Book of the month club discussion

Book Suggestions > Book Lists for 2010

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Blarneygod (new)

Blarneygod Please post the 9 books that you would like to read next year. Please only post once, but feel free to come back and edit that post as much as you would like before the last day in October. Please try to keep lists to only 9 books. Thank You!

message 2: by Blarneygod (last edited Oct 31, 2009 10:54AM) (new)

Blarneygod Blarneygod's votes:
1. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Betty Smith
2. Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
3. Dracula by Bram Stoker
4. The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde
5. Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
6. Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne
7. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
8. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
9. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to read the nine you have posted I have read romeo and juliet 3 times for school and fun and most of Charles Dickens. I would like to read a Christmas Carol as a group for December because well... Christmas is in December and it is a really neat story. I have never gotten the opportunity to talk with people about it because they watch the movie instead of reading the book. I love the children lit you have chosen.

message 4: by Blarneygod (last edited Sep 24, 2009 01:05PM) (new)

Blarneygod Hey everyone, Don't forget to post your lists this month (October). These are the lists voting what you want to read next year. If anyone has suggestions on how we can do this voting in a more efficient manner, please let us know asap! thanks!

message 5: by Blarneygod (new)

Blarneygod Amanda wrote: "I would like to read the nine you have posted I have read romeo and juliet 3 times for school and fun and most of Charles Dickens. I would like to read a Christmas Carol as a group for December bec..."

Amanda can you please write out your 9 votes in list form when you are ready? My list is still constantly changing. Thank you!!!!!!!!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Tarzan...I didn't know there was more than one
The Picture of Dorian Gray
The Chronicles of Narnia
Journey to the Center of the Earth
The Jungle Book
Don Quixote
Treasure Island
Black Beauty
A Christmas Carol

message 7: by Nica (last edited Oct 29, 2009 08:38AM) (new)

Nica (nicajen) | 14 comments Mod
1. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
2. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
3. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
4. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
5. Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne
6. Dracula by Bram Stoker
7. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
8. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
9. Great Expectations -AND- A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

message 8: by Blarneygod (new)

Blarneygod I think that for any book that is about 1000 pages or more (such as Don Quixote or Vanity Fair) should count for two months. What do you all think?

message 9: by Blarneygod (new)

Blarneygod Fountainhead is about 700 pages. If this gets voted, do you want it to count for one month or two?

message 10: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) Here are my 9, a lot of these have just been sitting on my bookshelf FOREVER.

1. Dracula, Bram Stoker
2. