Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > JR Ward or Christine Feehan?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 179 comments I am just finishing up the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon and have really enjoyed them, the last few haven't been as good as the prior ones in the series, I think that's normal for a series this long. Anyway, I bought Dark Lover and I have the first three in Carpathian books by Christine Feehan. Which should I read first? I am thinking the JR Ward books since they seem to be uber popular with this group. Opinions please?
Thanks so much,
Tonya

message 2: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 146 comments I would suggest Ward, her writing and world I find to be so amazing.

I did pick up a Feehan book and started it but put it down, now it wasn't because it was crappy but I was too anxious to start a different series that it got the better of me.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Bradley (slavetopassion) Ward, definitely.

Feehan's writing leaves a great deal to be desired. Her books are standard love story fodder with vampires mixed in.

Ward, on the other hand, has a rich and vibrant writing style . She pulls you into an amazing world and makes you wish you could stay once the books are over.

message 4: by Gems (new)

Gems (zadien) | 134 comments JR Ward is by far the better writer but... if you have the Dark carpathians books and feel like you have to read them because you have to, read them first and then read JR Ward because Feehan pales in comparison to Ward big time and if you read her first, then Feehan you're going to feel cheated. If you read Feehan first, well you read an ok couple of books and then finish them off with a far superior book which makes you appreciate Ward more.

Hopefully that helps - FYI people say Dark Lover is a slow read and I did initially find it hard to get into after reading Nalini Singh for so long but half way into the book and it flies and you end up desperate for the others. (Oh and if you leave Ward til when you're finished the three Feehan books, it gives you time to pick up the other Ward books because you're going to want to do that once you've finished reading Dark Lover.)

message 5: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 179 comments Thanks ladies. Ok I have to admit I would rather read Ward first after reading this and since I bought the Feehan books at a used store I am not out too much. I bought the Feehan books because the store owner recommended them, and since I am rather new to the PNR genre I went for it. I will read Dark Lover first and then go hunt for the rest. I can always read the Feehan books when I run out of other things to read. Thanks again and I am so glad I joined this group!!!

message 6: by Gems (new)

Gems (zadien) | 134 comments Nalini Singh is a good author you might be interested in, no vampires though but really hot changelings and a great over all plot with intrigue and excellent characterisation and world building and dialogue, pretty neat dialogue, oh and sexual tension, always forget that one.

message 7: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Welcome to the group, Tonya! And hope you enjoy Ward! That's a good place to start. :D

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason Bradley (slavetopassion) Tonya wrote: "Thanks ladies. Ok I have to admit I would rather read Ward first after reading this and since I bought the Feehan books at a used store I am not out too much. I bought the Feehan books because the ..."

~blush~ and gentleman. ~grin~

message 9: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 179 comments So sorry Jason, how unobservant of me. I humbly apologize and will try to pay attention to who is responding in the future :). Thank you for being gentlemanly and letting me know.

I appreciate everyone's opinions and Gems...I will check out Nalini Singh, sounds intriguing.
Have a great week!

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I happen to love the Carpathian series. I like a sappy, mushy romance every once in a while and these are a bonus because there are vampires and evil plots thrown in the mix. Don't dismiss Feehan until you try, you never know!

message 11: by Pam (last edited Aug 31, 2009 09:25AM) (new)

Pam | 2 comments Uhmmmmmm, I've got to disagree with you Ladies just a little! I love the Dark series. I think Feehan is a very good writer. It's really more a matter of taste. I love the Dark series just as much as the BDB, though I do agree JR Ward is extremely talented. If I had to choose just one series I would have a hard time picking! The Dark series has a more romantic element to it that tends to focus on the main couple while the BDB is more filled with excitement and intrigue and has multiple stories going at the same time. So, depending on your mood, or personal tastes you may like one better than the other but they are both very excellent series :)

Note: as a matter of opinion I do prefer the earlier works of both writers. Perhaps writers do not want to continue a series too long without making drastic changes so the reader won't grow bored, but I'm not that reader and I like the world building and basic premise of the series to remain the same. That’s just me, and a matter of my personal preference

Either way you go I doubt you'll be disapointed :)

Happy Reading!

