Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Movies, DVDs, and Theater > Movies with beautiful scenery and panoramic shots?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Aug 29, 2009 10:50AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments What movies do you remember as having beautiful scenery and panoramic shots? They're such a pleasure!

Please try to describe the scenery in the movie you mention, e.g., location, type, etc. For example, in "The Sound of Music" the scenery is of mountains and greenery.

message 2: by Dottie (last edited Aug 29, 2009 07:24PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) Joy -- this topic caught my eye! Wow, this could be a LONG thread, I think. There are so many films which fill those parameters.

Doctor Zhivago - Russia
Ryan's Daughter - Ireland
Dances with Wolves - the mountains and plains of the USA
The Secret of Roan Innish - Ireland again

Those are just off the top of my head -- but of course, they are all older films, too, so I'm hoping that will not disqualify them.

Now -- these films may NOT have been filmed in those places but they represent those locales ;)

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Aug 29, 2009 10:47AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Dottie wrote: "Joy -- this topic caught my eye! Wow, this could be a LONG thread, I think. There are so many films which fill those parameters.
Doctor Zhivago
Ryan's Daughter
Dances with Wolves
The Secret..."

Hi Dottie! Thanks for the list. Older films are fine. I'm still catching up with them via my Netflix subscriptions. Over the years, I've missed so many good films because I hardly ever go to the movies. Now that we have a larger HD flat screen, the scenery will be enjoyed, even though it's not on the big screen of a theater.

Can you be more specific about what and where the scenery is, in the films you listed?

message 4: by Jackie (last edited Aug 29, 2009 11:09PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. All of it was filmed in New Zealand and it was spectacularly beautiful. Forests, mountains, rivers, meadows, plains, incredibly diverse and completely fit the descriptions in the book.

I'll need time to think of some more, it's 2 AM and I'm getting a little loopy, LOL

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6329 comments I agree with Jackie, the LOTR was fantastic for the scenery.

message 6: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Aug 30, 2009 09:47AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jim wrote: "I agree with Jackie, the LOTR was fantastic for the scenery."

Maybe I'll try watching LOTR. I'm not even sure if I saw it. I tried the book but lost interest because it seemed to be just one episode after another in which the characters are escaping from one danger after another. At first it was fascinating and then it got old. Too many characters for one thing... and their names were too strange.

PS-Is it worth choosing the "extended editions" of the movies, or are the shorter editions better for someone like I am?
Below are the listings at Netflix: ====>
http://www.netflix.com/Search?v1=The%...

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Tough call on which version. Keep in mind that the extended versions are 3 1/2 to 4 hours long, each.
OK, I'm going to say, for you Joy, the shorter versions. You may get annoyed with the length. The first one is lighter but the 2nd and 3rd are increasingly darker. Watch the first one, for sure, and see if you're drawn into the story or not.

The book was difficult, very long and drawn out, even for me. I generally like this type of book but there were time when I thought Oh Come On, just get to it already! You may want to try The Hobbit, the precursor to LOTR, there's a new adventure in each chapter but it moves much more quickly. AND it's finally being made into a movie, YAY, such a long wait it's been.

message 8: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie wrote: "Tough call on which version. Keep in mind that the extended versions are 3 1/2 to 4 hours long, each.
OK, I'm going to say, for you Joy, the shorter versions. You may get annoyed with the length..."

Thanks for the advice, Jackie. I'll go for the shorter version of the first LOTR movie.

I did read Tolkien's book, _The Hobbit Or There and Back Again_, and enjoyed it thorougly. It was much different in style than LOTR, much lighter and easier to read. I'm glad to hear that you too found LOTR "long and drawn out".

Glad to hear the The Hobbit is coming out as a movie. Yes, it's about time. :)

message 9: by Jackie (last edited Aug 30, 2009 12:39PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments The Hobbit is unique in the Middle Earth sagas in that it is fast paced and an easy read. I've read all the Middle Earth related books and while some are short, they still have that drawn out feel to them.
Maybe because it's so epic, and goes back so far into the elves and Dwarves history that it seems drawn out.

