The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

287 views
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > Diane's Task

Comments Showing 1-50 of 110 (110 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments I love your task Diane! I was trying to fit in a self help book I bought over the summer and it was homeless before you wrote your task!

Would The Wishing Year An Experiment in Desire work for the second half of your task? The woman is giving advice but also experienced a change in her life so it seems like a memoir/self help.

Thank you!


message 2: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth (marybethbaker) | 143 comments Diane, would The Geography of Bliss One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World count for the first half of your task? The words "self-help guide" are in the description, but I wasn't sure. And, for the second part, I'm considering using Drawing in the Dust as the description notes that the main character must learn how to let go of her painful past in order to fully live here life. Would do you guys think?


message 3: by Teresa (last edited Aug 29, 2009 06:57AM) (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Chicken Soup for the Girl's Soul Real Stories by Real Girls About Real Stuff

Parenting a defiant child : a sanity-saving guide to finally stopping the bad behavior / Philip S. Hall, Nancy D. Hall.

do these fullfil the requirements for this task. thanks


message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily | 131 comments Does anyone have any good fiction suggestions? I'm not super into the self-help section of the library/book store but would love to read about someone doing some good for themselves!


message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie Hi Diane,

Would Liliane Resurrection of the Daughter work for the second part of your task?

Here's the description:
Through the polyphonic voices of Liliane Lincoln's childhood friends, lovers, and conversations with her psychoanalyst, Ntozake Shange weaves the life of a remarkable young woman. Liliane Lincoln is an artist who exposes what she knows of herself to the world through her bold and colorful artwork. Gradually, however, Liliane realizes that in order to survive, she must come to terms with what she has kept hidden even from herself. Liliane is extraordinary vision of a woman learning to be who she really is.


message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 734 comments Diane, I have two fiction books in mind for the second part of the task, both by Elizabeth Berg and wanted to make sure one of them would work. They are:
Open House a Novel by Elizabeth Berg Open House A Novel
The Art of Mending by Elizabeth Berg The Art of Mending

Thanks!


message 7: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 29, 2009 08:52AM) (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) I did a search here on goodreads for self-help through the "Find Books" tab.

Are these ok for the task? -

Part 1 -
The Birth Order Book Why You Are the Way You Are

Part 2 -
Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Others I found listed as Self-Help that might fit for the second part of the task are -

The Alchemist
Tuesdays with Morrie An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson
The Last Lecture
Eat, Pray, Love One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia


message 8: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments I read Julia's Chocolates last year and loved it. I highly recommend it for anyone who is looking for the fiction part of Diane's task. It is the story of a woman who runs away from her abusive fiance (the day of the wedding) and slowly heals herself and finds therapy in making chocolates with her aunt out west. I loved this book - it draws you in from the very first sentence.

I am thinking about reading Her Last Death for this task - about a woman who's mother was a destructive influence and has pulled herself up to make a better life for herself.

I have no idea what to read for the actual self-help book part. That is SO not something I have ever had interest in reading. If anyone has recommendations for something thst isnt too preachy or annoying, please suggest!


message 9: by Katie (last edited Aug 29, 2009 09:04AM) (new)

Katie Bridgit wrote: "I read Julia's Chocolates last year and loved it. I highly recommend it for anyone who is looking for the fiction part of Diane's task. It is the story of a woman who runs away from h..."

If you're a writer, I've heard Bird by Bird Some Instructions on Writing and Life is good. It doesn't seem too preachy.

I also think that The Creative Habit Learn It and Use It for Life should work for this task, too. It looks like an interesting read, whether or not you self-identify as an artist.

These might be self-improvement rather than self-help. Is there a difference?


message 10: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments I'm going to use The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl for the second part of this task (moved it from the 'apple' task!) but like Bridgit and Emily, I'm not really into the whole self-help kind of book .... so I'm also interested in some non-preachy type books!


message 11: by Angela (new)

Angela | 410 comments Do the self-help and other book for this task have to be related in any way? Like if I choose a book that is a self-help for self esteem, does the other book have to follow the same theme?


message 12: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesliecs) | 51 comments I'm not much for self-help books either, but I am fond of reading stuff that claims it will help me be more organized - I always implement one or two ideas for maybe a couple weeks, then go back to my disorganized ways. I like the looks of Houseworks Cut the Clutter, Speed Your Cleaning and Calm the Chaos. I love reading about de-cluttering! If you're like me and kind of love this kind of stuff, other fun-looking stuff comes up if you search Goodreads for "housework" or "procrastination."


message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 275 comments My wife points out that Julie and Julia is a good example of self-improvement in a novel. I was thinking of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance as a non-fiction example. Would either/both of those be alright for the second part of the challenge?


message 14: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments All the books previously mentioned work well for the task.

