Book Haven discussion

Dead Discussions > Time Traveler's Wife-finished (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
Discuss "The Time Traveler's Wife" after you have finished reading it... :)

What did you think of it?
Would you recommend it to others?
How many stars did you give it?
What was your favorite part?
etc... LOL

message 2: by Sasha (new)

Sasha I loved it, especially the ending.
This may sound weird, but I hate novels with a happy ending, if the story has to do crazy jumps and twists to get to that happy ending (example: Memoirs of a Geisha).

In this book, it's a happy ending when actually they don't really live happily ever after. I love this!

(Yeah, I'm a bit weird)

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo I really liked it. I would go as far as to say it was one of the best books i have ever read. I gave it 5 stars. The ending was very sad and i would have liked it to have been a little different but i still liked it. I really liked Henry in the book

message 4: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) Henry was great...even when you think he's probably not the greatest guy, he's real.
Sasja - that's not weird. I'm the same way. I like a book that isn't all cutesy and happy in the end. Give me reality, or at least as close as you can get in this kind of book.

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo I think that if the book had a happily ever after ending then it wouldnt have been as good. The ending it had, stuck with me and kept me thinking about it a while after reading it. Happily ever after can change a book from being really good to really cheesy even though i didnt want him to die, i still thought it was a good ending. I would have prefered it to end when he died or to have gone into more detail in the aftermath like how Alba got on being a time traveler and how Clare got her life back on track. I liked that she got to see him again when she was old though

message 6: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) Jo wrote: "I would have prefered it to end when he died or to have gone into more detail in the aftermath like how Alba got on being a time traveler and how Clare got her life back on track. I liked that she got to see him again when she was old though
"

That's what I was thinking too. I would have loved to see Alba grow up and see how she learned to time travel...because didn't she do it differently? She could actually pick and choose when and where she would go.

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo Yeah. In another thread about this book someone said that it would be cool for a spin off book all about Alba's time travelling experiences which i thought was a good idea. I'm not sure how it would work though with her turning up naked being a girl

message 8: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) yea for some reason that would be more disturbing than a naked man running around. She seemed to be very resourceful at such a young age I'm not sure she would have a problem.
Also, it seemed that in her "future", her condition was well-known so maybe they could make it not SO disturbing seeing as people might be used to the idea of naked people popping out of nowhere. lol

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo Lol yeah there is that. I am sure they must be able to find some way around having people running around naked everywhere! I guess though the book is called the time travelers wife so its Clares story not Alba's which might be why she didnt continue talking about Alba

message 10: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) Very true Jo. The could just change the name. lol

And I had a thought...they could have bins like you see for charity all over. Open and ready for those who pop up nude. lol Sounds handy doesn't it? haha

message 11: by Jo (new)

Jo Lol yeah that would be handy! Also if Alba has better control over her time travelling then maybe she can chose to go somewhere a bit more convienient like a clothes store or something!

message 12: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) Exactly!! lol

message 13: by Mawgojzeta (last edited Sep 15, 2009 02:36PM) (new)

Mawgojzeta I absolutely loved this book. So much that I do not know if I can bring myself to see the movie. I read it when it was a new release and recommended it to everyone. Five stars!

My favorite part is maybe weird. When, in the story, Clare's brother shoots Henry - not knowingly killing his sister's future husband. I believed this was his death when I read it. It made reading the rest of the story (knowing what I thought I knew) so much more emotional.

message 14: by Jo (new)

Jo It was so sad when Alba told him that he was dead when he time traveled to where she was. Especially because he had to hide it from Clare.

message 15: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) i really liked this book i found that i laughed and i cried which i like a book to be able to get my emotions going and this certainaly did that. i didnt like the ending though as it seemed a little abrupt we didnt get to find out how both alba and claire lived their lives after henry died however i did give it 5 stars and would definately recommend it. what i wouldnt recommend is the film version as it cut loads of things out you also didnt get to see much of henry going to visit claire in the past i was just really disappointed in the film

message 16: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) Now I'm really not sure if I'll see the film. The visiting in the past was a major part of the book...why would they cut a lot of it out? Makes no sense...silly film makers!! That must be why critics said you don't feel the chemistry or why it seemed like they were just thrown together. hmmm...

message 17: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) yeah i think he went 2 or 3 times my sister feel asleep she said it bored her. but these are just my opinions you might actually like it you never know

message 18: by Jo (new)

Jo I dont understand why they would cut that out either. The relationship wouldnt have the same effect

message 19: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 360 comments Loved the book - just finished listening to it for the 2nd time - saw the movie earlier this month and then wanted to revisit the book. I think I cried more the 2nd time I read it, there are just so many poignant scenes. I didn't really cry at all during the movie - got damp eyes a couple of times, mainly because I knew what led up to it or what was coming. My husband saw it with me, and was totally lost - shouldn't a movie be self-explanatory?

I agree with those who were disappointed in the movie, and for the same reasons. Not only did they not establish the history of their relationship, they seemed to emphasize the negative aspects, and had Henry & Clare at odds or fighting too often. I liked Gomez in the movie, tho - that's the only thing in the book that really weirded me out - when Gomez came on to Clare after Henry was dead, and she thought/pretended that Henry was time-traveling back to her; the man was married with children, for heaven's sake!

That said, I don't regret seeing the movie - it's nice to get visuals - little Clare and Alba were great, and the movie's 'adjusting' of certain scenes made for greater visual impact - 'winning' the lottery and finding the perfect house were done well.

