Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Catching Fire - No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I just wanted to start a discussion for Catching Fire Catching Fire (Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins by Suzanne Collins. For those of you who haven't heard of this book, it's the sequal to The Hunger Games and you should really read that book before reading this discussion! And, btw, it's a fantastic book that's worth the read!

So I have just been couting down the days for this book to come out! There have been lots of great books released in the last few weeks, but honestly this is the one that I've been the most anxious for!

Since it comes out in a couple of days, I just thought that I'd start this discussion. 2 of the things that I am the most anxious for is to see how Gale is reacting to everything that happened during the games, and to see if Katniss and Petta will become close again.

In terms of the love triangle, who do you think Katniss should end up with? I am really torn between the two guys! I can't wait to see more of Gale and get to know him better. I really liked what I saw of him in the Hunger Games, but it just wasn't enough! I also keep thinking back to the last time that Katniss saw him and he said for her to remember that he...and then the door was shut and she never knew what he was trying to say to her.

As for Petta, I really is a sweet guy, but is he the kind of guy that Katniss would be happy with? But one of the things that I think she's going to realize is that the has stronger feeling for him than she thought. I mean, even though she was supposedly just acting most of the time, a lot of her reactions were real.

And how are they going to keep the charade up well enough to continue to fool the capital?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I think I'm going to reserve judgment on which of the guys I like more until I see more of Gale. Both guys have some pretty compelling qualities, but Katniss still has some growing and deciding to do. She's been raised to value survival, so all this learning love and friendship is something new for her. I want to see what she does as she learns. She's not a bad person, but I find myself wanting to shake her as I read!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been waiting for you to post this thread.

For the Paranormal Romance group, the September challenge is to read books off your friends' "Read" shelf. I put Catching Fire on my list to read from your "Read" shelf, because I knew it would be on there by oh... about September 2nd. LOL

message 4: by Kelley Anne (last edited Aug 30, 2009 10:01AM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments lol! VERY true! I actually already have plans for reading all day on Tuesday. My cousin has been in the hospital and just got out a few days ago but is on bed rest. And she's been waiting for this book too. So, I told her that in the morning I'd go pick up copies for both of us and then come over, keep her company, and we'd both read all day!

I even got work off! lol

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments That's great, Kelley Anne! I have my copy on a hold list at the library, but I may not be able to wait for it. My local WalMart carried Hunger Games, so maybe they'll get Catching Fire, too. I'm sure I'll be there that day. The only other bookstore is an hour away from me. :(

Does anyone think the series will have our heroes leading a charge to overthrow the Central government?

message 6: by Kelley Anne (last edited Aug 30, 2009 10:51AM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I think that they are going to have to! I believe that the Capital is so mad at them, and especially Katniss, that they are going to be looking for any excuse to hurt or kill her. And I think that by the end of the 2nd book, things will have come to a head and that'll be the only option, to try to overthrow the Capital. Then I think book 3 will be all about them doing just that.

Just my thoughts!

message 7: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I also think they are going to have to overthrow the government. Because from what I remember they were PISSED that Katniss challenged them!!

And all of that nonsense about being safe from now on, it's BS I think. The government is going to try to find a way to either discredit Katniss to make the people turn on her, or they are going to send someone to kill her.

AHH I'm so excited for this one. It's going to be really good.

message 8: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments hmmm...I'm debating calling a few Walmarts to see if they are getting this book, and if they'd be willing to sell me one right at midnight tonight!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

So Kelley Anne, can you pull yourself away long enough to tell us how it is so far? :D

BAMM finally shipped ine today. Grrrr. next time I'll just go to Walmart and get it. I saw it on the shelf and had to physically restrain myself from buying it. Grrrr. stupid Booksamillion. :(

message 10: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Wow, Wow, Wow! lol, can't stop reading to write more than that!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

You suck! I expect a full report when you finish.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I got mine a WalMart tonight, but I can't start reading it until I finish the Swallowing Darkness that I borrowed from the library! Must. Read. Fast.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm calling you guys bad names in my head. LOL

message 14: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Ahh...you know that you love us! I will say this, I read a few reviews that said that the entire first half was boring and that they didn't get into the book until almost 200 pages in. I don't agree at all!!! Also, the love triangle is still there! Is that enough of a tidbit? lol

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

*thinking more bad thoughts* lol

message 16: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments I also don't agree that the first 200 pages are boring. I had wondered how Collins would keep readers interested in a book that had a completely different focus than Katniss and Peeta staying alive during the game. All I will say is that she sure thought of an inventive way for the book to keep pace. I'm not done with the book yet, and I'm already a little distraught that it will take a whole year for the next installment.

message 17: by Kelley Anne (last edited Sep 02, 2009 04:10AM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments How long did it take you to get past page 173? I swear that I think I stared at that page for 5 minutes! Collins is brilliant!!! I never in a million years saw that twist coming. And as for having to wait for the next book. I might just go crazy! This wait will be even worse than the wait between the first 2!

