Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

Sookie Stackhouse Books > All Together Dead

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (oncethrown) | 8 comments I just read this one today and was looking to discuss because I just got Roomate K to read the first one today and Roomate A won't read them because she doesn't want to get spoiled for the show.

I really loved the way that Hurricane Katrina got worked into the series, it's cool that a series about combining the fantastic with the ordinary found a way to make a real event a blow to imaginary politics.

I became an Eric fangirl when he showed up in Lycra at the end of "Living Dead In Dallas" so I was already interested in what was going on with him and Sookie before the blood exchange thing and now I'm crazy excited to see where the post blood-bonding deal brings them. I like how annoyed with his own humanity Post-Amnesia Eric seems.

I hate Bill. I liked him in the first book, I was a little bored with him in the second, but between the combination of the Lorena thing and the fact that he was sent by the Queen, I hope Sookie never forgives him. (A little bit... a biggish little bit of me... wants Eric to stake him actually)

I really like Barry, especially because he took such a different tack from Sookie with his telepathy and because he provides a more credible"horrified innocent" judgement of Sookie than the people who don't know anything about her world.

I can't make myself like Quinn. I don't know why. Possibly because I keep picturing him as a genie.

message 2: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) "Possibly because I keep picturing him as a genie."

::spits tea::

HA!

message 3: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) I like Quinn the Tiger. He staked Andre,te he. I can't wait for the vampires to kick some FOTS ass!

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky | 93 comments ikr...what the hell was up with the genie pants. i didnt get that either.

message 5: by Shanel (new)

Shanel | 10 comments Hannah wrote: "I can't make myself like Quinn. I don't know why. Possibly because I keep picturing him as a genie.
"

LMAO OMG I feel the same way! I keep imgaining he looks like the Great Kahli from WWE Wrestling. LMAO

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Sep 29, 2009 02:56PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) a DJINN? Come on, how can you think that? All I saw from the description of him was Vin Diesel. And sorry, but picturing Vin as a djinn--just is NOT happening. (Well, unless he's a djinn of sexual desires) :o)

message 7: by Missy (new)

Missy (soogie) | 1 comments I have to admit that I too am having a very hard time picturing Quinn. I had Mr. Clean stuck in my head until the genie outfit,then it got worse. I don't like how he pops in and out of the picture so much. I agree that Bill can leave now. He is irritating me more and more. Eric is growing on me. I loved him when he had amnesia, was sad when he was back to his normal self but I think in this book he is becoming a nice blend of the two. I didn't care for this book of the series except for the interactions between Eric, Quinn and Sookie. The trial was lame. I was screaming for Sookie to make the connection with that stupid suitcase that she brought up from the moment she went to get it. How can she figure out things so quickly but something as obvious as a piece of luggage that doesn't belong to you (hello 9-11) slide by? Oh well off to read the next one.

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) I didn't like Quinn either. Mostly it was his 'gee golly gosh' approach to sex. Ick. And he definitely has a Mr. Clean image.

I started liking Eric from the lycra on, and when he lost his memory I figure he's got that in him somewhere and will find it again. And in this book when he interceded with Andre I thought it showed that he cares for Sookie for more than her telepathic powers. And I loved when they danced together and he told her she's beautiful!

But there was lots in the book that didn't interest me as much.

Oh, and Bill? He always irritated me, maybe because my first intro to him was from True Blood and I can't stand the guy who plays him, so when I read the books I always pictured him. I agree, Missy, he can leave now.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) I like Quinn because I pictured him as Vin Diesel. Eric was more tolerable when he lost his memory. I almost felt sorry for him.

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) Jayme wrote: "I like Quinn because I pictured him as Vin Diesel. Eric was more tolerable when he lost his memory. I almost felt sorry for him."

Sorry. Who's Vin Diesel?

message 11: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) ::gasp::

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) Michelle M. wrote: "::gasp::"

Okay okay I googled him. Now I know who he is.

message 13: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) Ok, everyone--do we vote Sandra off the island? (just kidding)

Ok, Vin isn't exactly a "classically handsome" guy, but man, he is HOT. And I'm not usually a fan of body builders. He kind of reminds me of Richard Boone ( http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0095524/ ) another actor who wasn't conventionally attractive either, but boy, could he ACT.

