This topic is about Night Shift

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2535 comments Mod
Discuss story here!

message 2: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2535 comments Mod
Not sure what to think of this story. I just feel like there was some way they could've escaped. Another thing that bothered me was how would oil be pumped in order to get to the pumps? Though it is kinda freaky to think that cars, trains, planes, and such would turn against us.

Stacie (stacieh) I wasn't really impressed with the story which surprised me since I DO like the movie. Yes, Rob is entirely correct... the movie is bad but I love sitting down with friends and ripping it apart, shouting out cheesy lines of dialog (Curtis? Are you dead?!), rocking out to the AC/DC soundtrack... I think I was expecting the story to have the same campy feeling the movie does and was disappointed. Plus, I've found that I seem to have a harder time suspending disbelief with evil machines. Aliens, monsters, possessed children... sure, no problem! Evil self-aware machines... not so much. (rolls eyes at self) Go figure!

message 4: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 1095 comments Mod
Rob wrote: "Curtis' wife (Yeardly Smith, right?) is the most annoying character I've ever seen in a movie!
..."

I haven't been able to stand her in anything since.

As far as the story goes, this to me is the best example of how a cheesy, goofy idea works so well for King when he writes the story out. This is why his movies suck: you just can't translate his word to screen when it's something this goofy. He couldn't even do it himself (King directed Maximum Overdrive). But his wordsmithing makes it effective.

Dung Beetle (dungbeetle) | 79 comments Rob wrote: "Curtis' wife (Yeardly Smith, right?) is the most annoying character I've ever seen in a movie!

Funny you should say that…I’m listening to Nightmares and Dreamscapes right now, which has a lot of famous voice talent, and I’m right in the middle of the story read by Yeardley Smith (Rainy Season). It’s kind of strange to hear Lisa Simpson say “fuck”.

message 6: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee | 15 comments I thought it was a pretty awesome little story. The whole not-escaping thing irritated me though. Few of King's short stories have the obstacle/problem actually overcome though D:

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

The story was So Much Better than the Movie, of course. But I do believe Stephen King himself, directer it. :)

LinBee Dung Beetle wrote: "Rob wrote: "Curtis' wife (Yeardly Smith, right?) is the most annoying character I've ever seen in a movie!

Funny you should say that…I’m listening to Nightmares and Dreamscapes right now, which h..."

Ahh, that's who it was! I knew the voice sounded familiar, but couldn't place it. I'm up to Umney's Last Case on the N & D book on cd.

alicia grant (shesha34) I liked this story and wanted it to be a little longer,more people and some more trucks taking people out.I liked the idea of humans being slaves to the machines.I know i'm sick sometimes.

message 10: by Tek (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tek | 93 comments I thought the movie was alright. :)