Angela - the books do NOT have to be related. The topics can be from completely different subjects.

Self-improvement/Self-help is a pretty broad subject. It is also very subjective. How-to books can also be considered, as they too, fall within this genre.

Some ideas to consider for the second half of the task - a character who:
- Overcomes a disability, addiction, peer pressure, or other obstacle or shortcoming in their life
- Fulfills a life-long dream or goal
- Earns an award, prize, degree etc., from their hard work or accomplishment
- Forgives or reconciles with a family member or friend
- Performs a selfless or charitable act for another person or group of people
- Learns a new skill, trade, or hobby
- Realizes inner peace or self-actualization within their own life, or at least learns to come to terms with events that have happened in their life
- Does something they or others didn't think was possible
- Does the right thing in the end, even if it involves negative repercussions (i.e. going to jail, being suspended)
- Becomes a better person





message 15: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Diane wrote: "All the books previously mentioned work well for the task.

Angela - the books do NOT have to be related. The topics can be from completely different subjects.

Self-improvement/Self-help is a..."


thank you




message 16: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 275 comments Diane wrote: "All the books previously mentioned work well for the task.

Angela - the books do NOT have to be related. The topics can be from completely different subjects.

Self-improvement/Self-help is a..."


So, a how-to cookbook like Anthony Bourdain's "Les Halles" Cookbook would be okay?


message 17: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments Sam wrote: "Diane wrote: "All the books previously mentioned work well for the task.

Angela - the books do NOT have to be related. The topics can be from completely different subjects.

Self-improvement/Self..."


Absolutely. Cookbooks teach us to become better cooks. :)


message 18: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Cookbooks are okay? That's great! I have a few that I haven't used yet, this gives me the motivation to use them now! :)


message 19: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Just curious

would reading 2 different chicken soup books count?

Earlier you approved one,

I found quite a few in this series to read : ) oh woe is my TBR list


message 20: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments oh excellent! I can definitely use one of my dozens of cookbooks. Ha! or maybe even the stupid manual of how to set up some of my new computer software!!




message 21: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 680 comments Would these two books count for this task?

Self Improvement: With Purpose Going from Success to Significance in Work and Life

Main character makes a positive change: Escape


message 22: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments Teresa wrote: "Just curious

would reading 2 different chicken soup books count?

Earlier you approved one,

I found quite a few in this series to read : ) oh woe is my TBR list "


I would say that the Chicken Soup books fit more into the second part of the task.


message 23: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments Patricia wrote: "Would these two books count for this task?

Self Improvement: With Purpose Going from Success to Significance in Work and Life

Main character makes a positive change: [book:Escape|..."


Perfect!


message 24: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 29, 2009 08:19PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I assume this is all right, but for the first part, I was thinking about reading a religious book: Receiving Answers to Our Prayers by Gene R. Cook. Going to try and learn how to make prayer more meaningful in my life.

And maybe through reading this book, I'll finally figure out how to spell "receive"!! Grrrr! I before E EXCEPT AFTER C!

For the second part, I was to read The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl!! Holy cow, it looks awesome!


message 25: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments Sara wrote: "I assume this is all right, but for the first part, I was thinking about reading a religious book: Receiving Answers to Our Prayers by Gene R. Cook. Going to try and learn how to m..."

Great choices!


message 26: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Hey Diane, I was thinking of using a cookbook by Rocco Dispirito for the first part of your task and then Julia's Chocolates for the second part. Would those both work?


message 27: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Diane wrote: "Teresa wrote: "Just curious

would reading 2 different chicken soup books count?

Earlier you approved one,

I found quite a few in this series to read : ) oh woe is my TBR list "

I w..."


okay so back to Parent a defiant child for the first part?



message 28: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 111 comments If cookbooks work, could I use a Japanese grammar book for the first part of the task? I'm trying to improve my Japanese and it would definitely be self-improvement for me!


message 29: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 680 comments Diane wrote: "Patricia wrote: "Would these two books count for this task?

Self Improvement: With Purpose Going from Success to Significance in Work and Life

Main character makes a positive ..."


Great! Thanks!


message 30: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments Teresa wrote: "Diane wrote: "Teresa wrote: "Just curious

would reading 2 different chicken soup books count?

Earlier you approved one,

I found quite a few in this series to read : ) oh woe is my TBR..."