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments So when I first was interested in reading 'The Time Traveler's Wife' a few years back I thought the title was more of a metaphor. So it's taken me a while to get used to the fact that it is about an actual time traveler. I'm having a little bit of trouble buying it 100%, but I still haven't finished it so we'll see how it ends up.

message 21: by Lisa (last edited Sep 22, 2009 09:23AM) (new)

Lisa | 617 comments For those who enjoyed 'The Time Traveler's Wife' Audrey Niffenegger has written another book, Her Fearful Symmetry.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/22/boo...

Not sure yet if I intend to read it. Haven't finished 'Time Traveler' yet and I'm still not sure what I think about it.

message 22: by Lisa (last edited Sep 23, 2009 07:27AM) (new)

Lisa | 617 comments Anyone else been disappointed with this book? I'm not finished with it yet, but so far I'm underwhelmed. Especially with Clare and Henry's character development once they finally meet in a corresponding time.

message 23: by Mary E. (new)

Mary E. (jujjy) I adored this story, 5 stars! I listened to the unabridged audiobook (apx. 18 hours, caught it on iTunes when it was on sale for $10), and the narrators were amazing. I would listen to it in my car to and from work (at roughly an hour a day, it took a couple of weeks), but toward the end I couldn't turn it off, so lay in bed one night listening for about three hours with headphones on, sobbing and with tears dripping into my ears LOL!

I'd seen it on bookstore shelves for a few years, but always put off picking it up. When the movie premiere was announced, that finally inspired me... if a movie is inspired by a book, I always insist on reading it first. The book is always better! And for this reason, I'm with the above posters who plan to not see the movie after all... I want to remember the characters and the story the way I imagine them!

But I'm torn on the idea of a sequel. On the one hand, I'd be curious to read about Alba's adventures (like perhaps more detailed visits between Henry/Alba, and Alba/Alba, and maybe more about the science of it all since it appears to be more understood in her future)! And I'd be interested in perhaps a fleshing-out of Clare's life "after Henry". But on the other hand, so many sequels just fall flat (I suppose because we go in with preconceived notions after enjoying the original story, and sometimes the follow-ups just don't live up to our personal fantasy of "what comes next"), and I enjoyed this story too much to risk the disappointment.

*sigh* But I'd still read a sequel, anyway. Hope springs eternal, Clare taught me that! ;)

message 24: by Lisa (last edited Sep 25, 2009 01:50PM) (new)

Lisa | 617 comments Just finished it. I thought it had some interesting ideas, especially on concepts of cause and effect and how the future is laid out, but I thought Henry and Clare lacked chemistry once they finally got together and their voices weren't all they different. If an author is going to switch back and forth between two voices they need to be distinct. I was much more interested and involved with little Clare and old Henry over the two people they were once they got together (at least until it got sexually weird in the teenage years). I also thought quite a bit of the sex was gratuitous, not romance novel "heaving bosoms" and "throbbing members" ridiculousness, I actually believed this sex, just after awhile I got it, they had sex a lot, good sex, but it stopped adding anything to the story and just needlessly killed trees. I also didn't care for the whole Gomez thing. Not necessarily because she had sex with someone else, or even that he was a bit creepy, but because Charisse was supposed to be her friend, but that didn't seem to bother Clare in the least. Plus, I didn't understand at all how he held down a normal job all those years, especially since it wasn't like he was particularly specialized since Matt could cover for him at the drop of a hat. I think the story would have been more interesting if he had to make a living off what he knew about the future.

I most likely won't see the movie because I wasn't overly impressed with the story or particularly attached to the characters.

I will say despite all that I was still a little sad when Henry died. Overall though underwhelmed with the story. Glad I borrowed it and didn't spend the money on it.

message 25: by Kate. (last edited Sep 30, 2009 08:02PM) (new)

Kate. Lisa Anne wrote: "Just finished it. I thought it had some interesting ideas, especially on concepts of cause and effect and how the future is laid out, but I thought Henry and Clare lacked chemistry once they final..."

Very glad to know that it wasnt just me that didnt gush over this book. Yes , i liked it and I gave it 4 stars only because i could give it 3.5
I couldnt connect with the characters. They seemed two dimensional to me. Something bothers me about this book but i cant put my finger on it...Any thoughts ????

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa-Anne... i like your review...accurate in all spheres.. I was very disappointed.

message 27: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) That's what Jo and I were getting at earlier in the thread. I'm thinking since in her future there are more of them and people are more aware of what they can do, that maybe they have some way of making it LESS difficult to find clothes to wear.

message 28: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) I'm not one to reread books so if I were to go back to this one it will be on audio format or something. But it's still a good book I thought. Likely won't watch the movie till it comes out on dvd tho.

message 29: by Lostinfiction (new)

Lostinfiction | 5 comments I haven't seen the movie but the book has really piqued my interest. I read a blog review about it the other day and it's kind of convinced me to have a look at the movie. (you can read the review here ) I had previously put it down to a sort of chick flick-y thing, but I'm hearing way better things about it since...

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments Kate wrote: "Lisa Anne wrote: "Just finished it. I thought it had some interesting ideas, especially on concepts of cause and effect and how the future is laid out, but I thought Henry and Clare lacked chemist..."

I think what bothered me is I didn't quite "buy" any of it. I didn't quite believe how much Henry and Clare claimed to love each other and she didn't quite convince me on the time travel either. I feel like I would have believed it more if she didn't try to give it a science-esque explanation, it wasn't convincing (and I have read other books that are supposed to take place in reality, but have one fantastical element and accepted them just fine). I also didn't quite buy the daughter, as weird as that sounds, she seemed rushed and even more underdeveloped than Henry and Clare.