Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn discussion

Favorite

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by R. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:47AM) (new)

R. | 10 comments What's your favorite Lovecraft book cover?

The austere Library of America Tales? The baroque heavy metal fantasias of the Del Rey trade paperbacks? Or some obscure foreign edition?

message 2: by Addie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Addie Cole | 3 comments Mod
I have such a weakness for the two lancer MMs at the bottom of this page, just because they are the first ones I'd ever picked up.
http://cthulhufiles.com/bb/bboxer.htm

I'm also into the covers that penguin modern classics rocked out.

message 3: by R. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:53AM) (new)

R. | 10 comments I've never seen these before! Thanks! The Dunwich Horror there almost looks like it could double for a Carlos Castaneda novel. If Castaneda had been, you know, unspeakably evil.

message 4: by Tiwaztyrsfist (new)

Tiwaztyrsfist | 2 comments A plain black cover, possibly with the title embossed in gold in Times-New Roman.

Somehow anything mythos related seems like it should be in a deceptively plain cover, and preferably look like it's very old.

message 5: by Ray (new)

Ray | 11 comments Mine is definitely the trade edition of 'Best of HPL Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre'. Genius work by Michael Whelan, who covered all the windows of his studio while painting it to set the mood. This huge piece of artwork is what they broke up in sections for the 80s paperbacks (like the skeleton in robes posted above by King Dinosaur).

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

i am partial to the first ones i read and was gifted by my uncle when i was 7 - the ballantine paperbacks from 1975. they each had a different "monster" face. i love them so much i am considering having them as tattoos

message 7: by Dave (new)

Dave (notadouche) | 3 comments Has Mignola done a Lovecraft cover? It seems like a no-brainer. Even if he hasn't, the imaginary Mignola cover is still my favorite.

message 9: by Dave (new)

Dave (notadouche) | 3 comments Ah, yes. I remember this from my art of hellboy book. I knew there was something. Of course, it is amazing.