P.S. I too apologize Jason, and I'm very glad to see a gentleman here among us :)

message 12: by Jessa (new)

Jessa Slade (jessaslade) | 114 comments I like them both, and I read 'em much faster than they write 'em :)

I agree, though, it can be a matter of mood. I read Ward when I'm feeling nihilistic and Feehan when I'm being moody. Kinda like the difference between Tool and Evanescence.

message 13: by Sabrina (last edited Aug 31, 2009 02:35PM) (new)

Sabrina I read Feehan's Dark series before I became acquainted with the Ward's brothers. In many ways she was my entrance into paranormal romance. I thought the books were great at the time, but now that I've read quite a few other series, I have to say that I don't enjoy them nearly as much as I did in the beginning. There is something about Feehan's dialogue that bothers me. Despite the fact that many of the heroines are very much twenty-first century women, they all end up talking in the same old world way. Weird.

Anyway, I am a huge JR Ward fan and I don't think you will be disappointed in her series.

message 14: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ I agree that of the two J.R. Ward has the better series but Feehan's series is wonderful too though her books all seem to come from the same mold. Don't get me wrong, I love them and have every single one on my keeper shelf.

If you like angel books, Mortal Temptations is one of the better books I've read this year. Also A Mermaid's Kiss.

Welcome and happy reading!

message 15: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 179 comments Thanks everyone, you all are great!!!

message 16: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) J.R. Ward

Feehan is...a total hit or miss and The Warden is a beast :P

message 17: by Shell (new)

Shell Wright | 8 comments first Welcome to the group! and I too read both authors and love them both! I don't ever compare authors writings to much I just know what I like and read them both over and over again.. I do think that Feehan is a wonderful author so have to disagree there. JR Ward is a great author as well and I have kept all her books for a second adn third read as well :)

message 18: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 179 comments Thanks Shell, I am really glad to have found this group. Everyone has been really nice (have been on some message boards where they aren't). I will read Feehan after Ward.
I started Dark Lover today and it's not doing much for me as yet, but I am not far into it. Also, I have read that the first one is a bit hard to get into and that the others are better.
Thanks to everyone for making me feel welcome.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 737 comments Tonya, as with pretty much everyone else here, I'm a champion of Ward's. As with you, Dark Lover didn't immediately grab me, but I quickly warmed up to it and actually enjoyed it much more on consecutive readings. It is now my favorite PNR series.

I'm currently reading Feehan though, as I quite enjoy her Ghostwalker series. =)

message 20: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (melw) | 411 comments I found Feehan's Dark Prince hard to get into - but I do recall being in a fickle mood about what I wanted to read at the time so I will give it another go at some point. I do enjoy her Ghostwalker and Drake Sisters series however.

I've only read Ward's Dark Lover so far (and loved it!) although I have the second book on my TBR pile for this month.

message 21: by Shell (new)

Shell Wright | 8 comments The First book in any series is so full of information that you will need in later books its sometimes hard to grasp all the information and it kinda drags it down.. least to me :) and I loveeeee Feehan's Ghostwalker series too :)

message 22: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) | 253 comments So here's a question for ya'll then that I don't think was addressed... I have both series at home which do you think would be better to start with Ghostwalkers or Carpathian??

message 23: by Shell (new)

Shell Wright | 8 comments Well there are less Ghostwalker books then Carpathian ones... so I would start with those and then go to the others.. cause there are hmmmm over 20 of the carpathian books.. altho both are great in my opinion

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 737 comments I own the whole Ghostwalker series, and am currently working my way through them. I own the first four Carpathians, but haven't felt the need to carry on. It really all depends on what types of heroes you like. Ghostwalkers have very strong male and female leads, where as Carpathians are much more the alpha male and the woman he must convince to love him. LOL Possibly not the best description, but I would guess that the Ghostwalker series has more fans than the Carpathians, although both are very popular. Did that help at all?

