Historical Fictionistas discussion

Ancient History (Old Threads) > September Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3683 comments Mod
Please submit your nominations for the HF book you'd like to read together as our next group read. We'll take nominations until the 5th, and then vote until the 10th.

ONE nomination per person, anything historical fiction goes. Please include author and title, and a brief blurb on what the book is about/why you're nominating it.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Man - so many books to choose from. I think I will nominate The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye.

From its beginning in the foothills of the towering Himalayas, M.M. Kaye's masterwork is a vast, rich and vibrant tapestry of love and war that ranks with the greatest panoramic sagas of modern fiction.

I have wanted to read this book for quite a while now.

message 3: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I'm going to nominate Sepulchre by Kate Mosse.

I listened to Labyrinth on audio, and once I got past the reader, I really enjoyed the story, and I anticipate this one being just as good, if not better, as Mosse will probably only improve with each book.

I love this kind of HF, where modern day meets history head on and history's deepest darkest secrets are revealed... (Cue ominous music)

I would really love to read and discuss this one!

message 4: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Well... YOU can't put the book down... ;)

I was thinking about nominating that one, really, but then I worried that it just might be too long. But I'd be willing to go for 2 months if people want to read it. I DO want to read it and am just waiting for a few less commitments.

...should probably stop committing myself to everything then, huh? =\

message 5: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I can't not imagine the pusher Heaven I would be in should this (Shogun) book actually be a GROUP read!!!!! So many people would be reading it at once.

message 6: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments I'd love to read Shogun as well but one month seems very daunting to me. I like the 2 month idea.

message 7: by Becky, Moddess (new)

If it's chosen, well... I guess commitments be damned! LOL

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments *runs away...FAR away*

message 9: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Technically she only has a little to go, so if she starts where she shamelessly abandoned stopped, she would be finished in a day or so.:P

message 10: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Well Fiona, I'm just thinking that as a group, we should have more time. I read the unabridged COMC in 9 days, so I'm sure that I could finish Shogun within a month, even with me being busier than usual now. But not everyone would be able to, so if we do a book that length, we would have to give it more time.

And poor Al, she's going to go crazy... Reminds me of that episode of the Simpsons where Moe steals Homer's coctail recipe and gets all famous, and Homer loses his grip on reality and sees Moe everywhere...

"Moe... Moe... Moe... Moe..."

Only, Allison's is going to be:

"Shogun... Shogun... Shogun... Shogun..."

message 11: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Ha ha. Simpsons references are always appreciated on my part.

JG (Introverted Reader) All of these sound so good already! A lot of them are already on my tbr, or the author is on my tbr, or I thought they were on my tbr. (It's hard to keep track sometimes.)

I'll nominate Mary, Called Magdalene by Margaret George. I've borrowed it and I really enjoyed Helen of Troy by this author. I'm pretty sure I've seen some talk about her around here somewhere.

message 13: by Jon (new)

Jon | 342 comments im going to go for Thorn Birds again

message 14: by Donna (new)

Donna | 49 comments I'll nominate City of Thieves by David Benioff. I've heard very good things about this book set during the seige of Leningrad.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments Becky wrote: "Well Fiona, I'm just thinking that as a group, we should have more time. I read the unabridged COMC in 9 days, so I'm sure that I could finish Shogun within a month, even with me being busier than ..."

I already had a ritual sacrifice and burned my copy up.

LOL...just kidding. I promise I do think the book is awesome, and I should have finished it. But...I can't explain my mental block. Its just there. *runs from Fiona*

message 16: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 517 comments Oh my I would love to read shogun but if it wins could it be a two month read LOL

message 17: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Yep Renee, I've already mentioned that would be the case if Shogun wins. :D

message 18: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 248 comments I want to nominate Mistress Shakespeare by Karen Harper.

message 19: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Right under the wire! :) OK, I'm closing the nominations, and throwing up a poll. :)

message 20: by Becky, Moddess (new)

*whispers* me too.

message 21: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments I voted for Shogun too!

JG (Introverted Reader) So, is The Heretic's Daughter our group read?

message 23: by Becky, Moddess (new)

JG wrote: "So, is The Heretic's Daughter our group read?"

It looks that way! We'll start on Tuesday the 15th, so if you're participating, get your book soon! :D

message 24: by Dorie (last edited Sep 13, 2009 08:11AM) (new)

Dorie (dorieann) Yay! I'll be ready to read that one. It's already waiting on my bookshelf.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Cool, I ordered it from the library just in case, and it says it is intransit, which means I should have it by Tuesday at the latest.

message 26: by Meredith (last edited Sep 13, 2009 12:11PM) (new)

Meredith (meredithgayle) | 7 comments Well, I put a hold request for Heretic's Daughter at the lirary, so hopefully I can get it in a few days.

JG (Introverted Reader) I've requested it at my library also.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments I've had it FOREVER...and finally have an excuse to read it :D

message 29: by Felina (last edited Sep 14, 2009 01:11PM) (new)

Felina | 500 comments How old is this book? My library system doesn't have it...neither does PBS and Amazon is selling it as a pre-order. Weird. I guess a stop at Barnes and Noble is in order.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments *cough* I guess FOREVER is perhaps a bit dramatic :P I do think I got my copy pretty soon after it came out

message 31: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Our library doesn't have it. Oh well, I have way too many books from the library already anyway. I'll add it on my TBR list nevertheless :)

JG (Introverted Reader) I got The Heretic's Daughter in from the library. But first I have to read Catching Fire.

message 33: by Jon (new)

Jon | 342 comments ive just managed to get a reserved copy of Heretics from the library too! pick up tomorrow