Both tend to be more anti-hero than hero in all their roles. Both also make excellent villians. Plus (and this is, in my opinion, the most important) both have voices that just ooozzeeeeee sex appeal. I'm very much a "voice" person. Anyone else remember Barry White, the singer? Man, he really DID have a sexy voice.

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) No fair! I looked him up. He is hot.

message 15: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) lol, that's why I said "just kidding" about kicking you off the island. You DID redeem yourself. :o)

message 16: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) He IS hot. And he IS who Harris used as a template for Quinn. And that voice. THAT voice rumbling and calling me "babe" is perfectly acceptable in a toe-curling way.

I can't tell you how often I've watched the Riddick movies to admire his predatory beauty.

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) Did anyone else crack up when Sookie was speculating about what Hollywood actors might be were animals and she said she bet Russell Crowe was? I laughed out loud. Different book, though. It was the one where the weres announced their existence. I can't seem to call up the titles on demand. Anyway, wasn't it #9?

message 18: by Sandra (last edited Dec 29, 2009 04:30PM) (new)

Sandra  (sleo) And I've never watched the Riddick movies. They only get two stars on Netflix. Are they really worth watching?

message 19: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) They are interesting in theory, but pretty B-level. I only watch them for him. There are some nice visuals in the second, particularly Thandie Newton's costumes.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) Sandra wrote: "Jayme wrote: "I like Quinn because I pictured him as Vin Diesel. Eric was more tolerable when he lost his memory. I almost felt sorry for him."

Sorry. Who's Vin Diesel?"

Vin Diesel is an actor with nice abs and arms and he is bald by preference. He was in the movie Triple X.

message 21: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Dec 30, 2009 08:43AM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) Well, as a B movie fan, I LOVED the Riddick movies. Ok, listening to that rumbling voice might have something to do with it. :o)

Sandra--if you watch Chronicles of Riddick, make sure you get the extended version, not the theatrical release one. There is also a half hour or so cartoon Riddick dvd out there, which covers what happens after they get off the planet (Pitch Black) and before Chronicles. Supposedly there is also some more content on the game, but never having played it, I don't know about that.

Oh--and don't turn your bass up when listening to Vin talk--it'll cause all kinds of rumbles. lol, I just have a thing for those deep, deep, DEEP voices.

message 22: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Oh, Ann, I didn't know there was an in-between story told. I'll have to find that!

I'm actually downplaying my fondness for them. I just get irked when I think of the bad acting from the girl in the first one. When oh when is he going to make the third?

message 23: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) Sigh, no idea--but I too wish he'd just DO it. I really do want to see what happens when he takes the Necro's to Underverse. Will Jack be there? And WHICH Jack? Or will it be yet another Jack. lol, Maybe I should go re-watch it while hubby and grandson #1 are watching Tom Cruise in War of the Worlds

message 24: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Tom Cruise. Grrr. I just don't like that man...

I just re-read Missy's post above and the suitcase thing has always irked me. It was just too, too obvious. Especially once the spare coffins started showing up!

As for Quinn and his pants, I changed them in my head to be more sensei than genie.

message 25: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) ITA the suitcase thing! It was very frustrating. Quinn? Engh. 'Nuff said. Although he was the best of all the were animals, except maybe Sam. But Sam is a good buddy kinda guy, not a sooper hero, LOL. As disgusting as the vampire politics are, the werewolf politics were just disgusting to me. And Alcide is just plain dumb, with his obsession with Debbie Pelt, the beotch from he!!. And at least the vampires give women equal opportunities to be villains ;).

And Tom Cruise? Yeeps.

message 26: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Oh, don't get me started on Alcide. He was so promising when he first showed up. And his sister was so nice. Then it all went downhill.

Having based Quinn mentally on Vin, I always found him attractive. But his mamma drama? And his behaviour during that two second meeting in DaG? But that's talking about the wrong book...

In All Together Dead I still liked him. I especially liked that he'd planned to take a month off from work just to spend with her, acknowledging that he hadn't yet put the necessary time in. That and the date he'd taken her on showed real promise.