BTW, Jan - it's now on my read shelf, so you are welcome to use the book in your romance readers challenge! lol :)

message 18: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments Kelley Anne
My brain exploded several times all over page 173. I'm still going - huh? what? - and I finished the book last night.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

So mad at you guys. My copy didn't come today. :(
Now am going to be tempted to turn to p. 173 as soon as I get the book! LOL

message 20: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Don't!!! You honestly wont read the first part if you do! Resist temptation!!!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

You are so hateful!! lol

message 22: by Sarah (last edited Sep 03, 2009 09:06AM) (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I just started today, and I'm already sucked back in. I'm on chapter 3, and just getting ready to go to lunch (so I can read more!).

Sorry Jan. :(

message 23: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I think that I'd be tempted to go spend the day at Barnes and Noble and read it there!

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments So as to not spoil things too much for Jan...

I just finished reading the part where Peeta and Katniss visit District 11. I wanted to cry and scream during that one part. Yeah, you know the one. Then I had to go back to work!

message 25: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments Kelley Anne wrote: "I think that I'd be tempted to go spend the day at Barnes and Noble and read it there!"

I do that frequently with books that I can't afford to buy right away, and there's a huge library wait.

message 26: by Sarah (last edited Sep 03, 2009 05:16PM) (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I just read in Entertainment Weekly that they're giving Catching Fire a "C" grade review! They called some plot points "baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness."

They make a comparison to Twilight, saying CF doesn't have the "creepily alluring" aspect that Twilight did. I wasn't aware it was supposed to! When did Panem become Forks, WA?

Color me incensed. I'm loving this story so far.

message 27: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments Well I loved Catching Fire and hate Twilight, so apparently not everyone can agree with the entertainment weekly reviewer.

Also I wonder how a dystopian book without a romantic focus can be fairly compared to a vampire romance?

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I do love Twilight, but the two books can't be compared. They're apples and oranges.

As much as I do like Twilight (and other vampire romances), this reviewer clearly needs to get off the Twilight bus and realize there are other fantastic vehicles out there to appreciate.

message 29: by Kelley Anne (last edited Sep 03, 2009 10:27PM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments lol, I just read the entire review. And I couldn't stop laughing at what a horid and inaccurate review it was! I mean, here's the first paragraph, describing The Hunger Games.

Last year, Suzanne Collins published The Hunger Games, the first in a projected young-adult trilogy about Katniss Everdeen, a heroic adolescent girl who crushed on a sexy hunter. In between romantic daydreams, Katniss shot strange beasts, dodged force fields, and battled murderous zombie werewolves — usually while wearing fabulous glitzy outfits.

lol! Did she read the book? Since when was Katniss "crushing" on a sexy hunter? She said that she had never thought about him that way! He was the one that already had a crush on her! And "romantic daydreams"? She barely let herself think about romance! She was more intent on getting out of the arena alive! And what force fields? Other than the one on the roof of the training center, I don't remember any force fields in Hunger Games! And "murderous zombie werewolves". Yes I know what she's talking about, but what an odd description. And she certainly wasn't doing ANY of those things while "wearing fabulous glitzy outfits." Did this person even read The Hunger Games?

And those are just the inaccurate things about the first book! As she continues on and starts talking about Catching Fire, I was just shocked that she even has a job as a reviewer! I mean, I don't always agree with reviews. Everyone's intitled to their own opinions. But come on! If you are getting paid to write a review, at least make sure that the facts in it are correct!

And since when can you compare a vampire romance with a dystopian adventure?

message 30: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments Kelly Anne - Your first sentence after that review was my first thought after reading that review.

Upon further thought, although one book may be vampire romance, and the other dystopian adventure, they can be compared because they are both Young Adult books. Especially since The Hunger Games was specifically marketed towards 'fans of twilight.' /sarcasm

Perhaps many letters to the editor of Entertainment Weekly would result in getting a book reviewer who actually reads the books?

message 31: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments lol, I really hope that someone over there reads all of the comments that people are leaving about the review, because I didn't see a single one that didn't mention how inaccurate the info was!

message 32: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments So, I really want to talk details about this book, but don't want to spoil it for those that haven't finished it yet! So, I'm going to change the name of this thread to no spoilers and start a discussion for those that are finished so that we can have spoilers!

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I just reached that much talked about page 173, and I was blown away! What?!? I hope to finish soon and join the spoiler thread.

message 34: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments lol, one of my friends that's reading it just texted me to ask what the page was again because she thought that she might have missed it. I laughed and told her that she would know it when she got there!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

UGH. mine still isn't here. I'm never ordering from BAMM again. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
I may go buy it at Walmart tomorrow and return the other one to BAMM when it gets here. Ugh.

message 36: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I have no idea how you've been so patient! Of course, if BAMM is cheaper, go buy it from Walmart and start reading it, keep the reciept and return it once your other copy get there! I know, I'm bad, what can I say!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh I didnt think about that. Maybe I will. LOL

message 38: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Jan, I'm waiting too to get my copy. You're not alone. But this tread is DRIVING ME CRAZY! How dare you guys tell me it's awesome when I cannot read it yet. That's TORTURE!!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I know right? Maybe we should boycott them Kasia. LOL

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

It FINALLY came!! I'm about to settle in for the night. See you guys on the other side :)

message 41: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments YEAH! Can't wait to hear what you think!

message 42: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Yeah I've got mine too, but I'm in the middle of 2 books right now, so Catching Fire would have to wait just a little bit more...

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I put aside the two books I was in the middle of. LOL