Axis Mundi X discussion

Online Friends

Comments Showing 1-50 of 134 (134 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Clackamas (new)

Clackamas This might not be the place for it, but you all seem pretty savvy so I'm hoping someone will explain it to me anyway.

What gives with the whole friends thing on Goodreads? I've requested a few people to be my friends but it's generally because I keep seeing them over and over as I'm reading reviews. If I like their review style, I want to be informed when they write them so that I can check it out. Also, if I see that someone has tons of books in common with me, I might want to make sure I have access to their list without having to remember who they are. I always send a note when I make a request explaining why I'd like them to add me.

Is that not a normal way of doing it? At first, I was excited about requests because I thought I'd learn about more books that interest me. Now I'm just annoyed.

Why on earth would people with no books in common with me and no apparent interests in common send friend requests? Does everyone deal with this? Do you just ignore them all?

message 2: by Tim (new)

Tim That is the best way of doing it. I feel the same way now.

I have noticed quite a lot of invites from "writers" or someone who wants to get something out of having contacts. That gets no respect from me, and a click of the ignore button. People like that won't actually miss us if we delete them, impo, so i wouldn't feel bad about dropping them. I now only accept invites which have a message or from someone who has been interacting with me in one of the groups.

I think the whole friends thing here is slightly inadequate or perhaps outgrown its initial concept. I suggested on the feedback forum an additional option - to be able to basically "track" someones updates without having to befriend them. At times i really appreciate someones writing style or insight but i wouldn't class them as a "friend" and i also wouldn't want to presume that they would want to have to "befriend" me either.

message 3: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Clackamas, it seems that some people are only interested in how many "friends" they have, like the number means something. It has nothing to do with literature. I suggest reading what Anthony had to say about it:

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/1...

I compare books when I get a request, and if we have enough in common I will give them a shot. But, if that is the last I hear from them, or if all they review are children's cardboard books...I delete them. I have a regular prune now and then. I keep the people I interact with and leave it at that. Donald is just so damn nice! (What was that you called Maurice earlier Donald?)

message 4: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Oh, and King...Thanks for not giving me "the axe"!

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) A couple of days ago I got a friend request from a guy, and there was a message attached that said STTEO "Let's be friends so we can see each other's books" but he only had 3 books. And my profile is public, so you can see my books without having to be my friend. So I deleted the request.

I get lots and lots of requests from men.

I get lots of requests from men in Indonesia and Iran.

I'm really only interested in being friends with people I've interacted with but occasionally I'll add someone who sends a request if their books are interesting enough.

I haven't gone through and deleted anyone yet. I feel kind of bad about that. Some people are folks who I've interacted with in the past but haven't for months. Others are "friends" of friends. I figure as long as they aren't bothering me I'll leave them on the list.

It will be really nice when/if Otis gets that top friends thing up and running so we can choose the friends whose updates we get.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

haha that's why i'm not getting many friend requests

it is a strange interaction this

i accepted a couple of "friends" early on that had some commonalities but i felt a little strange about (men) then i had a couple of requests that i refused (men)

so then i instituted the private profile and no men rule and emailed the 2 men friends i had and told them why i was deleting them
then i got two more requests (men) and i deleted them
then i changed my mind and emailed one and said can we still be friends (steve mort) the other one well...i don't know...his writing kinda scares me...you know who you are-good writing just scary

then i got two requests (women) 1 who is sweet but i don't read the same type of books but i like her, she helped my grandson with his state report by sending pics of same, and i could use a little sweetening and the other who is irreverant so i keep her, plus the two sisters i started with neither of whom are active on goodreads but their real time friends and now Sierra who called me a whore online the other night before requesting friendship but she's 13 and swimming with the sharks here and is a darn good writer-check her out

then i got another request from sierra's friend and have hesitated because 1 emo teenage girl is one thing but i'm not sure i want to be the goodreads emo denmother

and requests i've sent? Steve as mentioned above who hasn't read a single book i've read and vice versa-go figure, i've had a few that have rejected me but i can't even remember who they were but i was drawn by their writing

yah, i don't want a slew-actually can't imagine more than 20-30

The chance to interact in the groups is there w/o actually having to befriend

i pillaged char's books the other day but we haven't befriended one another

unfortuneatly the only way to see my books is to befriend me

except can't you get in through a friend of a friend

the private designation is a little iffy on what it protects and what it doesn't

yah

so

message 7: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
I was getting a lot of friend requests for a while but they seem to have slowed down... maybe because I haven't been writing as many reviews for the past few weeks. I have an unwritten policy that I won't add someone as a friend if they have more friends than books, unless they appear to be compatible with me for some other reason. I have deleted people who were on my friends list but never seemed to have interaction with. I tend to ignore people who obviously are just friending around to pimp their work... but there seem to be plenty of authors who are here to hang out as well as get their book out there, so that's cool.

I tend to be somewhat callous about on line interactions, unless I have developed a one on one relationship with someone. I've been on line for over 10 years as part of communities. I tend to let a lot of things roll off, mainly because I have noticed that 99% of people are lunatics. Here on Goodreads the percentages seem to be lower, thank heavens. I haven't really run across anyone who seems any more unhinged than I am. At least, not obviously. : ) I probably expect that other people will do the same.

Anybody with a stalker vibe gets aced. And I've deleted some friends because my attempts to communicate with them make it obvious that they really don't speak English. Other than that... If someone wants to follow my loony doings on GR, 'have at you' is my attitude.

message 8: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Maureen...I'm the irreverant one right??? :)

Yay...I'm "irreverant"! (I think, I'm not sure, must wait until denmother replies! - sit's patiently)

message 9: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 13, 2008 02:52PM) (new)

RandomAnthony I've only been on goodreads a few months but I'm trying to keep my friends list low after seeing what a huge friends list can do. I had a guy ask to be my friend, and I said, sure, whatever, then I saw that every day he was adding three or four friends. What's the point of that? Doesn't that fuck up your home page, trying to keep up with all those people? Anyway, anyone on the Axis Mundi list is cool with me...I don't want to sound elitist...the playground is big enough for all of us.

I eliminated a couple people right off the bat. I also get slightly bugged, honestly, by people who add sixty-eight books to their "to read" file every day. You're not really going to read all those books, people. Also, I only add books now on Saturdays so I don't inundate any of my friends with what bugs me. I try to only add a few a week. I've got time to build the book total.

I'm also hesitant to add people who have lots of conditions on their "who I will add, who I won't add" list. I'd rather not feel like I'm petitioning for the king/queen's favor, although I understand why some people, esp. women (I get what you're saying, Sarah) have to go that route.

That said, I've already found some cool books from the nine friends I have...esp. you, Donald.

Charissa says 99%, or slightly lower at goodreads, of people online are lunatics. She's talking about YOU, people. Not me. I'm the sane one. Wait a second...there are lot more reasonable people here than me...maybe I'm not the sane one...damn you, Charissa!

message 10: by Clackamas (new)

Clackamas I appreciate the responses. I had a bunch of requests that I was sitting on because I wasn't sure what to do with them. I just deleted them. On your suggestions, I won't feel bad about it either-- they don't have anything in common with me so are unlikely to even remember that they sent the request anyway.

Amy, thanks for the article recommendation.

Maureen, I don't like the private setting because I like looking through people's lists so much. If I like their writing or if they say something clever in a forum, I want to be able to compare lists. It'd be nice if that setting left your list available without giving any other info. I've tried to look at yours before.

BTW- If I ever make the request of anyone here, please be assured that it's because I like your writing or raid your list regularly. =o)

message 11: by Clackamas (last edited Mar 13, 2008 02:59PM) (new)

Clackamas Oh crud Randomanthony.
I didn't even think about how adding books to my to-read list could effect (or is it affect? I can never remember) my friends. I use it to keep track of the books that I want to check out so that if I'm at Amazon or Powell's online, I have a handy reference to know what I wanted to buy. I probably add a couple dozen a week. Then when I read a little more about it, I either delete it or buy it.

And dammit, I WILL read all of those books or die trying!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

irreverant is your middle name little one
(hah-i love your goofy ass picture)

my memory has such big gaping holes in it that i'm afraid if i don't add books i like i'll never remember them

i like to think i'm selective about what i choose to add and i also figure i can always delete them

and i also don't like that people can't see my books, i'm rather proud of them but i don't want someone to see everything about me, like all my comments and all my groups-that might be something for otis to change

if you want to swap friends alice-i am at 9 so think i can add to the queendom-

char i think you are waaaayyyyy overestimating our sanity level

i went to lunch with a nutty friend the other day after a particularly nutty goodfriends session and i think real time and online the gene pool has been thoroughly compromised and those who got some good genes to begin with have irreparably damaged them with wine, tang, and other space age substances

message 13: by Rindis (new)

Rindis This sort of thing has come up before.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show_g...
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show_g...

And I can't even find the original thread on the subject.

For some reason, some people seem to what to 'friend' the entire userbase of the site. I guess they think it means everyone's paying attention to them, even though they usually don't even participate on the site. This is actually more prevalent at other sites I've been on.

I have... (checks) 9 friends and two pending requests. Some of them asked me, some I asked. Generally, I only ask if I've been running into someone making a bunch of intelligent comments over the last couple days. I generally accept requests if it looks like they're participating in the site, and look to have a good deal in common with me. Or, if they send a note explaining why.

I don't get that many requests, but I've probably accepted as many as I've rejected.

message 14: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Hi, I'm Amelia Irreverant V.... :) (I love it)

Oh, you can call me "little one" for short...

message 15: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Yes, well you didn't accept me Rindis... does that mean that my comments were not intelligent enough? Cause, I'll tell you what mister, my denmom'll rip you a new one, I've seen her do it!

message 16: by Tim (new)

Tim Clackamas, Anthony is right about the multiple adding of books being a slight frustration at times. Clearly you arent meaning to do this, so dont feel bad ;)

What i do, on the occasions i am adding books to my wish-list, is just jump into my preferences and set the flag off for "add books to shelf" in update feed. Once im done, i can choose to turn it on again.

Sometimes if im adding a single book or two i would just "save" the book add after unticking the "add to update" option. That also will prevent it appearing in your feed.

Granted most people are unlikely to take the time or effort to do so, but it is a thoughtful gesture to make impo. I then reserve books going to my feed that i am currently reading or have just read with a review (unless i let one slip through by mistake heh).

shellyindallas I kinda like all the updates. I've been able to drop in on some really interesting book review discussions (like Tracy's on Obama's book) which I might not have found otherwise. Plus, a lot of times the books my "friends" read look interesting.

The only thing that troubles me (other than the creepy dude with like 1,000 female friends) is when little kids--or just kids (under 18) ask to be my friend. For a second it's like "Whoa! Awesome! I must seem young and hip", then I remember they're just trying to rack up numbers. And, I don't care really. No sweat off my back. But I don't want to "befriend" a teen (or preteen!). Makes me think of the Dateline predator shows. Eewww!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

see howard it wasn't all just in my head-shelly had the same thought

i really feel sorry for the 5 or 6 friends i had last week because i increased my books by 100 in one day

glad to know the turn off feed trick seek

some of us are less tech savvy than others

ok donald-the stalker vibe gets you deleted
i think it's the half in shadow/half not

message 19: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant The phenomenon of the Goodreads harem has been noted before. Someone should set a honeytrap. Start up as a new Goodread person and add a few random books in there but describe yourself as a 27 year old female and have a pretty pic of you. Then, on the same day, start up as another new Goodread person, add the SAME random books, describe yourself as a 41 year old male and include a jolly beardy picture. Then wait. I'll wager that after a couple of weeks the pretty 27 year old female will have 50 friend requests and the guy will have 2.
I'm sure we could then think of something funny to do with the 50 creepy guys.

message 20: by Clackamas (new)

Clackamas That is a fan-freaking-tastic idea.

message 21: by Rindis (last edited Mar 13, 2008 04:47PM) (new)

Rindis Yes, well you didn't accept me Rindis...

Actually, you're one of the two 'pending' requests. ^_^ So there.

I glanced at the two last night, and hadn't connected you with this group. -_-; But, as I said, I glanced at them....

APPROVED

message 22: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Donald... I'm not talking about the Stalker Vibe 9000, the new amazing vibrator from Ronco... just so we're clear.

50 creepy guys walked into a bar... oh wait, that's not the beginning of a joke, that's just a night out in Petaluma...

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

i came across a woman here that had a pic of herself (i think) in a little black dress
she is a prettier version of selma hayek
she actually had a decent number of books and spoke intelligently so i can't totally trash her
but...she had 1375 friends
i guess 1 in 1375 aren't bad odds
better than the lottery

message 24: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Paul, that's perfect. Somebody could write their dissertation on that.

I think you should invent multiple girls to further compare the phenomenon. Name one "candy" and have her blonde and all-american. Then name another "emily" and have her look sort of book-store intellectual cute. Who do you think would get more friends? I don't know if I'd automatically go with the blonde, not on goodreads, but I could be wrong.

Maybe we should throw in a good looking guy profile for good measure.

message 25: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant Oh man I already want to be friends with Emily the book store intellectual! Aw shit, I gave myself away. Again.
Maureen - if your pretty Selma Hayek woman was Iranian, we know all about that - the LA Times published an article in January calle "Unlikely forum for Iran's youth" which gave the scoop that this very Goodreads site is a hot place to be for Iran's disaffected youth to discuss politics and stuff. Check out the all time top profiles here

http://www.goodreads.com/user/top_pro...

and lots of them are Iranian. And if these are genuine pictures most of them are drop dead gorgeous too.

message 26: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Koe: elderly fetishists.

Donald: come on, you know you're just here trolling for chicks. ; )

I definitely had more friends requests when I had my pin up avatar posted. I wonder what would happen if I posted one that actually showed something. Heh.

message 27: by Xio (new)

Xio (xioj) | 40 comments nice shirt, there, KD

message 28: by Tim (new)

Tim *chuckles in appreciation*

The quality thing about this site is that it more or less ensures that those who join (because they have a genuine interest in reading) have what it takes to be able to interact in fascinating, challenging and amusing manners.

Of all the forums in all the websites in all of the internet, you should post in mine..

(ok its not mine but that i didn't want to spoil the quote ;)

message 29: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Bogie!

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Maybe I should change my photo, then? I dunno.

One guy, and I think I should mention he was white and not Asian, sent me a friend request with the following message:

"Dear Sarah, this is the reason: I was born in the year of the rabbit, it looks like you were born in the year of the sheep, unless your birthday for this year hasn't passed yet....it's a truth that water signs get along best with other water signs, same as fire, earth & air....if you give this even a minimal analysis in regard to the people or couples that you know you will see that it is true....... "

I responded saying that I was born in the year of the horse, that I think astrology is a load of crap, and that I'm married and not the least bit interested in being hit on on a site about books.

His response: "Dear Sarah, well don't hold back sarah tell me what you really feel....oh you did that...lol, sure we can talk about books, but I think you're mistaken if you don't think people join this site for romantic interests...the best relationships always start as friendships don't they? Having things in common with someone is one of the greatest facilitators for friendship isn't it? Agreeable or identical signs is having something in common in what goes to make up a personality which is far more important than what kind of music you like, or what you're political affiliations are, or how you feel about right to life, etc...I for my part couldn't date someone who didn't read books...even if we had identical natal charts!"

So, yeah, even if you send me a message telling me why you want to be my friend, you're not going to necessarily be approved.

I have a whole buncha books on my to-read list, usually it's because I've just gone through someone's books or a group list and added ones that looked good to me. But, in my defense, I do hope to read all of them, and I do have over 100 unread books on my shelf waiting for me to pick them up (check out my "to-read-own" list).

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Oh, and I just got a request from someone I was going to delete, but then I saw that one of her friends is King Dinosaur. I figured it she's special enough to get one of the coveted 100 spots, I'll take a chance. :)

shellyindallas Sarah-Un.be.lievable. What a weirdo!

I thought guys that hit on girls, got rejected, yet came back for more only existed on television shows.

message 33: by Clackamas (new)

Clackamas Sarah- I just checked out your list. Did you raid mine recently? I haven't come across anyone with that many that are on my list before.

message 34: by Sarah (last edited Mar 13, 2008 07:14PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) No, Clack, I haven't, but I will now. :)

Shelly, what can I say, I'm just that hot. OK, I can't even type that with a straight face!

I love how that guy said that your astrological signs (over which you have no control) are more important than how you feel about politics and abortion. Wha??