Peter Jackson, director-extraordinaire of LOTR, wanted to do The Hobbit first but there were rights issues and disputes among Tolkien's family so it was held up in court for a very long time, I think 10 years or more. Well, I guess it's all settled because there's big buzz on The Hobbit. Unfortunately Jackson isn't going to direct it, that's what Eric told me. I'll look into it eventually, just not in a rush right now. It would be fitting for Jackson to direct it, so I'll be disappointed. He stayed true to the book and his vision was incredibly detailed and imaginatve.

message 10: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Aug 30, 2009 12:50PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie, I had no idea about any of that info regarding the upcoming Hobbit movie.
I checked IMDb at: ====>
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/
It says: "It has been announced by Guillermo del Toro (the Director) that shooting for this film will not start until 2010."

message 11: by Jackie (last edited Aug 30, 2009 11:51PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments That means we won't see it until late 2011 or more likely 2012. I have to put it out of my mind or I'll go crazy with anticipation, LOL
I hope the new Director does a really good job. He has to know he'll be compared to Jackson and that's going to be hard to live up to. It's rare for a movie to be just as good as the book and Jackson accomplished that with LOTR. The casting was perfection and you all know how I whine about casting. The music was perfect too. He even used exact dialogue from the book, it was impressive to say the least. He created the Shire over a year in advance of the filming. Wait until you see it Joy, that was no set, it was real landscaping, houses built into hills and grass grown over it. It was truly amazing. It holds my all time #1 movie spot and I doubt it'll even be dethroned.
Seems like I have do another LOTR marathon real soon, before the Fall TV Season starts.

message 12: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Aug 31, 2009 10:25AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie wrote: "That means we won't see it until late 2011 or more likely 2012. I have to put it out of my mind or I'll go crazy with anticipation, LOL
I hope the new Director does a really good job. ...
...LOTR ... Wait until you see it Joy"

I have LOTR on my Netflix queue. I just watched the preview at: ====>
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The_Lord...

When I read LOTR (read it only partially), I imagined Frodo Baggins as a gnome-like creature. It will take me a while to accept him as Elijah Wood. :) It was THE HOBBIT which set the gnome idea into my mind. I became rather attached to the little guys.

message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Wait til you see how they did it, you'll be impressed. And Sean Astin as Samwise Gamgee, OMG, he IS Samwise Gamgee. I don't think I can ever look at Elijah and Sean as anything BUT Frodo and Sam now, LOL

message 14: by Arun (new)

Arun S | 1 comments U d try Braveheart , Amelie , Gladiator , Bladerunner.

message 15: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Arun wrote: "U d try Braveheart , Amelie , Gladiator , Bladerunner."

Hi Arun. Welcome to the group!

Thanks for the suggestions. Below are links to the descriptions of the movies you suggested:

Braveheart (1995):
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Bravehea...

Amelie - Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain(2001):
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Amelie/6...

Gladiator (2000):
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Gladiato...

Blade Runner (1982)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083658/p...
http://www.netflix.com/Search?oq=&...

I think I've seen Amelie, but can't remember anything about it. Haven't seen the others yet.

message 16: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Braveheart and Gladiator were excellent films. I watch them every couple of years.
Braveheart did have beautiful scenery. But I only remember Gladiator having one beautiful scene (the fields of his home).

'This is my Father' starring James Caan and Aidan Quinn had beautiful scenery of Ireland. And a really good movie too.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120865/
Always eager to see more of Ireland, I will watch any movie that has scenes filmed in Ireland.

'P S I Love You' had some beautiful scenery shots in Ireland.

And now we have 'Avatar'. While it's CGI and not live scenery, it is no less stunningly beautiful.

message 17: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie wrote: "Braveheart and Gladiator were excellent films. I watch them every couple of years. Braveheart did have beautiful scenery. ... 'This is my Father' starring James Caan and Aidan Quinn had beautiful scenery of Ireland. And a really good movie too."

Thanks for the comments, Jackie. I watched the preview of "This is My Father" at IMDb (thanks for the link). Looks like an excellent story. I put it on my Netflix queue, but the availability of the DVD is "unknown". :-(
"This Is My Father" (1999):
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/This_Is_...

I hesitate to watch Braveheart and Gladiator because I don't enjoy fight/action scenes.

"P S I Love You" is the movie you, Linda, and I watched together. I refreshed my memory of it by watching the trailer at IMDb. Those trailers/previews are good for people like me who can't remember much. LOL
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0431308/
Yes, it had beautiful scenery of Ireland and was an enjoyable movie.

message 18: by Jackie (last edited Jan 08, 2010 08:51AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Braveheart and Gladiator are really good stories. There's fighting but it's done well, not overly much. In both, the story is the movie, not the fight scenes like so many of today's movies where fighting and action is the story.

This is my Father was really good, I think you'll like it. I saw it on TV, maybe on Lifetime Movie Channel. I read the info on the guide and all I had to see was 'set in Ireland'. It was a good, if somewhat sad, love story.
I wonder what Netflix means by 'unknown'?

message 19: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie wrote: "... I wonder what Netflix means by 'unknown'? "

Good question. I called Netflix and asked. I was told that it means one of two things: either the movie hasn't been made into a DVD yet OR the powers-that-be aren't allowing the DVDs to be rented out to the public yet.

message 20: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Oh that's too bad! It's definitely out on DVD: http://www.amazon.com/This-My-Father-...

If I see it on the Channel Guide, I'll call you so you can DVR it.

message 21: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie, I don't record. It's too much trouble for me. I know I'm behind the times. My 70 year old sister got a TiVo-DVR for Christmas, but her daughter sets things up for her. Actually, I don't watch that many TV series to make it worthwhile for me. I'm more of a spontaneous TV viewer. Thanks anyway for the offer of help. If you see "This Is My Father" coming on TV, you might let me know. Perhaps I could watch the movie straight from the TV.

message 22: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments That too. I hope I see it on the Guide one of these days because I'd like to see it again. I wonder if the library has it.

message 23: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 09, 2010 10:00AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I checked. Our local library doesn't have the "This Is My Father" DVD. Other libraries in the system do have it, but reserve-requests aren't accepted.

BTW, our library's DVD's are allowed out for only one week. No renewals. I ended up paying $5.00 overdue fines for the ones I took out during the holidays for my grands. Things were too hectic for me to keep track of the due dates. So now I'm appreciating Netflix even more than before. No overdue fines! I can keep a Netflix DVD as long as I want, as long as I keep paying the flat monthly contract fee.

message 24: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I'm good about returning movies.
I wonder why the other libraries won't accept reserve requests. It's not a movie that would be popular and in high demand.

message 25: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I'll ask about the "reserve-request" policies next time I'm at the library.

BTW, fines for overdue books at our library have gone up from 5 cents per day to 25 cents per day!

The overdue fine for DVDs is one dollar per day!

message 26: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Wow, that's a lot.

message 27: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 09, 2010 09:59AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I called the Crandall Library. They explained that the policy on allowing reserve-requests on books (and other materials) depends on the preferences of each individual library in the system.

They said that no library allows reserves on DVDs.

As for the raise in overdue-book-fines, I wonder if circulation will go down because of them. People can't afford such fines, especially those who can't get to the library regularly.

message 28: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I can understand the late fees, after all they are letting us borrow for free.
OK, no reserved DVDs but what about interlibrary loan so it'll come to Crandall Library for you.

message 29: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 09, 2010 10:05AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments It's not entirely free. We do pay taxes.
But you have a point there, Jackie.

