twilight lovers! discussion

Books in the Twilight Series > Is it possible that Midnight Sun was leaked by a hater?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I know that this is yet another Midnight Sun topic. However, this has a new aspect. We have been focusing on the upcoming film version for New Moon lately, and the actual book discussions are dwindling. So I thought I'd give you another thing to ponder over.

I was scanning through the archives of twilightguy.com (a.k.a: Kaleb Nation's website) and an article caught my eye. This article (written back in 2008) is in defense of Stephenie Meyer and the Midnight Sun Leak. It was not unlike other articles. However it revealed some details:

"The leaked file contained direct photographic scans of a spiral-bound notebook with hand-numbered pages, posted online by a website of anti-Twilighters."

Is it possible that the leak originated from hater forum? It seems plausible. It's likely that the person that held the draft posted it in a forum. Forums are easy places to post whatever content you like, while also accessing numerous other people to comment and share said content. Also, the act of publicising a draft you know isn't intended for release is not an act of love. Anyone with half a brain could have guessed Stephenie didn't want it to go from her hands to a website, much less a hater forum. Which really makes me wonder if someone who hated twilight and/or Stephenie would post it.

What do you think? Do you still believe that one of Stephenie's close, misguided friends posted the draft; or someone hungry for money; or Stephenie herself leaked Midnight Sun? Or do you think maybe, just maybe, the reason behind the book's leaking and indefinite hold, are the haters doing?

message 2: by ♥Jenny♥ (new)

♥Jenny♥ *nods* Seems plausible.

message 3: by Emi B (new)

Emi B (emib) I think it was someone who was hungry for money and the fame thats come from the twilight saga.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

That's possible, but you don't get paid for posting in a forum. I'm not getting paid, typing this...or am I? :D

message 5: by ♥Jenny♥ (new)

♥Jenny♥ Melzz wrote: "That's possible, but you don't get paid for posting in a forum. I'm not getting paid, typing this...or am I? :D"

>.>
<.<

*stuffs money further down in pockets*

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

... well, if it WAS leaked by a hater, it wasnt me... XD

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 29, 2009 09:24PM) (new)

Nellie-la Crane wrote: "... well, if it WAS leaked by a hater, it wasnt me... XD"

Lol, I should hope not.

♥Jenny♥ wrote: "*stuffs money further down in pockets*"

This post brought to you by: I'm lovin' it!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

XD

message 9: by ♥Jenny♥ (new)

♥Jenny♥ Melzz wrote: "Nellie-la Crane wrote: "... well, if it WAS leaked by a hater, it wasnt me... XD"
Lol, I should hope not.

♥Jenny♥ wrote: "*stuffs money further down in pockets*"
This post brought to you by:..."

Haha, ok. Very random Melzz. XD

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

♥Jenny♥ wrote: "Haha, ok. Very random Melzz. XD"

Yeah, it was a bit random, but I was also making a point. The MS leaker wouldn't have made any money by posting it in a forum. So it couldn't have been just for money.

message 11: by ♥Jenny♥ (new)

♥Jenny♥ Hmmm, true.

message 12: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

Stephanie | 4175 comments Mod
Melzz wrote: "♥Jenny♥ wrote: "Haha, ok. Very random Melzz. XD"
Yeah, it was a bit random, but I was also making a point. The MS leaker wouldn't have made any money by posting it in a forum. So it couldn't have ..."

Unless the original person sold it to the hater who posted it to the forum...

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmmm.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

... or may be the hater just felt like being a hater... XD

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol, maybe.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

O.o

message 17: by Athena♥ (new)

Athena♥ (lips_of_an_angel) Personally I believe it was a hater. Not someone who hates the books because they aren't good reads, but because they are jealous. Has anyone considered this theory?

Think about it. Let's say your an author. You have, I dunno, eight published books out there. And yet, here you are pouring your heart and soul into your books and all of a sudden out of no where comes some un-famous author who writes a for-fun novel about a vampire romance and takes the literacy world by storm. Jealousy eating at you, you find yourself with the first chapters of a copy of Stephs newest book, Midnight Sun. You want some of that fame, you want so badly to be remembered by the world that you publish the draft online as your own.

Make sense? Of course, I could be way off, but it's a possibilty.

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 31, 2009 01:42PM) (new)

I believe it was a hater also because they probably knew if they leaked it on the internet before it was finished and knew stephenie meyer would'nt finish it because we experienced it before it was finished.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Sam wrote: "Make sense? Of course, I could be way off, but it's a possibilty."

It's possible, more likely than a fan stealing and leaking it.

