Supernatural Fiction Readers discussion

General Discussions > Goosebumps! And favorite memories!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 29, 2009 01:52PM) (new)

Goosebumps by R.L. Stine.....

I love these books, the reason I've created this discussion is I was rumaging in my closet and came across my collection of the series from when I was a little kid. These books I blame for my addiction to supernatural/horror books and for my addiction to reading period.

These books bring back some of my favorite memories of my life.=D When I was four of five I would go stay with my older brother and his then girlfriend(now wife) in their apartment in a differant town for a week or weekend. We would go to my favorite pizzaria, which conveniently was and still is cojoined to a used bookstore! :) After eating our pizza they would alway buy me one or two Goosebump books!

AAAH! I feel all happy thinking of these memories!

I can't wait to go back to that town and goto see what that bookstore has now.

But Goosebumps was also a great TV series and I would always go watch the Goosebumps series with my neighbor and godmother once a week after school when they were on.

And now, has anyone else ever read these books? But an even better question I have is does anyone have some just great memories they will never forget the are brougth back by a book?

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I got these for my kids. I think Brandon, the youngest boy, was the only one that read any of them. No one else seemed interested. I read a couple, but it's been 20 years. No real memories.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh it doesn't have to be a memory about these books Jim just any book when you think of it you remember a great memory that the book had a part in.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Well, they helped keep one of my kids reading, which is always a plus. He's an adult now, in his mid twenties, is building a bookcase right now & making a list of books he has so I can supply/recommend more. (I'm the family librarian.) They were part of his love for reading. So, a very good thing.

message 5: by Werner (last edited Aug 30, 2009 05:54AM) (new)

Werner | 1790 comments My middle daughter read quite a few Goosebumps books as a preteen and young teen; those, and some other scary/ supernatural books got her to read, so like Jim I was grateful for that. And I think it's cool that those books helped to give you your love of the genre, and for reading in general, Levi! For all of us, the books that were our gateway into the world of reading will always have a special place in our hearts.

Personally, I've never read any of the books, but I watched some episodes of the TV series based on them in the 80s/90s (there wasn't much supernatural TV to choose from back then!). My favorite one (which was actually done as a movie) is A Night in Terror Tower; Stine's characteristic surprise ending for once works very effectively there. In general, though, I thought he usually strains way too hard for a surprise ending, often dragging one in from way out in left field, even though it completely violates the logic of the story. That's a really poor use of the technique, IMO, which doesn't respect the intelligence of the audience.

A competitor (now also defunct, alas! :-)) of Stine's show was Are You Afraid of the Dark?, which I genuinely liked. The stories there had kid protagonists, but were suitable for all ages, and I thought the plotting was usually better crafted than Stine's. If the Midnight Society had been real, I'd have loved to be a member!

message 6: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1790 comments Levi, in retrospect, I realized my comments on Stine probably came across as pretty snotty, and that wasn't fair to him (especially, since, as I said, I haven't read any of the books). A writer who's been liked that much by so many kids (and, no doubt, some adults) must be doing some things right, and deserves credit for it. I just have a bee in my bonnet about how writers handle surprise endings --so that crochet is as much about me as about Stine!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow I haven't thought about those Goosebump books for years. I use to love them when i was a kid. I was in Walden's bookstore like every week getting the lastest R.L. Stine book. Then I started reading Christopher Pike. Ah memories. lol. Oh boy Are you Afraid of the Dark was my favorite show growing up!!! That's when Nickelodeon was good. Thanks for the trip down memory lane guys:o)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

No problamo Steph!!!

message 9: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 207 comments I think my son read these when he was young. I read a couple, to see how they were.