associated with it.

message 15: by Lori (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lori (barfield) Yeah you & me both! :(

message 16: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna | 64 comments Loved this story--creepy corn--I can't look at corn the same way anymore! I recorded the movie on scifi and have yet to watch it--did it follow the story at all?

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I actually liked the original movie.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments lol. Yeah, yeah. Well, at least no one can say that I follow the pack.

message 19: by Lori (last edited Oct 14, 2009 10:38AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lori (barfield) You've got to stand up for what you believe! :)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I know. I'm not apologizing. I do like it! If I'm the only one, so be it! :)

message 21: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna | 64 comments I liked the original movie but I have yet to see the new version---wish I had more time in the day!

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Yay, I'm not the only one! :)

message 23: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna | 64 comments nope you are never alone in a group like this :)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Thats good to know. I haven't seen the new version from the Sci Fi Channel, but from the reviews I don't think I'm missing much. I tried sitting through one of the sequels but that was a mistake. lol

Rachel | 701 comments yeah in one of the sequels i watched they lowered the age of going into the corn to 18.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments 18? Those kids would've had no life! I thought the kids that played Malachai and Isaac in the original were so creepy! Loved them!

Rachel | 701 comments Rob wrote: "You mean they could go into the corn, but they couldn't even have a BEER? The humanity!!!"

you can't have a beer at 19, either Rob, but at least they could've voted for a year! or bought a pack of cigarettes!

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments They killed off their parents....I don't think anyone was going stop them from having a beer! lol

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments It didn't stop alot of us! lol

message 30: by Rachel (last edited Oct 28, 2009 10:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel | 701 comments ok let me rephrase that cuz it never really stopped me either...if there's no one over 18 who's BUYING the beer? Oh and I imdb'd this movie and it has Eva Mendes and Alexis Arquette in it (in a male role).

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Alexis Arquette???

Rachel | 701 comments related to Patricia Arquette...remember in the wedding singer the back up singer who always wants to sing that Boy George song,"Do You Really Want To Hurt Me"? That's Alexis Arquette.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Yeah, I know who he is. And I know that he/she is a woman now. So I was surprised. I just had to look it up. It was Children of the Corn 5: Fields of Terror. That was awhile ago. I didn't realize those movies went that high. lol

Rachel | 701 comments haha yeah the Sy Fy Marathon stopped at Children of The Corn:666

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments lol. And what's with that anyway??? SyFy? I feel like everything has to be simplified! What was wrong with SciFi?

Rachel | 701 comments i don't know. SyFy sounds "cool"?

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments It just bugs me. Everything seems to be dumbed down, ya know? Its just a pet peeve, I guess. Rant over. lol

Rachel | 701 comments hehe i know, it bugs me too. it's all "text speak" where people spell incorrectly or use short because it's faster, then people stop knowing how to spell.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Yeah, I think the entire world knows what SciFi means? Why does it have to be cutesified (is that a word? lol) with Ys?

Rachel | 701 comments because some middle aged executive thinks that the change will get a larger younger audience? cheaper than making decent programming!

message 41: by Kathy (last edited Oct 28, 2009 11:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Ahh, that makes sense! (I say that with all the sarcasm, I can muster! lol)

Kandice | 3943 comments I can embarassingly admit...when they switched from Sci-Fi to SyFy, I tried to boycott the damned channel, but I am such a geek that it only lasted a week or two.
*sigh*

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I know it's impossible. Forgot "I Want My MTV!" (Who remembers that one? lol) "I Want My SciFi Channel!

message 44: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (horrorshow) | 62 comments I liked the old creepy version with that snotty faced red headed kid, Malachia better than the catalog model version and the pinched faced Isaac. The new movie's Isaac was just too frickin' cute and irresitable screeching about God's wrath and defiler of corn stuff that you just wanna dash over to him and hug him and squeeze him until he poops his pants!

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Patrick wrote: "I liked the old creepy version with that snotty faced red headed kid, Malachia better than the catalog model version and the pinched faced Isaac. The new movie's Isaac was just too frickin' cute an..."

Definitely not! Isaac is supposed to creep you out, not make you want to hug him! lol

Kandice | 3943 comments And certainly not until he poops his pants!

Dung Beetle (dungbeetle) | 79 comments "SyFy" makes me want to pronounce it "Siffy".

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Kandice wrote: "And certainly not until he poops his pants! "

Definitely not! lol

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Rob wrote: "I stopped watching Sci-Fi Channel a long time ago. Do they ever play anything worth watching anymore?

Waitaminute. Someone related to Patricia Arquette had a sex change and is now playing th..."

It's not the new movie. It was made several years ago. lol

message 50: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

OK I will admit it... I like SyFy. I think it looks cool. :)

« previous 1