UK Book Club discussion

50 Books in a Year > Starting 1st January 2010

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Zoe (zobo77) | 532 comments Mod
The most selected option on the poll for what to do is the 50 books in a year challenge, but I thought that, seeing as it's not that long 'til the end of the year, and everyone's still doing the A - Z author challenge that I'd start the challenge on 1st January as it's then easier to keep track of how long there is to go until the end of the challenge.

Does everyone agree that this is a good time to start, or do you think that it should start sooner?

message 2: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 15 comments I agree the 1st of January is a good time to start.If we are still doing the A-Z CHALLENGE I presume the books read can count for both challenges ?If so I would do both challenges.

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Ooo brilliant, just one question though what was the BBC big challenge, I tried googling it but nothing came up.

message 4: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Yeah, I think that the books read should count for both challenges. There will be quite a few people who haven't finished the A - Z challenge by the 1st of Jan I should expect and it would encourage people to do both :-)

Just realised that I missed out a word - I meant to write the BBC Big Reads Challenge - basically read all the books on the BBC Big Reads book list.

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Aha, I'll try that then and have a nosey. might combine them a bit, make it easier to choose what to read, theres just too many I tell yea lol

message 6: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Yeah, that's not a bad idea! I've already read about 1/5 of the books on the Big Read just through coincidence, you'll probably find you have too!

message 7: by Sam (last edited Sep 02, 2009 07:54AM) (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Looking at it I've certaintly read a fair few of them, some I've never heard of mind lol and I notice that Midnight's Children is on there too :-)

message 8: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3402 comments Mod
When I googled 'BBC Big Read' it took me to a list dating from 2003, but I recently got sent the BBC's latest list (via Facebook), is this the one?

1 Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
2 The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
3 Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
4 Harry Potter series - JK Rowling
5 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
6 The Bible
7 Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
8 Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell
9 His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
10 Great Expectations - Charles Dickens

11 Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
12 Tess of the D’Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
13 Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
14 Complete Works of Shakespeare
15 Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
16 The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
17 Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks
18 Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
19 The Time Traveler’s Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
20 Middlemarch - George Eliot

21 Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell
22 The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald
23 Bleak House - Charles Dickens
24 War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
25 The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
27 Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
28 Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
29 Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
30 The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame

31 Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
32 David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
33 Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis
34 Emma - Jane Austen
35 Persuasion - Jane Austen
36 The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - CS Lewis
37 The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
38 Captain Corelli’s Mandolin - Louis De Bernieres
39 Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
40 Winnie the Pooh - AA Milne

41 Animal Farm - George Orwell
42 The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
43 One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
44 A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
45 The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
46 Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery
47 Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
48 The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood
49 Lord of the Flies - William Golding
50 Atonement - Ian McEwan

51 Life of Pi - Yann Martel
52 Dune - Frank Herbert
53 Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons
54 Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
55 A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth
56 The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
57 A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
58 Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
59 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night - Mark Haddon
60 Love In The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

61 Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
62 Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
63 The Secret History - Donna Tartt
64 The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
65 Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
66 On The Road - Jack Kerouac
67 Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy
68 Bridget Jones’s Diary - Helen Fielding
69 Midnight’s Children - Salman Rushdie
70 Moby Dick - Herman Melville

71 Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
72 Dracula - Bram Stoker
73 The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
74 Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson
75 Ulysses - James Joyce
76 The Inferno - Dante
77 Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome
78 Germinal - Emile Zola
79 Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray
80 Possession - AS Byatt

By the way, you must mean January 2010 for the start date? (We'd have all missed it if it was 2009!!) ;)

message 9: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Damn I was looking at the 2003 list which went up to 200 books, never mind doesn't look like theres many differences.

message 10: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I think they're very similar. Will probably suggest the 2003 list as it's easier for everyone to find!

And I think 2010 is probably a better idea than 2009! Will change that quickly. Thanks Liz!!

message 11: by Terri (new)

Terri | 31 comments Is this the list we use for this challenge or is it any 50 books?

message 12: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Any 50 books :)

message 13: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 50 comments I think this will be a good excuse for me to finally tackle my to-read shelf!

message 14: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Where would people like to keep track of what books they've read? I can think of either we have one topic which we all post into and it gets reaaaally long, or each individual person makes one, and then they'll know how many books they've read by the number of posts they've made. Or everyone could post in the same topic but just keep editing the same post. What d'ya all think?
Ps. Hope you all had a great Xmas!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3622 comments On 75 Book Group we each had our own post and just added to it as the year progressed. I managed over the 75 and now about 100 or more!

message 16: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

That's a lot of books!! I don't think I'd have the time to read that many unless I started to enjoy short stories as well as longer ones!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3622 comments Most of my reading is done on my night shifts as I have patients who are at the end of life so are not needing my attention so much due to heavy sedation etc I just check them throughout the night for changes and do what needs doing, it still leaves a lot of hours to kill and helps me stay awake too!

message 18: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments I am on my first book of 2010 and I am going to reach fifty book read this year it is going to be hard to reach fifty. Last year I manage to read about twenty book and that was not good I think I read the year before I'm not sure. I think this might be a to big of a target but you never know until you have a go at it.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Could we create a bookshelf that people could post their books to? I would find that a good way of seeing what's been read (for some ideas of what to read). It would also be good if people could put some info about the book (and if they enjoyed it) as a guide to others.

message 20: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Yeah that's not a bad idea :) If everyone links to the book and writes a sentence or two about what they thought then it'll be easy for people to get ideas!
Would you suggest everyone posting to the same bookshelf or individual ones for each person? Individual ones would make it easier to keep track of how many everyone's read...

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

hmm. My thinking behind a central one was that it would make it easier to see what everyone has been reading. I'm still getting familiar with the functionality of the site. Could people put entries in their own topics but post the book to the central bookshelf? I bow to the more powerful users of GoodReads :)

message 22: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Yep that's possible! I'll make a bookshelf and if people want they can add the books :)

message 23: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Ok, if anyone wants to add their read books to the bookshelf, go to the group bookshelves, find the book that you want to add and add it to the group choosing the 'read' shelf and the '2010' shelf :) If you get confused just post here and someone will reply asap :)

message 24: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Zoe wrote: "Ok, if anyone wants to add their read books to the bookshelf, go to the group bookshelves, find the book that you want to add and add it to the group choosing the 'read' shelf and the '2010' shelf ..."

Great idea, do we add in our rating and comments...nope wait just had a thought that could be complicated if a book is read more than once probably not a good idea...

message 25: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

The ratings and comments don't go in the bookshelf - it shows the overall rating but not individual ones

message 26: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Aha kooky, glad you know what your doing lol ;-)

message 27: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Haha, not always! :)

message 28: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Lol you know you shouldn't admit that in public lol!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I think if you rate or comment on the book then all that data gets added to the entry in the bookshelf. By this I mean, go to bookshelf, click View next to the book in question. A summary page opens for that book including who's read it, commented, etc.

message 30: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments So it does, well spotted :-)