The Next Best Book Club discussion

76 views
In Honor Of Those Who've Passed > Senator Edward M. Kennedy

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments I haven't seen anything posted, so I wanted to honor Senator Edward Moore Kennedy's life by posting this here.

One of my earliest memories is of watching President John Kennedy's funeral on T.V. It seemed to go on forever. So much grief everywhere.

I have a much more distinct memory of Senator Robert Kennedy's horrific murder and the awful sadness that seemed never to end ...

I grew up with a major crush on John Jr. and sat in stunned shock and complete disbelief as I watched the news of his tragic plane crash and the face of his sister Caroline, frozen in grief, once again.

Ted Kennedy gave the eulogy at his nephew's service and I will never forget one line he said ..
"...what made us arrogant enough to think that we would see THIS John grow to have silver in his hair?"

I realize that the younger members of TNBBC may not have the same visceral reaction to this family and their story, but for those of us that do, and for those of us who care, I wish Senator Edward Kennedy eternal peace and pray that he is now with his brothers and the family that he loved so much.
RIP.


Petra kissed a frog and he turned into a toad (petra-x) What I don't understand about Ted Kennedy is that, no matter what good he did or didn't do in his years as a senator, because of his actions both negligent and deliberate Mary Jo Kopechne died and that has been absolutely swept under the table.


message 3: by Katie (last edited Sep 02, 2009 08:14PM) (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (kflora) Suzanne wrote: "I haven't seen anything posted, so I wanted to honor Senator Edward Moore Kennedy's life by posting this here.

One of my earliest memories is of watching President John Kennedy's funeral on T.V...."

He changed our country for the better. He was by no means perfect, and a lot of his mistakes were played out over and over in public. However, he was a compassionate man that worked hard to give some sense of justice in this world. I personally have benefited from much of his work, particularly student loans and the ADA.



message 4: by Petra kissed a frog and he turned into a toad (last edited Aug 30, 2009 01:42PM) (new)

Petra kissed a frog and he turned into a toad (petra-x) I am sure that if many drunken drivers who deserted an accident they'd caused leaving someone critically ill or dead, in the hope that they could get away with it, weren't prosecuted and sentenced to prison they too would have led exemplary lives ever after.

I'm not an American, I have no idea of the ins and outs of US domestic policies but from what I've read I have no doubt that Kennedy was a good politician and a good man. I also don't doubt however, that Mary Jo Kopechne's family would disagree with that.

You can't have one law for the rich and well-connected and another for those who lack those advantages. You can't say that a life lived well since makes up for the negligent and cavalier death of someone else, who might have gone on to great things and made great contributions to the country in her own right. Who knows?



message 5: by Katie (last edited Aug 31, 2009 11:17AM) (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (kflora) I guess I'm just of the belief that when someone dies, let's focus on their positive accomplishments, and let their failures be between them and their redeemer. I hope I get the same consideration when I die.


Petra kissed a frog and he turned into a toad (petra-x) Katie wrote: "I guess I'm just of the belief that when someone dies, let's focus on their positive accomplishments, and let their failures be between them and their redeemer. I hope I get the same consideration ..."

Katie, I totally disagree with what you say, but please don't take it as I disagree with you personally. My mother died earlier this month and I was an abused child (we reconciled... at the last moment almost) and have been strongly focused on the positive, negative and the hereafter (if there is one).

I think murder is considerably more than a failure. I mean I don't see how you could say to Mary Jo Kopechne's family, let's forget the fact Edward Kennedy left your daughter to die after the drunken accident that either killed her or left her wounded, God will deal with that, and meanwhile we the living will concentrate on focusing on his accomplishments. Its just not right.




message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (kflora) It wasn't a murder, if he had been charged it would've been manslaughter at most, as there was no malicious intent shown on his part.

Chappaquiddick was never swept under the rug, it was openly and publicly investigated. I remember well those days as my dad hated all of the Kennedys. It was brought up again ad nauseum when he ran for president. As far as Mary Jo Kopechne's family go they have been quiet about it for years.

My life has been greatly enhanced because of his work on the American's with Disabilities Act. Imagine being able to get a foot in the door, when in the past 50-70% of the doors were closed to you?