As I understand it, interlibrary loans start with reserve-requests. You can't have one without the other.

message 30: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Yeah, that's where I'm confused, is it 'reserved' or 'ordered'?

Sure we pay taxes but think of the roads and bridges, we pay the taxes for building and repairing them and are expected to pay a toll each time we use it.

message 31: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 09, 2010 10:44AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie wrote: "Yeah, that's where I'm confused, is it 'reserved' or 'ordered'? ..."

I dunno. I wouldn't know how to "order". I only know how to reserve online or in person. I've never heard of "ordering" a book or a DVD at the library. I simply find the book in the online catalog and click on "Place request". They notify me when the book is in. Then I go to the library and my book is on the reserve shelf waiting for me.

Gee, if they start charging "tolls" at the library, I'll have to start reading the freebies online. LOL

Maybe I'll read only the free "first chapters". LOL

message 32: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Place request, order, reserve, it's all the same to me.

message 33: by Daniel (last edited Aug 23, 2012 02:16PM) (new)

Daniel | 1 comments I like this topic, thanks. That last Pirates of the Carribbean, though a mediocre movie at best (the one with the mermaids - forget the name - 4th one I think), had some great scenery which that made it worth watching. I agree with Dances with Wolves, Sound of Music, and Lord of the Rings. I'll throw in: Quigley Down Under, Always (1989), Rob Roy, Legends of the Fall, Continental Divide (1981), War Horse, Open Range, Defiance (2008), Cliffhanger, Bucket List, A River Runs Through It, Cast Away (2000), Lord of the Flies (in fact most all of your "stranded on an island" movies), Tears of the Sun, Alive, The Thin Red Line, Last of the Mohicans, Blood Diamond, Braveheart, Indiana Jones & Kingdom of Crystal Skull, Jurassic Park (x3), Red Dawn, Apocalypse Now, Butch Cassidy & Sundance Kid, Red Riding Hood (2011), Saving Private Ryan, True Grit (2010), Glory, Master & Commander, Cold Mountain, and last but not least that I can think of, Avatar (even if synthetic fantasy scenery)! As you might guess, I'm a sucker for North America's Rocky Mountains & West. But also English and Irish countryside, Hawaii, and German/Russian/Polish forests. Lots of war movies and Westerns with nice cinematography. I'm sure there are much better ones because I haven't seen many movies. Please keep this going... :)

message 34: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Daniel, I just found your post.
Thanks for contributing!

message 35: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Aug 24, 2012 12:00PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Oh! And welcome to the group! :)

Please feel free to add more comments or start new topics!

message 36: by Ashraf (new)

Ashraf Abbas | 6 comments 'A walk in the clouds' is among the most beautiful films i have ever seen. Others include 'spring, summer, fall, winter', 'Departures (Okuribito)', 'A river runs through it'&'Avatar'...

message 37: by Nina (new)

Nina | 6069 comments "A Walk in the Clouds" is one of my favorite movies; I have seen it twice. Daniel, I haven't seen all of the movies you listed but a good portion and I agree; all very good.

message 38: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 27, 2013 10:16PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Ashraf wrote: "'A walk in the clouds' is among the most beautiful films i have ever seen. Others include 'spring, summer, fall, winter', 'Departures (Okuribito)', 'A river runs through it'&'Avatar'..."

Ashraf, thanks for your recommendations. I will try to see "A Walk in the Clouds". I see that Nina liked it too.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114887/?...
http://dvd.netflix.com/Search?v1=A%20...

