Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Top 5 Historical Fiction Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) Wow, this was much tougher than I thought it would be. Here's mine, in no particular order, mostly since I couldn't possibly put them in order.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
The Blue Star A Novel by Tony Earley
Losing Julia by Jonathan Hull
A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers
Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin

And I'm sure someone is going to come along and mention a book that makes me smack myself on the head and say "Why didn't I remember that one?"

message 2: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3669 comments Mod
OFF WITH HER HEAD! :P

message 3: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3669 comments Mod
LOL... I haven't read either one of those yet, although Allison is determined to get me to read Outlander, and I am looking right at The Other Boleyn Girl as I type. (Well, not really, I'm looking at the screen as I type, but I can see it if I shift my gaze...)

You can come out of hiding L, I promise to put the guillotine to work ONLY for spammers. For now.

message 4: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments I'm itching to read Outlander as soon as I finish The First Man in Rome except I work with a guy named Jamie and the thought of drooling over a Jamie kinda grosses me out. :)

message 5: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) This Jamie will definitely have you changing your mind, Felina!

JG (Introverted Reader) It's been a very long time since I picked up any of the Outlander series (just lost track of the new ones), but I have to agree that Jamie is drool-worthy!

My top 5 (This is hard!):

The Book Thief
Ahab's Wife Or, The Star-gazer A Novel
A Northern Light
Skeletons at the Feast
Gone to Soldiers

That list is heavy on the WWII books. 3 out of 5!

message 7: by Christy B (new)

Christy B (runaway84) Oy. This is a hard one.

1. Possession A Romance by A.S. Byatt
2. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
3. The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber
4. The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly
5. The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

message 8: by Summer (new)

Summer | 57 comments I am 100 pages from finishing Outlander!!! I was sceptical of reading such a long book, but I could not put it down, and I can't stop thinking about it!!! The best book I have read this year for sure!!! I LOVE JAMIE!!

message 9: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) Just think Summer, you have thousands of pages ahead of you. LOL!

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 299 comments This is hard!
I think mine would be...

1. The Mists of Avalon
2. Gone With The Wind
3. The Birth of Venus
4. Memoirs of a Geisha
5. Outlander

How has no one said Gone with the Wind yet? Anyone read it and love it as much as I did?

message 11: by JG (Introverted Reader) (last edited Sep 07, 2009 02:08AM) (new)

JG (Introverted Reader) I haven't read it, but I just bought a used copy. Is it weird that I hate movie covers but I think it's really cool that this one has a vintage movie poster as the cover? I would add it in here, but I can't find one like it in our system. I'll try to remember to add it in here later, after I add my copy in.

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Scarlett's still swooning, but I just like the old movie poster.

message 12: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) Oh god, that is a hard one,

hmmmm i would say and this is not in order

Gone with the Wind
Adventures of Kaviler and Clay - Michael Chabon
I Claudius - Robert Graves
Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
Doctor Zhivago - Boris Pasternak

This list will change in about an hour I'm sure, mainly because I haven't put Cross Stitch aka Outlander. And I wanted to put the Iliad by Homer in there but I wasn't sure if that counted as historical fiction.

message 13: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Sep 09, 2009 07:48PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I would say the list looks like this so far:

Hawaii - James Michener
Outlander - Diana Gabaldon
Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
Shogun - James Clavell
The Winds of War - Herman Wouk.

message 15: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) No I have to change some of it.

Second version, still not in order

Gone with the Wind

To Kill a Mockingbird

Adventures of Kaviler and Clay by M Chabon

I Claudius - Graves

Book Thief - Zusak

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 74 comments Here are my top 5:

1. Queen of Camelot by Nancy McKenzie
2. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
3. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
4. Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
5. The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

Has anyone read Queen of Camelot? I am always recommending it to friends, but no one seems to have heard of it. It is completely amazing!!

message 17: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) No but I will have to look it up. What is it about?

message 18: by Kimberly (last edited Sep 12, 2009 04:16PM) (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 74 comments Queen of Camelot is the story of Guinevere's life, told from her perspective. It focuses on her marriage to Arthur and the love triangle among Arthur, Lancelot, and her. It is incredible! I can't say enough good things about. I've read the classic Arthurian legends like The Once and Future King and The Mists of Avalon, but this is by far my favorite. You become so attached to the characters...it had me laughing and crying.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Kimberly, I just added it to my TBR. It looks great.

message 20: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 74 comments Lyn wrote: "Kimberly, I just added it to my TBR. It looks great. "

Great! I would love to know what you think of it, so let me know.

message 21: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) I didn't managed to get Once and future king, but I did get Mists of Avalon, and why I was there I lots of DVD's as well.