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Whoa, Clack, we do have a lot of the same books. But you're way thougher on the ratings than I am.

message 36: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Shelly... I have a whole litany of men in my history who have been shot down repeatedly and yet keep returning like a retarded pigeon. It's stunning really. But my best friend's husband like to say... well, you're still talking to them, right? Even if all you say to them is "I hate you, you're a creepy stalker, get away from me or I will set you on fire" all they hear is 'she's talking to me, I must have a chance'. LOL!!! Somehow I think he's right. The only thing to do is just ignore them finally.

message 37: by Clackamas (new)

Clackamas Charissa- I think you hit the nail on the head. Somehow even discouraging talk is still talk so it leads to hope.

Sarah- I am pretty tough on the ratings. If it had a 5-star rating, I've probably read it more than once. 4-stars means to me what 5 means to most other people. I don't have a lot of 1's though because if it was that bad, I probably don't remember it or didn't finish it.

message 38: by J (new)

J If I ask to befriend you be flattered. I've found your book shelves interesting and want to revisit them. That doesn't necessarily mean we have anything - including books - in common. I'm not inviting myself over for dinner. I just wanna check out your books and the friend list is the only sure way to find them again. I seldom turn anyone down for the same reason.

I am amused to see men with 500 girl friends (or girlfriends) that show a definite preference for blondes or brunettes. They can't be stalking all 500 of them so it just makes me giggle.

I try to remember to untick 'add to my update feed' now so I don't swamp people with my nonsense. I often enjoy reading other people's nonsense though.

message 39: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 14, 2008 03:12AM) (new)

RandomAnthony That astrological signs guy gave me the creeps. Seriously, every now and then I wonder if women are under a lot of pressure. A couple of questions, mostly about "real life" but also about goodreads, I guess.

1. When you're in public, do you know when guys are checking you out? Do you ever get sick of that? What if it stops? Would that be even worse?

2. When guys try to pick you, or did when you were available, what was that like? What was a good attempt to pick you up? What was a bad one?

3. What set(s) off your "creep/stalker" vibes?

4. Is it easier to talk on the net with guys, at a place like goodreads, because of the safety/nonphysical factor?

Ok, I'm not looking for tips here, mind you (ha), because I'm married, etc., and even if I wasn't I wouldn't be remotely interested in going the "pick up girls" route. I'll stay home with a book, thank you very much. I'm genuinely curious. I never "hit" on girls I didn't know, anyway. I wouldn't even know how to start. My wife and I met at work, and most of the girls I dated before then I knew through school, the neighborhood, etc. What fascinates me about some of the discourse from women in these areas, though, is that sometimes it feels like women must be constantly vigilant...you have to be ever aware of what a guy might want and what the subtext might be. Does that wear you down? How the hell do you trust people?

I guess guys can answer, too. In fact, I was notorious in college for having girls hit on me and my thinking we were just talking. My friends who were girls would say, after the girl in question left, "You idiot! Don't you see she likes you?" And I would be like..."really? I just thought she was really interested in the music the DJ is playing and wanted to talk to someone about it." Sometimes I think it's amazing I ever kissed a girl.

message 40: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant Okay, my friends, welcome to the Axis Mundi Experiment. Please meet and greet the two very latest people to join this excellent website

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/99...

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/99...

You must tell me if there's anything in these profiles which looks wrong. So as you recall the point of all this is to confirm our suspicions that the 27 yerar old female (she is rather pretty I think) will collect friends without lifting a finger, and the 40 something guy (quite a handsome fellow really) won't.

And now, let Goodreads do its stuff!

message 41: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Hats off to you, Paul. You did a bangup job of making her pretty but not too pretty. Your deceptive abilities are quite well-developed. Brilliant.

shellyindallas Paul- that's awesome!

Is Jonathon in prison?

Has Catherine really read '69' books?

Funny to see the difference in the books they've read. Is there really a gender divide in that arena too?

message 43: by Tim (new)

Tim Aha! Nice one Paul ;)I also like yer comments Shelly heh, a prison cell and her books read number was the first thing i thought of too

Maybe just make Cathie's pic a little bigger to be the same size as our Jonny's?

:s Im already shortening their names and wondering if they will ever meet.. *slaps face*

message 44: by Kelly (last edited Mar 14, 2008 06:45AM) (new)

Kelly Anthony, being that nearly all my male friends have fallen (or still are) in the "oblivious male" category, I hae some sympathy for your oblivious male past. Come to think of it, I've had to knock about half the boys I've dated upside the head before they got it (see.. and you wouldn't think that would be a turn on...).

So! I will respond on that topic for you!