message 25: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) | 253 comments Thanks Ladies, that does help! I think I'll start with Ghostwalkers and see what I think..... not sure when I'll start exactly tho ;) Have way too many books at home waiting to be read ;)

message 26: by Elyzia (new)

Elyzia | 12 comments I have to say Ward.... The BDB series is one of the hottest series I have read in a while.... loved it!!!!! Talk about intense and hot!!!!!!!!
I have read 3 of the books and waiting for the other 4 to be delivered!!!!
What I would do to be in that mansion! LOL

message 27: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 179 comments I finsihed Dark Lover yesterday and I really liked it. Once I got past the first part it really picked up and got me hooked. I am already half way through Lover Eternal and I stayed up way to late reading last night. Great books!!!

message 28: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 27 comments You'll love Ward...i have my own favorite brother.

message 29: by Julie Lim (new)

Julie Lim | 1 comments I like Sherrilyn Kenyon Dark series the best. Christine Feehan series is alot milder and more romance than action pack. JR Ward series has just about everything from action, blood, s&m, romance, erotica,etc so not many people might be into it. I finished all 3 of the authors books. Am gonna read JR ward's latest Lover Avenged. Can't wait for Sherrilyn Kenyon's next book.

message 30: by Shell (new)

Shell Wright | 8 comments I love them all! I read different authors when I am in different moods lol... I think they are all three outstanding authors.

message 31: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 179 comments I restarted the first book of one Christine Feehan's series called Dark Prince. I am having a hard time getting into it and am kind of bummed since I bought the first three. I am waiting for the other BDB from the library and it's driving me crazy waiting for them.

message 32: by Shell (new)

Shell Wright | 8 comments I hope they pick up for you because they are good books. This is why I don't compare the authors because I like them all just at different times. I hope that makes sense lol

message 33: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 179 comments Shell...it does make sense. I will keep trying as I know that it sometimes takes awhile to get into a book. Thanks.

message 34: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Espino (staceyespino) Ward! Her writing is unparalleled.

message 35: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 1020 comments Mod
I've read both authors, and I think they all have their own distinctive writing styles.

Ward uses words like she has a limited source and must only use the best that can express her ideas, while Feehan seems to have a more generous approach.

I'm a big BDB fan, so I would recommend reading that first. It's a great series, and highly addictive.

As for Feehan, I've read all her Dark/Carpathian books, except the latest one Dark Slayer. I have a love/hate relationship with this series. I will continue to read them, but I refuse to read them consecutively. Also if you are starting from the beginning, you must take into consideration that Dark Prince was written in 1999.

On the other hand, I love her Ghostwalker series. More modern in approach and have very sexy heroes.

message 36: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments I agree DBD is much better. Feehan's book is one that I will confuse with others and not remember that well. Something about Wards writing pulls you in and you feel like her characters are alive and you know them as friends. With Dark Prince I am having a hard time recalling certin aspects of the book and characters and I just read it last week.
That being said I have only read 1 book from Feehan's series and I am up to book 4 in the DBD. Maybe she will grow on me.
Do the same Characters make appearances in the Feehan series like Ward's?

message 37: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) J.R. Ward hands down.

Feehan...I can't stand..I don't know why..her writing just bugs me.

message 38: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Espino (staceyespino) Ward is so addictive. Her books have everything and are lot's of fun. Something about her writing, I could just read and read effortlessly. While Feehan was good, it is very heavy and descriptive. I needed something light after reading her book.

message 39: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments I agree with the heavy it was the way she described things I have read authuor's who are very descriptive and it just flows. Feehan feels dated and old fashion.

message 40: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments She's just too wordy. I think her Ghostwalker and Drake sisters books are supposed to be more concise.

message 41: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 179 comments I can definietely tell how different their writing styles are, I am on book 4 of the BDB series and I only read a couple of chapters of Feehan's first Carpathian book. I am seriously addicted to Ward and it was an instant addiction. Feehan I stopped reading as it just wasn't to my liking, having said that I will give her another chance, I don't give up easily...lol.

