Everything Paranormal discussion

Archives > September- What Are You Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 103 (103 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~, The Restorer (new)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 1227 comments Mod
Tell us what you are reading this month.

message 2: by Susan (Suz) (last edited Aug 31, 2009 03:31PM) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Well even tho it's technically still August as I type this I just started Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm starting When Twilight Burns at midnight :)

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren i am about 100 pages into A Stroke of Midnight (Meredith Gentry, #4)

message 5: by Michelle B (new)

Michelle B (karenshell) | 370 comments Mod
I'm reading The Accidental Vampire and Faefever.

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne I'm starting Shiver, by Maggie Steifvater.

message 7: by new_user (new)

new_user Oh, I wanted to read that one, Anne!

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne new_user wrote: "Oh, I wanted to read that one, Anne!"

I like it so far. I should be able to finish it today! I really like the blue lettering for some reason. It borders on cheesy, but it also kind of adds to the story.

message 9: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) Finishing Gil's All Fright Diner and starting Uglies. I'm hoping to get On the Prowl in the next couple of days because I already have Cry Wolf and refuse to read it until AFTER I read the short! lol

message 10: by Anne (new)

Anne Wait! I just added Cry Wolf to my hold list at the library! What is the short I need to read first?!

message 11: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) It's in the On the Prowl anthology. I'm told you have to read it first otherwise you'll be confused in Cry Wolf. lol Besides, On the Prowl has a lot of shorts from authors I already read and love.

message 12: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Anne wrote: "Wait! I just added Cry Wolf to my hold list at the library! What is the short I need to read first?!"

I've never read the short story, Anne, and I didn't have any problems.

message 13: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) I was told this by so many people I kinda freaked when I got Cry Wolf before On the Prowl. LOL Anne, if nothing else, read Cry Wolf and if it DOES confuse you, go back and read On The Prowl.
I am hoping to have an Alpha & Omega weekend!!

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 5 comments I am reading Dark Lover by J.R. Ward

message 15: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) lol Elvia--I finished off Hunting Grounds last night. And, while you CAN read Cry Wolf without the short story in On the Prowl first, you will have a better understanding of the beginning of the book if you do read the short first.

message 16: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) On The Prowl is in transit to me now thru the library so I should have it before Friday (crossing my fingers). I don't know why I'm getting all worked up though...I have 12 other books from the library to read still!!!

message 17: by new_user (new)

new_user If you don't read the short first, the first few chapters will be confusing, and you won't know of the events that led to Anna's place in the pack or her opinion of it (LOL) since Cry Wolf literally starts just as the short ends, so... I would recommend it. The author herself regrets that she didn't include the short with the book.

message 18: by Anne (new)

Anne Well that just sucks! My library does not have On the Prowl!

message 19: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) I had been searching for it online for two days before I realized it was in transit to me. On google you can only the first chapter or so. I would say scrape together $8-$10 and go buy it!! lol I know I was on the verge of doing that myself!!

message 20: by new_user (new)

new_user Read it at the store! LOL.

message 21: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) That's a good idea too!!! It shouldn't take very long to read it...isn't that why book stores have comfortable chairs anyway?! lol

message 22: by Ida (new)

Ida (platanus) | 2 comments I'm reading Vom Wasser. (from Water) from 'John von Düffel'. Don't know if there's an English translation of the book. It's quite different from the stuff you people are reading, but yet truely enjoyable. ^^

message 23: by Anne (new)

Anne Ok, Ida. Now I feel especially stupid. I wish I could speak another language...never mind being able to read a book in another language!

Great idea, guys! I think I'll pay a visit to the local bookstore to check out On the Prowl.

message 24: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) I just received a call from my library....On The Prowl is waiting for me! Going to pick it up tonight on my way home!!

message 25: by Ida (new)

Ida (platanus) | 2 comments It does not really have anything to do with the paranormal. ;P

message 26: by Anne (new)

Anne Elvia wrote: "I just received a call from my library....On The Prowl is waiting for me! Going to pick it up tonight on my way home!!"

I'll have to get you to give me a quick rundown on what happens in it. I'm not loving my local library right now.

message 27: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) Lol Anne! I'll give you info when I'm done!!

message 28: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) I am making an effort to read Dark Lover again. I tried once before and couldn't get into it. And frankly, its not appealing to me right now either. All I can do is think--what a PUTZ about Wrath. It's taken me 6 hours to make it to page 68. Sigh, in that time I should have FINISHED the silly book. Guess I'm not going to succeed this time either--unless I do it in stages--maybe it'll get better if I go read something else for a while then go back to it??

message 29: by Anne (new)

Anne Elvia wrote: "Lol Anne! I'll give you info when I'm done!!"

Thanks! I'm so jealous!

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 5 comments Ann wrote: "I am making an effort to read Dark Lover again. I tried once before and couldn't get into it. And frankly, its not appealing to me right now either. All I can do is think--what a PU..."
It hasn't been my favorite either. I don't think I will read the others. It is taking me quite a while to get through it. Much longer than it should.

message 31: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) I know Melissa--normally I can get through a 300 or so page book in 6 hours, but this is day TWO--and still haven't gotten anywhere with this book. Sigh, I really don't understand the appeal it has for so many.

message 32: by Anne (new)

Anne Ann wrote: "I know Melissa--normally I can get through a 300 or so page book in 6 hours, but this is day TWO--and still haven't gotten anywhere with this book. Sigh, I really don't understand the appeal it ha..."