1: I know when guys are checking me out after awhile. But this mostly stems from my self conscious younger self who always could somehow feel that people were staring at me because I thought I was weird and awkward, and of course people would stare at me 'cause I was probably doing something stupid.. Now the "knowing people are staring," thing has stayed, but it somehow is applied to this now. Yes, I get sick of it if its continuous or done creepily. If its just a quick smile and hello, or catching a guy looking at you before he looks away blushing or youv'e clearly caught him talking about you, then its fine and flattering and usually a little hilarious. If it goes beyond that, yes, I get sick of it. However, I would probably be a little miffed if I never distracted a man just by walking by again. But I will be happy for the day that construction workers stop whistling shit at me and guys in cars stop yelling at me. Seriously, why on earth would men think that that's flattering? That's creepy.

2: Mostly guys trying to pick me up is painful. I've had much better results when I've been talking to a guy and it becomes clear over the course of the conversation that we're both getting interested in each other, though it may have been only a mild, "oh, they're cute," or we ended up talking to each other out of a big group conversation at the beginning, not necessarily an intention to pick up anyone when it started. Come to think of it, since high school, that's pretty much how its gotten started with most guys I've dated. One or two we were friends first, but we definitely had many conversations while we were just friends that lead up to the interest, so its the same thing. Guys who approach me aggressively are usually assholes and the confidence isn't worth it. Guys with lines are painful. Guys who are like, "lookin' good tonight, baby," and try to compliment my looks before anything else will absolutely get nothing from me. I will look down my nose at them and find a way to flee as soon as possible.

3: Creep/stalker vibes... guys who follow you around at a party and won't leave you alone, despite the fact that you're talking to other people, guys who continue to call you when you've said no to hanging out twice already, guys who keep IMing you when you've shut them down several times already... so generally, unreasonable persistence. In the context of goodreads, I'd say guys who have only female friends, guys who are like, 'chat me up, I'm really nice'- which is code for 'so you'll totally want to get with me, and I'm probably not nice at all', and guys who continue to send you friend requests six times though you've send no to the previous five.

4: I would say talking on the net with guys can be fine because of the anonymity factor, as long as you're careful. I would genreally still be a bit wary of it, except on a place like goodreads, where literature is the focus and its not just a "social networking," site where the focus is clearly much more sexual. Though, see above, some guys have proved me wrong about that.

Also... Paul, I think that experiment is awesome! And I think you should definitely make the pretty girl have read some ridiculous books, too, so it's clear there's no other reason they could have friended her. If you still did Emily the bookstore intellectual, you should have her read better books, though not write any reviews! I bet she'd attract some different kinds of men.

message 45: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Hi Paul (and other Axis Mundi readers),

I have to say I'm a little surprised by your post. It strikes me as being somewhat asshole-ish to create two accounts, and then see who will flock (or not) to each - even as a "social experiment". What if you were one of the people that friended Catherine? Would you want everyone in this group to click on her link and see what a shallow person/friend whore/loser you are?

Just my two cents, but I think this is crossing the line.

message 46: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (ingenting) I think it's rather mean-spirited to do something like this to people.

message 47: by Tim (new)

Tim Hi Valerie, the point is that if someone does ask to be her friend, the only reason is because of her pic. That sort of friend invite attitude has no place in Goodreads and is in fact a nuisance which should be discouraged before the uniqueness and quality of Goodreads is irreparably altered.

message 48: by Valerie (new)

Valerie How does this discourage people? By making fun of them behind their backs? They'll never know or learn from your experiment. Get over yourself.

message 49: by Tim (last edited Mar 14, 2008 07:34AM) (new)

Tim ^^ Valerie, this being your 2nd post here, you already begin insulting me/us?

edit: meh.

message 50: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Ummm, you just claimed it would/should discourage people:

That sort of friend invite attitude has no place in Goodreads and is in fact a nuisance which should be discouraged...

But you're right. This is only my second (now third) post here. I've been around for a bit, trying to learn a little about the group and decide if I want to join... and this "experiment" pushed me to join. Maybe for the wrong reasons, I guess.

I thought you guys were all about discussing ideas and things that shape your (our) world. Not about doing this type of thing to people.

Am I wrong?

I'll be glad to go away if you're all up for this kind of thing, because then you'd be right - I wouldn't belong here.

« previous 1 3