message 42: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments You might have better luck with her less supernatural series, Tonya, LOL.

message 43: by Michelle (last edited Sep 19, 2009 06:48PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore Is it necessary to read Christine Feehan's Carpathian series in order?

message 44: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Yes! Must be read in order! Each book introduces side characters that become main characters in future books and it will make each book that much better knowing all the back info. It's also great when some of the former main characters become future side characters and you get an update on what's going on with them. She also has a reunion book that brings every character together in one place at the same time and it was the best! I definitely recommend an in order read. If you can find the short stories in the anthologies, that is good to read them in between the right main books, but those aren't as important because she fills you in enough if the anthology characters show up in the regular books.

message 45: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Melissa wrote: "Yes! Must be read in order! Each book introduces side characters that become main characters in future books and it will make each book that much better knowing all the back info. It's also grea..."

Thanks Melissa. That's good to know. I see for the Carpathian series that there's about 20 books, right? I was reading on Emma Holly's website where she lists her fav. series, and saw that there may actually be another book out before Dark Prince, and I didn't want to start it if its truly not the first book in the series. For such a long running series, I don't want to miss a thing.

message 46: by Yz the Whyz (last edited Sep 20, 2009 08:28AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 1020 comments Mod
Michelle,

Yes, definitely read them in order. Feehan's website placed Dark Prince as the first book in the series, so I would start there.

Just a suggestion: Try to read other books in between while reading this series. If you read too many of them in sequence, you start picking up on similarities between the books that the characters start to blur...or that's how I felt when I was reading them. But if I paced them apart, then they stay fresh and more enjoyable reads. I don't know if that make sense to you...LOL!

message 47: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Yz wrote: "Michelle,

Yes, definitely read them in order. Feehan's website placed Dark Prince as the first book in the series, so I would start there.

Just a suggestion: Try to read other books in betw..."

Yz, that definitely makes sense to me. I've felt that way with other series. Characters and their stories do start to blur together after reading too many books in the same series back to back. I hope to be reading Dark Prince, as well as Dark Lover very soon.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I agree wholeheartedly with Yz. Take a little break between the books or you get to a point where you can almost know exactly what is going to happen next and who is going to say what...but do read in order.

message 49: by Sally (new)

Sally (larwos) | 258 comments My main problem with the earlier Feehan books is the alpha male beating his chest and insisting his mate must love him because he needs her. It irritates me that they take no notice of the needs of their mate as they 'protect' her.
That aside, I enjoy the books, particularly the ones with the Carpathian band members - exciting. Admit I loved the reunion book as well.
I've bought and listened to the mp3 versions of some of the Dark series and it's a good way to 'read' them, although one of the readers used irritates me with her pedantic delivery.

As to who I like best, Feehan or Ward, Ward definitely takes my vote. I've just finished Butch's story and immediately booked Lover Unbound at the library. Cant wait to get into it. I agree the characters feel part of my group of friends now.

message 50: by Ursamater (new)

Ursamater | 18 comments I find Feehan's other series to be a tad better than the Carpathian series. I've found IMHO that by and large the Carpathian series does seem to improve as she goes along. That said, I do still reread the Carpathians. I tend to do it over the winter when my SAD is particularly bad--they are comfort reads for me. There is something sustaining in their predictability.

I also generally prefer JR Ward to Christine Feehan. Ward's world is very complete and like the other commenter said, she sucks you in completely. You start liking characters that you never thought you would!

Be warned that even Ward's series changes, becomes a bit more urban fantasy-like in the later books. I like both genres so this didn't bother me, but on her board some readers found this difficult to deal with. I do feel that she retains the importance of the characters' relationships but your mileage may vary.

Don't get me wrong--Ward and Feehan (though I prefer the Drake Sisters and the Night Walkers and the last Jaguar book rocked!) are both among my current favorites. So is Emma Holly:) and Lora Leigh and Kresley Cole and ....

Anyway, first posting here. I hope I don't sound too stuffy....

« previous 1