Why can't you just let it go and leave those of us who have benefited from his work grieve with others as we want to? He's dead, now is the time for him to face his redeemer, let it be.

But you're entitled to your opinion :shrug:.


message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I see both sides of this argument, and Petra you know I respect you & your opinion, but I agree that once someone is dead, you should probably try and focus on the good that they did.

I hope that's what people will do with me. Everyone makes lots of mistakes, and I know what you are saying, it's not like a mistake this tragedy that occurred, it's not the same thing, but the man and really his whole family have had such an impact on our country that you have to at least acknowledge that at his passing.


message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (kflora) Laura wrote: "I see both sides of this argument, and Petra you know I respect you & your opinion, but I agree that once someone is dead, you should probably try and focus on the good that they did.

I hope tha..."


I appreciate your view on this issue, as I appreciate Petra's view in most discussions as an owner of an independent bookstore. Petra obviously loves books given her dream.

Two people were involved in Chappaquiddick. The investigation was inconclusive. The two people who were involved in that accident are now dead, let them rest in peace.

From Ted and the others, they could have sat back on their wealth and never did a day of hard work. Yet, they have championed the rights of those without health care, a fair wage, folks who were discriminated against because of their skin color or a disability.

It's unfair to say that those of us who have benefited from Ted's hard work, should not celebrate his life because of a tragic event, of which none of us know about a conclusive ending, including law enforcement that conducted the investigation.

I respect the naysayers, I just hate grave-dancing...let those who want to grieve do so. A recent big-news celebrity death occurred, and I wasn't a big follower, but I understood the emotions of the fans, and their grief, I didn't stomp on it with questions about that person's morality.

Human emotions are difficult to understand. Whether it's a family member that you had a difficult relationship with, or someone more distant that has had a positive impact in your life...you get very protective of your emotions.

If Lori is going to keep up this "In Honor" forum, let's agree to be respectful of those who do grieve a person's passing, and leave negativity out of it.



message 10: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10035 comments Mod
I have to side (slightly) with Katie here. This thread was originally posted with the intent of honoring a man who passed on.

While everyones opinion is valid and should be heard, please withhold from bashing or smearing the person that is being honored. Discussion is great, but as always, political points of view tend to become a source of soreness here.....


message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (kflora) Ixan wrote: "I don't think Petra bashed or smeared Kennedy. She did not say he did more than himself admitted. It would seem to me that if honoring a person is more important than truth, we might as well all be..."
Petra wasn't bashing. However, when someone dies, maybe the best thing is to focus on that person's positive accomplishments, and leave out the negativity. Think of what you would want others to say upon your own passing.




message 12: by Epee (last edited Sep 14, 2009 08:43PM) (new)

Epee (epers) I think honour should be given where honour is due. I think you are bashing Petra because she didn't fall in with your adulation of Kennedy.


message 13: by Katie (last edited Sep 16, 2009 07:54PM) (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (kflora) Epee wrote: "I think honour should be given where honour is due. I think you are bashing Petra because she didn't fall in with your adulation of Kennedy."

Wow, just wow! What on earth has happened to civility in our society?

I do not "adulate" Teddy Kennedy. As I have said he was very human with very human faults. Petra's views are hers and she has the right to speak her views. However, given that this thread is "In Honor of", I suggest we agree to keep it classy and positive (imho, Petra is classy, but her opinions were misplaced, she could have found any number of other forums to go over Teddy's failures). Could you imagine going to an online memorial for a close family member, and reading negative posts about your loved one, especially when you thought they accomplished positive things that impacted hundreds of thousands lives, and yet the focus was on the negative?

I'm well aware of Teddy's faults. However, I'm an American citizen who has benefited from his public service and the laws he wrote. Should I not celebrate his efforts and the impact they had on my life and those of many thousands of Americans?

He had a crappy personal life, and he admitted to making big mistakes. I agree, his personal life was less than stellar.

However, in spite of his failures, he accomplished great things as a U.S.Senator. For those of us who have benefited from his accomplishments, should we not honor the man? Or are we less deserving, or maybe not deserving at all?

I'm continuing this conversation mostly to set a precedent for what comes ahead. We'll continue to grieve the passing of certain celebrities and public figures...but we need to agree as to what is appropriate and inappropriate.




back to top