Chelsea wrote: "knew stephenie meyer would'nt finish it"

They couldn't possibly have known that, they could have speculated, but there would be no way to be sure.

message 20: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

Maybe Stephenie gave a copy to someone that she trusted and it got misplaced or something...I mean Anna Kendrick accidentally threw away her New Moon script and someone found it...that person decided to give it back to summit and was rewarded with a trip to the movie premier...but not everyone is that honest.

message 21: by Simona-- (new)

Simona-- I'm kind of intense  (completelyinsane) DOUBT IT.
*AHEM*
But why would Steph give a copy to a hater? That just doesn't make sense.
I think it was a stupid person not looking into the future, and ruining it for the rest of the lovers.
Unless sMeyer is REALLY stupid, of course. Usually us haters are very... vocal about our opinions, so she doesn't have the "But I had not clue they hated it!" Excuse.

message 22: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

I doubt that she would just hand it over to just anyone. I mean we are talking about something that could have potentially made her a ton of money.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

She didn't hand it over. She wrote a few drafts of Midnight Sun in a notebook, with hand numbered pages. She'd been writing it along side with Twilight way back in 2003, before she had any idea she would be a famous author. Then she gave some of it to her friends. Haven't you ever shared your work? And it was posted on a hate forum. Those are facts.

She probably had no idea anyone would want to read it. There are tons of amatuer authors giving things out.

message 24: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

Wow I had no idea she wrote it that long ago!! Thanx for the info Melzz!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

No problem. :)
It makes sense, though. Some people like to do two different POV's when writing a story, to make it more rounded.

message 26: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

Yeah it makes perfect sense...I always wondered if she did it that way or if she went back and wrote it later.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know if a hater would take the time to get a version of midnight sun.

message 28: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

LOL...yeah right!!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

There are some very obsessed haters out there, I wouldn't doubt someone would take the time.

message 30: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

EXACTLY!!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think someone who hated it would post it knowing the impact it would make. If a hater posted it they might try to squeeze a few negative comments out of it. Someone can be that mean.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

It's alright, it's hard.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

wow never thought of that. It's possible. Well actually that's something I've never thought about. Hmm I kind of think it was a fan that was so excited they leaked it everywhere. How they got a hold of it is interesting.

message 34: by Kayla (new)

Kayla I guess... maybe. but the manuscript copies were given to very close friends, Stephenie says so herself. I think that whoever leaked it had no super malicious intent, and that they weren't a hater. I think the hater club that posted it got hold of it from the first person somehow. I do feel for Stephenie, though. And if(no, when) she finished DHN, it'll be the best out of all of them. Keep writing, Steph!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Kayla wrote: "I think the hater club that posted it got hold of it from the first person somehow."

Yeah, and that would mean that the hater that got hold of it leaked it, not the friend. Good thinking.

message 36: by Kayla (new)

Kayla I believe Stephenie when she says that there wasn't any bad intent. The person was her close friend, and i think that whatever way it got leaked, it was on accident or unknowingly on their part. The person who actually leaked it obviously is a hater. At least, that's how my reasoning works...

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Ya but I think the first person that had it wasn't careful and some insane person leaked.

message 38: by Vivi (new)

Vivi | 2543 comments I still don't know how someone got it from the friend or if the friend was the one that leaked it.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, Stephenie knows who it was, but she said there was no "malicious intent". So, maybe the friend got careless, and a hate site got hold of it? It was traced back to an anti twilight site.

message 40: by Vivi (new)

Vivi | 2543 comments How did Stephenie give her drafts to her friends, electronically or hard copy

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

She wrote some of it before she got published, so she gave a draft to her friend in a sprial-bound notebook. The website got a hold of them in scanned pages.

message 42: by Vivi (new)

Vivi | 2543 comments Why would the friend scan them in the first place?

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know if the friend scanned them, but that's how the website made it postable. It could just have easily been taken as a notebook, and then scanned by someone else.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know, this is all speculation.

message 45: by Vivi (new)

Vivi | 2543 comments Melzz wrote: "I don't know, this is all speculation."

Why won't stephenie spill the beans

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Because they're still good friends, and she doesn't want anyone to see them badly. ¬_¬

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

oh i feel bad for the friend.

message 48: by Vivi (new)

Vivi | 2543 comments Ambizzle wrote: "oh i feel bad for the friend."

Why, Melzz said they're still good friends

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Well I can't imagine how horrible she feels about it her copy getting leaked.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope that she is a good enough person that she at least felt a little guilty letting down not only Stephenie, but millions of fans.

« previous 1