Santa Barbara Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Candidate Books > Library Book Bags

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sleepgoblin) I've been looking through people's to-read lists, and these are three books that are on more than one person's list.
- Lavinia by Ursula K Le Guin
- Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
- Pretty Monsters by Kelly Link

So I thought I would throw those out there as starting points for us to decide what we're reading next. Feel free to suggest other things if you're not interested in these.

message 2: by Holly (new)

Holly (hazeleyesca) | 38 comments Any of those would be fine with me, although I think Lavinia would offer more in the way of discussion material.

-Holly

message 3: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (wsquared) I'd be up for reading any of those, but Pretty Monsters is a short story collection, so probably not the best for discussion. Lavinia looks interesting, so we could go with that.

message 4: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (wsquared) I also came across the Santa Barbara Public Library book club in a bag program: http://www.sbplibrary.org/readers/boo...

They have 10 copies of each book that you can check out for 6 weeks. Looks like a lot of good titles, and they even have The Road if we want to get that for October.

Fiction

Stoner, by John Williams
Birth of Venus, by Sarah Dunant
Bel Canto, by Ann Patchett
Housekeeping, by Marilynne Robinson
Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson
The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards
Out Stealing Horses, by Per Petterson
The Road, by Cormac McCarthy
The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini
Away, by Amy Bloom
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, by Lisa See
Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides
The Time Traveler’s Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger
Beloved, by Toni Morrison
Water For Elephants, by Sara Gruen
Divisadero, by Michael Ondaatje
Suite Française, by Irene Nemirovsky
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, by Mark Haddon
Inheritance of Loss, by Kiran Desai

Non-fiction

Ethics for the New Millennium, by His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Three Cups of Tea, by Greg Mortenson
River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey, by Candice Millard
The Glass Castle, by Jeannette Walls
Eat, Pray, Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert,
True Notebooks, by Mark Salzman
The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, by Bill Bryson
The Omnivore’s Dilemma, by Michael Pollan
Mountains Beyond Mountains, by Tracy Kidder

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sleepgoblin) I had no idea they did that. That's awesome! There are quite a few books on that list I haven't read yet, but Snow Flower and the Secret Fan is the only one I currently know I want to read. Though I'm happy to read most anything.

message 6: by Holly (new)

Holly (hazeleyesca) | 38 comments That sounds like a great idea! How about we go ahead and read Lavinia this month, and chose our October book?

That way (if we chose one from the list above), whoever would like to volunteer to pick up the books can bring them to our September meeting.

I'd like to read any of these:
The Road, by Cormac McCarthy
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, by Mark Haddon
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, by Lisa See

-Holly

message 7: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (tabitha_carnes) I'd be interested in The Curious Incident..., too! I've never done this whole book-club thing before, but I'll give Lavinia a try!

message 8: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (wsquared) Lavinia sounds good to me for this month, though maybe early next month would be better because my hold won't be coming in to the library until later this week.

I'd prefer to read The Road or Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. I've already read Curious Incident, but if everyone else wants to read it, I would read it again.

And the movies for both The Road and Lovely Bones got moved back about a month, to November and early January respectively.

message 9: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (wsquared) Anyone want to set a date/time for our next meeting? The only weekend day I have free coming up is Sunday the 25th. Otherwise I can meet any weekday evening except Mondays.

message 10: by Holly (new)

Holly (hazeleyesca) | 38 comments Sunday the 25th would work for me.

Sounds like most people are interested in reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. Does everyone want that to be our next book? If so, I can find out if the library has that book bag available.

-Holly

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sleepgoblin) Sunday is fine with me as long as it's in the afternoon/evening. I have a friend visiting from Floriday that weekend, but she's supposed to leave around that afternoon. I'll need the book too, so let me know if you get the book bag!

message 12: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (wsquared) Should we say Sunday, Oct. 25 at 4pm? I think Borders or Starbucks would work well again.

message 13: by Holly (new)

Holly (hazeleyesca) | 38 comments 4pm sounds good to me. I can call Borders and ask them to reserve a table if I know how many of us will be going. Might have to also call that morning to give them a reminder so we don't have the same problem we did last time.

I called the library and the book bag for Snow Flower is checked out. However, they are 11 copies available at various libraries.

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sleepgoblin) So sorry you guys! My house guests just left (4:40pm). :(

message 15: by Holly (new)

Holly (hazeleyesca) | 38 comments No problem. Sorry we missed you.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.