In re-reading bits last night, I was surprised she thought Catiliades cold for giving her whatever money they had and telling her if she didn't make the plane the rest was up to her. I mean, his niece was missing, his employers and friends were injured or deceased...I was surprised he considered her as much as he did.

message 27: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) Yeah--I too have never understood the appeal of Tom. The War of the Worlds thing tho is kind of a family obsession. We've all seen every version made, and even had the radio show. Plus of course, we've all read the book. Even have the TV show somewhere around the house, unfortunately, its on VHS tape. The boys are griping about wanting to see it too, so I'm probably going to have to start hunting for it on DVD before too long.

message 28: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) Michelle M. wrote: "Oh, don't get me started on Alcide. He was so promising when he first showed up. And his sister was so nice. Then it all went downhill.

Having based Quinn mentally on Vin, I always found him att..."

I liked Quinn ok in the beginning, too, but after DttW, my heart was set on Eric... just can't give up on him... always liked the bad boys, I guess. Except he's the kind of bad boy who just seems bad and isn't really. I missed that bit on Catiliades. That does seem a little unfeeling on Sookie's part.

And I cheered when Sookie broke up with Quinn after he wasn't up front with her about his family stuff and he never called her after the explosion. I mean, really! Did he really expect her to hang in after months of not hearing from him? Get a grip! And that scene in her backyard in DaG sealed the deal. But you're right... wrong book.

Back to ATG, I really liked the opening scene in the book where Pam is giving Sookie mental health advice when she goes to the meeting to plan the convention... that was a hoot! And when she explains that she and Eric have 'issues'. Very cute.

And Bill is just a loser... sorry. Just can't get excited about him. Never could. And Eric really did save Sookie from Andre in that scene with the blood exchange.

message 29: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Sandra, girl, I am Eric all the way. I loved him even before he lost his memory, when he really was just the bad boy. And I agree that he saved her ass. What good would him getting in Andre's face and possibly getting killed have done? She even says herself that it could have been much worse and there wasn't much space for improvement.

Pam and her Dear Abby obsession is DELIGHTFUL. She cracks me up. I love how she decides to crouch down next to Sookie during the meeting, whispering tidbits to her as they go along. Amusing.

Quinn...I agree with you 110%. I went from thinking he was perceptive with his offer to take off work, to thinking he was the most obtuse man ever born.

Bill...I don't like him for her. Never have really. But I do feel sorry for him. Talk about a rock and a hard place. He's made some very foolish decisions along the way, being torn between loyalties. The primary one being not to tell Sookie about his original mission once he realized his feelings for her. But I still felt a heap of pity for the vamp when she found him in the remains of the building and he whispered that he knew she'd find him. I alternate between wanting to beat him to a pulp and feeling very sorry for him--much like Sookie feels!

message 30: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) Michelle M. wrote: "Sandra, girl, I am Eric all the way. I loved him even before he lost his memory, when he really was just the bad boy. And I agree that he saved her ass. What good would him getting in Andre's face ..."

ROFLOL to what you said about Bill. Seems we are of one mind.

message 31: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) :)

message 32: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. Missy wrote: "I have to admit that I too am having a very hard time picturing Quinn. I had Mr. Clean stuck in my head until the genie outfit,then it got worse. I don't like how he pops in and out of the pictur..."

Missy, I imagined Quinn as Mr. Clean too but with a long tongue (LOL). Remember when they first met and he licked the blood off her leg. Except for that one scene, I've not really been crazy about him.

message 33: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) Ok, as a serious tiger fanatic, I have to admit, I DO love Quinn--but mostly I think because he's a were-tiger.

message 34: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) I did not think the licking scene was at all sexy. It made me laugh as one of my little dogs always licks my toes thoroughly whenever I am barefooted and another one licks my thigh when I sit down to go to the bathroom! Very unsexy, although kind of cute when my dogs do it.

I like the idea of a tiger, but don't find Quinn the least bit sexy, although I could imagine him as Yul Brynner in The King and I. Showing my age here! Ha.

message 35: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Oh, Yul Brenner is another worthy image!

message 36: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) Yeah, but then there's the 'Babe' thing, LOL.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) Speaking of the dog thing, did you know when your dog licks you, he or she is showing respect to you. The more licks and kisses you get the more Alpha dog you are.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) Oh and Happy New Year

message 39: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) No, I did not know that about dogs licking. I'm glad to know it, as the other dog thinks she is the Alpha dog and she's not the one who licks me, LOL.

And Happy New Year to you, too!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) I get licks and kisses from my niece and nephew puppies. :)