Perfect (I think I need to read that one, too...)



message 31: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments Bonnie wrote: "If cookbooks work, could I use a Japanese grammar book for the first part of the task? I'm trying to improve my Japanese and it would definitely be self-improvement for me!"

Absolutely!


message 32: by Julia (new)

Julia (bambbles) | 119 comments Diane, I am pretty sure this will work for the first part of your task but I just wanted to make sure. A book on Yoga? I would look it up on here for a link but it's just called "Yoga"

My Aunt gave it to me and I brought it to college with the express intent of learning Yoga and doing it every morning. I opened it this morning and realized its more than just here is a picture haha! Let me know! Thanks!


message 33: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments Julia wrote: "Diane, I am pretty sure this will work for the first part of your task but I just wanted to make sure. A book on Yoga? I would look it up on here for a link but it's just called "Yoga"

My Aunt gav..."


Definitely!


message 34: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 111 comments Diane wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "If cookbooks work, could I use a Japanese grammar book for the first part of the task? I'm trying to improve my Japanese and it would definitely be self-improvement for me!"

Absol..."


Excellent, thanks Diane!




message 35: by Angie (new)

Angie  (angelitabonita) | 75 comments I've been meaning to re read The Tao of Pooh and to me it's a very inspirational, self help book. But I just wanted to get an OK on this one for the Self Improvement task before I added it to my list.


message 36: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments Angie wrote: "I've been meaning to re read The Tao of Pooh and to me it's a very inspirational, self help book. But I just wanted to get an OK on this one for the Self Improvement task before I adde..."

Yes! Great book!


message 37: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Can anyone who has read Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos or Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen tell me if they might work for the second part of Diane's task? Thanks!


message 38: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (Babies, Books, and Beyond) (mamamunky) | 172 comments Cait wrote: "Can anyone who has read Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos or Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen tell me if they might work for the second part of Diane's task? ..."

Garden Spells is an amaaazing book, but I'm not sure it would fit for the task. Maybe for the apple cover task, since there's an apple tree on the cover. Or for your task ;-) Or Cindy's task. I would argue that it could even work for the prophecy/fortune telling task, but its not a person who has the ability, but the apple tree.


message 39: by Kate (last edited Aug 31, 2009 07:20AM) (new)

Kate (klc23) | 162 comments Diane, I already posted this question in the main questions section, but would YOU The Owner's Manual An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger count as self-help?


message 41: by Angie (new)

Angie  (angelitabonita) | 75 comments Diane wrote: "Angie wrote: "I've been meaning to re read The Tao of Pooh and to me it's a very inspirational, self help book. But I just wanted to get an OK on this one for the Self Improvement tas..."

I read it back in high school but feel it will do me good to read it again now at this different stage in my life. Thanks :)


message 42: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments Kate wrote: "Diane, I already posted this question in the main questions section, but would YOU The Owner's Manual An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger count as..."

Absolutely.


message 43: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments Kate wrote: "Would any of these work for the second part of the task?

The Opposite of Love
The Known World
[book:Little Chapel on the River A Pub, a Town and the Search for What M..."


Not sure about Little Chapel. but the others all fit.


message 44: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Diane wrote: "Kate wrote: "Would any of these work for the second part of the task?

The Opposite of Love
The Known World
[book:Little Chapel on the River A Pub, a Town and the Sear..."


Awesome! I'm going to use Love Walked In for your task (along with The Five Love Languages for Children) and use something else for the 3 word title. Thank you!




message 45: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 65 comments Would Your First Year As a High School Teacher Making the Transition from Total Novice to Successful Professional count as self-help? I'm looking to read it to help me improve my pedagogy and teaching skills.


message 46: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments April wrote: "Would Your First Year As a High School Teacher Making the Transition from Total Novice to Successful Professional count as self-help? I'm looking to read it to help me improve my ped..."

Perfect!


message 47: by Sera (new)

Sera Diane, would A Long Way Gone Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishamael Beah work for the 2nd part of the task? It's about a boy soldier in Africa who seeks to change his life after he his adopted by an American.

Thanks much!


message 48: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments Love this! I won The Inner Game of Stress Outsmart Life's Challenges and Fulfill Your Potential from a GR giveaway recently and really need to review it. Thanks for helping me fit it into the challenge!


message 49: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Diane, you approved how-to books earlier. I've been reading this book to help me get a handle on organizing our new vacation home (we close soon, yay!). I know it is getting a bit far afield, will it do?? The Second Home Book The Can-Do, How-to, Get-Through Guide


message 50: by Sera (new)

Sera One more, Diane - would it be all right to use a parenting book for the first part of the task?

Thanks much.


« previous 1 3
back to top