Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Silkwood

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Francis (new)

Francis Tapon (ftapon) I'm working on the paperback version of this book, which will come out in 2009.

I plan to make minor changes.

What do you suggest I change?

Francis

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it is.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (kay8jay) | 23 comments I just saw this the other day... I mean, it has Meryl Streep so you can't really lose, right? :) I thought it was quite good - very moving. But of course, I wanted to know more of the story. (BTW, this is the movie about the nuclear plant that denied that interacting with plutonium causes cancer.) Does anyone know of any books about (Karen?) Silkwood? Naturally, I was especially interested in whether her various "misfortunes" were merely coincidental, or...

You know, watching it for the first time after stuff like "The Insider" and "Erin Brockovich" had already come out made it a different, less-shocking experience, but it still made an impact on me.

Also, did it come out in theaters? The back of the movie (it was a tape) said it was nominated for some Oscars, but I swear it was a made-for-tv movie.

Perhaps there's more info about the story on a DVD version --

message 4: by Cliff (last edited Mar 13, 2008 04:34AM) (new)

Cliff | 46 comments Came out in the movies. I think both Cher and Meryl Streep were nominated for Oscars.

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie i agree, but only have saturday to compare it too which paled in comparison. is there any other terrific book by him someone would recceommend?

message 6: by Renee (new)

Renee Definitely his best!

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mickeyz) I really enjoyed "Atonement". The only other McEwan book I have read is "The Cement Garden" and it was just strange.... Dead parents, incest, and not necessarily likeable characters (in my opinion, characters can be and should be flawed, but still relatable...). I haven't read any other books by McEwan-- "Saturday" just SOUNDS prententious... And I am afraid any other readings of his work may just spoil "Atonement" for me.

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie atonement was sooo good theres got to be another book even if its a future book that has or will live up to it. another book, not great but pretty interesting, Malakai has a dab of sibling betrayal that reminded me of atonement... but dont read it if your looking for something in atonements class.

message 9: by Jen (last edited May 07, 2008 07:48AM) (new)

Jen C. Atonement was the first McEwan book I read, and I also loved it. Then I read Saturday and Amsterdam and didn't really care for either all that much. But On Chesil Beach won me back. It's quite different from Atonement in style and narration, but the heart is all there. Plus, it's really short, so if you end up hating it, at least it was quick!

message 10: by Debbie (new)

Debbie i am about to put on chesil beachoin hold at the library if possible.thanks for the recommendation.

message 11: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Frane (kristinfrane) I tried twice, but just could not get into this book!

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi When I first started Atonement, I had the hardest time reading the first 50 pages... too much description (pages about that darn vase), but as that fateful day wore on, it picked up and by the time his note was delivered, I was hooked... and I still say it has one of the best endings in literature... a stomach puncher of an ending.

Now I'm going to try to read another book, but haven't decided which one to pick first...maybe Saturday.

message 13: by Debbie (new)

Debbie not saturday. im going to try chesil beach that jen suggested.

message 14: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessmonster) I've read Saturday, Amsterdam, and Enduring Love, and none of them lived up to Atonement. They were all interesting, but didn't have as much emotional punch.

message 15: by Molly (new)

Molly Hagen I would suggest trying Amesterdam, or Black Dogs. I would agree though, that Atonement is his best.

message 16: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I really tried to read this book, gave up in the middle. Yes, I know there'a good story here but just could not stand all the details. It may have been good if at least half of it was edited out. It was about as interesting as reading someones diary on a day to day basis...
Bonnie

message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna My McEwan experience was:
"Oh, Atonement is all over the best-seller lists...I guess I should read it."
[a long time passes]
"This movie Enduring Love is really good."
[more time]
"I'm finally going to read Atonement. Here it is at the library. Whaaaa? He wrote the novel of Enduring Love, too?"
[I read both books]
"Briony, I hate you."
[then the movie of Atonement came out]
"Briony, I still hate you."

In conclusion: I really don't like Briony, and that affected my enjoyment of Atonement. Enduring Love, however, is TOTALLY CRAZY and freaked me out, so if that's what you're looking for, godspeed.

message 18: by Jason (new)

Jason i think so but i've only read three of his books (including this one).

message 19: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Colebrook Hmmmm... I loved Enduring Love and The Cement Garden was decent but I had to give up on Atonememnet pretty early on. Totally self-indulgent, and I just didn't have the patience for it. Maybe I'll give it another go when I have nothing else toread.

message 20: by Randomhero (new)

Randomhero Easily the best.

message 21: by Heidi (new)

Heidi For those of you who only made it part way thru the book... slog on... it's got one heck of an ending and it's worth it! Once you get to the second part, it flies!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I have really enjoyed this book so far. The only minor thing I would suggest is to add a line on your quizzes so folks can pencil in their answer and then easily tally up the scores. That's it. I know it is really minor in the grand scheme of things but to be honest, that is the only thing I can think of. The layout of your book is awesome. I love the charts and the information blocks. I also really like the sizing of the font and the included photos. I had never heard of the publisher, SonicTrek, Inc. but they did a fabulous job on the layout. Very well done!

message 23: by Francis (new)

Francis Tapon (ftapon) F.J. wrote: "I have really enjoyed this book so far. The only minor thing I would suggest is to add a line on your quizzes so folks can pencil in their answer and then easily tally up the scores. That's it. ..."

FJ, thanks for the suggestion! Xavier Tsouo was the designer and I agree he did such a great job that I mentioned him in the Acknowledgements section. I was picky about where the 50 photos and dozens of sidebars went, and he was great.

Also, I wanted a book that busy people can easy pick up and read for 5 minutes and get something out of it, put it down, and then read it 2 months later, for just 10 minutes, and get something out of it too. So the layout and the format was important in achieving that, so thanks for mentioning it!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked Saturday too.