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mom2grma) | 31 comments I haven't read alot of the books on most of your lists so have to go add them to my ever-growing TBR list!

I had to giggle about "swooning" over Jamie. I always laugh when gushing about the Outlander series that I have a crush on a fictional character! Every woman needs a Jamie Fraser in their life!

so far this would be my list:

1.Outlander actually the whole series!
2.The Bronze Horseman
3.Memoirs of a Geisha
4.Into the Wilderness
5.Rebecca

don't know if you really consider Rebecca HF but I loved it when I was younger and want to read it again.

message 23: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 74 comments Hi Lisa, I've never heard of The Bronze Horseman--it looks really good! I've added it to my TBR :)

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mom2grma) | 31 comments I really enjoyed it. Set in Leningrad during the war. Its the first of three in a series but it stands alone well. I haven't read the other two yet.

message 25: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinlouise429) | 5 comments Ok so here are a few of mine. No particular order:

The Thirteenth Tale
Memoirs of a Geisha
Heavens War
Mr. Lincoln's Wars A Novel in Thirteen Stories
The Last Secret of the Temple

HF is my favorite genre but I have just realized from making this list that I haven't read enough of them! Gotta get on that.

message 26: by Kathy (last edited Oct 17, 2009 10:00AM) (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 26 comments Oh my, just five. I am going to just name them without thinking too much, which means I will have to come back later with apologies for forgotten books.

1. Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi
2. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
3. Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks
4. Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette by Sena Jeter Naslund
5. The Falls by Joyce Carol Oates or The Good German by Joseph Kanon

message 27: by Mirian (new)

Mirian (ocmirian) In no particular order:

The Scarlet Pimpernel
The Count of Monte Cristo
Outlander
Rebecca
Persuasion

message 28: by Mirian (new)

Mirian (ocmirian) Good to see everyone's favorites. I hadn't realized how many books I didn't know of!

message 29: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 26 comments OK, I knew I'd have to come back. The Outlander series is absolutely one of my favorites, but I'm going to put it in a category all by itself, like best historical fiction books with a rocking good love story involving a Scottish Highlander hunk.

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mom2grma) | 31 comments Like how you think Kathy!

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mom2grma) | 31 comments Glad to hear your comments on the book Fiona. Even after reading just the little descriptors on the books I could see that maybe she was stretching it. I enjoyed the Bronze Horseman alot and really feel it stands on its own.

message 32: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) Okay, I'm going to have to put 'The American Boy' on my TBR list. It sounds great. Thanks, Fiona!

message 33: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) I have no idea what has happened to Simmons in her last few books. They are becoming triter and triter. With such great novels like the Bronze horseman, Tully, and Girl from Times Square (last two not HF but still worth a go) she's seems to have lost her mojo.

message 34: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) Fiona wrote: "yay!

It is known as An Unpardonable Crime in the US though just so you know."

Oh, thanks! You've just saved me from months of searching for the wrong title!

message 35: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 26 comments Lisa wrote: "Like how you think Kathy!"

Thanks, Lisa. LOL

message 36: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) Fiona wrote: "I really liked Tully and The Bronze Horseman - though in part my tastes have changed since then.

I despised The Girl from Times Square. Too emotionally manipulative and empty for me. You could re..."

I totally get what you are saying! Most of her novels are completely emotionally manipulative. I read it on a beach some where in Queensland, :), so wanted something more empty. My tastes have changed too.

message 37: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Wilson (oldhousejunkie) | 10 comments Love all the recommendations!
My top three are ones that I have (literally) read half a dozen times. The other two are ones that I really enjoyed and couldn't put down when I was reading them.

