UK Book Club discussion

Almost Monthly Books > First monthly book read

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (last edited Aug 31, 2009 12:02PM) (new)

Zoe (zobo77) | 532 comments Mod
A few people commented on the poll suggesting that it would be good to read a book as a group (which hopefully also helps with the A - Z author challenge) which we can then discuss.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a book they'd like to read and discuss as a group?

message 2: by Caroline (last edited Aug 31, 2009 11:35PM) (new)

Caroline | 15 comments I'll just suggest 2 books from my TBR pile to start the suggestions off :- Stardust - Neil Gaiman and Dissolution by C.J.Sansom

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3620 comments The Shadow in the Wind and Love in the Time of Cholera have been on my bookcase forever!

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo I ordered Stardust yesterday so i woulld like to second that one! I also ordered The Bell Jar which i would like to suggest too

message 5: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

All these suggestions sound good to me! I think I'll leave it a few more days and then create a poll which people can then vote on for one book and see what happens!

message 6: by Sam (last edited Nov 04, 2009 03:10AM) (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments I'd second Dissolution by CJ Sansom, I've read Stardust already (very good by the way, far far far better than the film). As to what else my want to read list is far too long to post so I'm open...

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3620 comments I read Dissolution this year but have the others in the series and I also have The Bell Jar on my bookcase too.

message 8: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3398 comments Mod
They all sound good suggestions, I have read Love in the Time of Cholera but it was along time ago and I'd be very happy to read it again. Both Stardust or The Bell Jar would be great and The Shadow of the Wind is already on my want to read list.
I haven't heard of Dissolution - will look it up. How about Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (might be a bit long) or The Virgin Suicides (shorter!!)- both on my want to read list too....

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo The Virgin Suicides is good. I read it last month

message 10: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I've created the poll for the first monthly book read, and it ends on the 16th of September, which is when I return from Spain. I'll then make sure I get hold of the book before I leave for my next holiday and read it while I'm there!

message 11: by Sally (new)

Sally (larwos) | 22 comments How about adding "The Time Traveller's Wife to the mix. I've been nagged by my daughters to read it for years. Now I am,I am fascinated.

message 12: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

The Time Traveller's Wife is quite a good book, I'll add it to the list for next month! :-)

message 13: by Jo (new)

Jo I loved that book

message 14: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

The poll for the first book read has ended and the winner is Stardust

message 15: by Jo (new)

Jo Yay! I have that book at home. When will we be reading it?

message 16: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I'm guessing that some people need to get the book still and may wish to finish reading anything else they've already started, so if we say, all tried to get it finished by the last weekend of September, then we can discuss it for a two weeks while the next book is decided and so on. That should give everyone enough time to get hold of it and talk about it!

message 17: by Jo (new)

Jo Ok cool. I have 2 books on the go at the moment but once i am done i will read it as i have been struggling to find time to read recently

message 18: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

That sounds cool! :D

message 19: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 15 comments The book is already on my TBR pile so I will start it after the book I am currently reading.I have had it to read for a while so I'm looking forward to reading it.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I have just picked my book up from the library tonight. Can't wait to start.