PS-I see that "Departures" is streamable from Netflix. I added it to my queue. Thank you for telling us about it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1069238/?...
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/701...

message 39: by Nina (last edited Jan 27, 2013 11:03AM) (new)

Nina | 6069 comments "Enchanted April," filmed in the lake district of Northern Italy and one of my most favorite movies of all time. Gorgeous scenery/

message 40: by Arnie (last edited Jan 27, 2013 02:15PM) (new)

Arnie Harris | 185 comments Don't mean to be contrary, Nina, but I found "A Walk in the Clouds" sappy and corny, not to mention another painful performance by the well nigh worst actor in Hollywood, Reeves.

message 41: by Nina (new)

Nina | 6069 comments That's what good about our group. We get to express our opinions wether we agree or disagree. Am I right thinking this is the movie set in the Napa valley wine country?

message 42: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Yes, Nina, most of it was filmed in Napa, beautiful country. I agree, Nina, it doesn't matter if we like or dislike a movie/book or any opinion, what's important is that we get to have our say, and we treat each other with respect. This is a lovely group for that very reason, one of my favorites and it's what keeps me coming back.

message 43: by Jackie (last edited Jan 27, 2013 09:18PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I've seen A Walk in the Clouds, don't remember much but I don't remember disliking it.
I haven't seen Enchanted April, so that's added to my ever growing List because it sounds like something I would like. TY for the recommendation.

message 44: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I enjoyed "Enchanted April". A wonderful story and great scenery.

message 45: by Ashraf (new)

Ashraf Abbas | 6 comments Joy; happy viewing 'Departures'...

Nina; thank you for the recommendation, already added it to my Torrent list...

Arnie; my friends also told me the same, about Reeves... but I feel he did a good job in that movie...

i wud highly recommend Kim Ki Duk's 'Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring' to all...

message 46: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 27, 2013 10:20PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Thank you, Ashraf.

Here are links to:
"Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring" (2003)
=======================================
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374546/?...
"This film takes place in an isolated lake, where an old monk lives on a small floating temple. The wise master has also a young boy with him that teaches to become a monk. And we watch as seasons and years pass by."

http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Spring-S...
Language: Korean [ARE THERE SUBTITLES?]
This movie is: Violent, Understated
"Under the vigilant eyes of Old Monk (Yeong-su Oh), Child Monk (Jong-ho Kim) learns a hard lesson about the nature of sorrow when his childish games turn cruel in a story that's divided into five segments, with each season representing a stage in a man's life. This exquisitely filmed drama directed by Ki-duk Kim is entirely set on and around a tree-lined lake, where a tiny Buddhist monastery floats on a raft amidst a breathtaking landscape."
================================================
Now I'm curious. :) I've put it in my Netflix DVD queue.

message 47: by Werner (last edited Jan 29, 2013 10:32AM) (new)

Werner Beautiful, panoramic scenery is one thing I remember being struck with in the movie The Journey of Natty Gann (www.imdb.com/title/tt0089385/ ). The movie as a whole has its pluses and its minuses (more of the former than the latter, though, IMO; the opening scene may be off-putting, but it gets better), but the scenery was definitely a plus. Natty's journey takes her from 1930s Chicago to Montana (I think --anyway, the Rockies!), so you'd like that part, Daniel. (She also makes friends with a wolf, so that part would be right up your alley, Jackie!)

message 48: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments That would be interesting for me!

message 49: by Nina (new)

Nina | 6069 comments More weather comments; Yesterday my daughter said, "I must be on vacation; this can't be 76 degree day in KS." Today back to reality: raining now but cooler tonight and one to three inches of snow. We aren't complaining; we are twenty inches below in moisture.

message 50: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Ashraf had recommended "Departures" (2008). I streamed it today from Netflix.
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/701...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1069238/?...
"A newly unemployed cellist takes a job preparing the dead for funerals."

It was a beautiful movie: some beautiful scenery, a poignant presentation of storyline, and an uplifting attitude about a painful topic. The deep respect for the deceased during funeral ceremonies was impressive.

The moving performances and the touching faces of the elderly added to the overall excellence of the film.

2009 Academy Awards winner: Best Foreign Language Film
Language: Japanese (with English subtitles)

BTW, watching a foreign film with English subtitles is surprisingly effective. At least you get subtitles which you don't get on some hard-to-understand British movies.

« previous 1