1. The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly
2. The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly
3. Grammercy Park by Paula Cohen
4. Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourne
5. Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Raybourne

message 38: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Wilson (oldhousejunkie) | 10 comments Heather wrote: "Oooo, love to see the Deanna Raybourne books in your top 5, Caroline! I'm REALLY looking forward to reading those. I also have The Tea Rose that I need to get to eventually. I've read..."

Love both Deanna Raybourne and Jennifer Donnelly! I am eagerly awaiting Deanne Raybourne's new book, which is a departure from the Lady Julia Grey Series (although she says she's working on the 4th installment in the LJG series.) They are not to be missed. I don't think I have ever read an author that has captured the sexual tension between two characters so well (and without being smutty!)

The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose can't be missed either. Seriously addicting! Be prepared to not put it down until you finish. "The Wild Rose" is coming out at the end of next year in England. My aunt lives there, and she always brings me the copy on her holiday trip home, so I can beat the American release date. I'm such a dork!

message 39: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 26 comments I love the Deanna Raybourne books, too. I just finished one I will have to add to my top choices of historical fiction, The Owl Killers The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland by Karen Maitland.

message 40: by Liz (last edited Nov 09, 2009 12:59PM) (new)

Liz (busy91) Great lists, I'll be adding some of these.
Mine are:

Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Destiny of Miro by Julie Rae Rickard
The Good Earth Illustrated by Barron Storey by Pearl S. Buck
Christ the Lord Out of Egypt A Novel by Anne Rice
Sacajawea by Anna Lee Waldo

I'm sure I haven't read as many of some of you. Ask me again next year, I'm sure the list will change.

Oh I forgot To Kill a Mockingbird which is one of my top 5 books of all time.

message 41: by Jeane (new)

Jeane Fiona wrote: "I really liked Tully and The Bronze Horseman - though in part my tastes have changed since then.

I despised The Girl from Times Square. Too emotionally manipulative and empty for me. You could re..."

I want to read Tully!!!

message 42: by Jeane (new)

Jeane Ok, I am not good in puting books in boxes of genres, so if some aren't historical fiction ...please let me know.

1. Pompeii (loved it)
2. Sepulchre
3. Labyrinth
4. The Historian
5. The Fire (read this last month and it was love after the first page. I was obsessed by it!)

These aren't in order and are actually the ones who came in my mind now.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Jean - I am really looking forward to reading The Fire. I loved The Eight.

message 44: by Jeane (new)

Jeane Fiona wrote: "Aww wish I'd known I've already given my copy away!"

I jsut know I have it on the first page of my notebook with to read books and that I wrote it about five years ago..still didn't read it:-)

message 45: by Jeane (new)

Jeane Lyn wrote: "Jean - I am really looking forward to reading The Fire. I loved The Eight. "

Lyn, you are the first person I hear that read one of her books!!!! One of my colleagues was raving about The fire so that in the end I was already obsessed with it without reading, so taht she gave me her copy to read. And wow, it was just great!!!!! It is a real special book for me. I am looking forward to read The eight:-)))

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2962 comments I liked The Other Boelyn Girl, Mists of Avalon, The Boelyn Inheritance, Jane Eyre, and Anastasia from the Royal Diaries series.

message 47: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 26 comments Jeane wrote: "Ok, I am not good in puting books in boxes of genres, so if some aren't historical fiction ...please let me know.

1. Pompeii (loved it)
2. Sepulchre
3. [book:Labyrinth..."

Jeane, The Historian is one of my favorite books. I'm glad you enjoyed it, too.

message 49: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 26 comments And another one I forgot, which is outstanding is The Good German The Good German by Joseph Kanon by Joseph Kanon. Please, if you've seen the movie and not read the book, don't judge the book. The movie changed everything essential about the book and was a horrible adaptation.

message 50: by Jeane (new)

Jeane Joseph wrote: "It's hard to pick just 5, but I'll give it a try.
In no particular order:
The Eight by Katherine Neville
Sunflowers by [author:Sheramy Bundrick|1605393..."

Joseph, you brought a big smile on my face by writing The eight in your list! I have it on my shelves but not read yet. What I have read and absolutely adored, even if that is an understatement of how it made me feel, is The fire written by her. I loved it!!!

« previous 1