I have Dark Lover on hold at the library. I'd heard it was so good! Ugh. Is it just boring or what?

message 33: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) I'm not sure what the problem is Anne. I tried reading it once before, but just couldn't get into it then (too much going on in real life, and I couldn't handle anything that was remotely negative at the time.) So I got rid of my copies of the books, and didn't think any more about them until a bunch of people that I know started talking about how GREAT they are. So I decided to give it another try. But this first book is STILL not something I am able to get into. I've been told by different people that this is the "weakest" book in the series, and that maybe I should just skip it and go to book 2. So I'm thinking seriously about doing that. Especially since I seem to be averaging about 30 pages a day--and the book is due back at the library on Wed. and I can't renew it (too many people still on the reserve list.) I just have to decide if my OCD (I HATE not having read all the books in a series) will act up too badly if I just skip it, or if I should go ahead and force myself to read this book and possibly never be able to finish the series. Sigh, what to do, what to do. :oP

message 34: by Anne (new)

Anne I hate giving up on a book once I've started reading it! I'm slogging along right now with P&P and Zombies. It's not as much fun as I thought it would be. Grrr.

message 35: by new_user (new)

new_user You could always skim a few pages, LOL. I know a lot of people skip the lesser parts in the BDB books.

message 36: by Anne (new)

Anne True. I do a lot of skimming when I get stuck with a book that I think gives too many descriptions of unimportant things (clothes, scenery, weather, etc.).

message 37: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~, The Restorer (new)

I'm reading Darkest Whisper. Finished Hunting Ground and felt it was ok.

message 38: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) Finished three Briggs book this weekend - On the Prowl, Cry Wolf, and Bone Crossed. It was a good weekend but I'm all wolfed out now.
Going back to Uglies (hopefully to finish it this time).
BTW - I'm definitely a "skimmer" when it gets too descriptive.

message 39: by Anne (last edited Sep 08, 2009 09:32AM) (new)

Anne Good luck with the Uglies, Elvia. I should be starting Untamed (House of Night #4) today. I finished Pride and Prejudice and Zombies this morning. That book was awful.

message 40: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) Anne, I've heard that P&P and Zombies was one of those books where you have to have read P&P and really liked it first. I've never read either so I'm not sure. lol

message 41: by Anne (last edited Sep 08, 2009 09:36AM) (new)

Anne Noooo. I've read P&P many times and loved it. This sucked everything I loved out of P&P and then threw in some random ninjas and zombies. Reading this was like eating dirt.

message 42: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) LMAO...eating dirt. Maybe I'll take it off of my to-read list! haha

message 43: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) nnnooo Anne, don't say that. I LOVED P&P and am hoping for the best when its my turn to get P&P&Zs. Please, please, please don't tell me that all this waiting is going to be in vein (teeheehee, gotta get a pun in there somehow that has to do with our "reading preferences" right?)

message 44: by Anne (new)

Anne Well, I read some of the other reviews of P&P&Z. It seems that quite a few people thought it was great, so don't give up reading it on my account, girls! I know that several of my friends said that they couldn't finish it because it was too boring, but everyone has their own taste. Besides, now that I've said it was awful, you guys will be expecting the worst and probably end up liking it! Make sure you let me know what you think if you read it, though!

message 45: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) Well, I just finished Kitty Kitty. Its not quite as lol as the first book (Bad Kitty) but it is still funny. Especially the footnotes that are supposed to be conversations between Jas, BadJas (her evil alter ego), Tom, Polly and Roxy. Of course, discovering that the Evil Hench Mistress cousin Alyson (who is now calling herself Sapphyre and claiming to be a fairy) is a first rate hacker instead of the total moron everyone had previously assumed is funny. Still a good read, and now, just have to wait and see if there is a book 3.

message 46: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) I just finished Uglies..good book. Especially the last few chapters. All the action happens then.
I don't know what I'll be reading next yet. I have about 5-6 books to choose from from the library. lol

message 47: by Anne (new)

Anne I finally get to start Cry Wolf today! I finished Bit the Jackpot last night. It was really a cute book.

message 48: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) YAY ANNE!!! I really hope you enjoy it!

I started The Strain late last night and was already creeped out by the plane. lol I can't wait to read the rest this weekend!

message 49: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~, The Restorer (new)

@ Ann I thought Bit The Jackpot was a cute story as well. Now starting Thorn Queen. Hope you like Cry Wolf Ann because I loved it.

message 50: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~, The Restorer (new)

Ann wrote: "Well, I just finished Kitty Kitty. Its not quite as lol as the first book (Bad Kitty) but it is still funny. Especially the footnotes that are supposed to be conversa..."

Those books sounds interesting and I love a book that makes me lol. Must add to TBR.

« previous 1 3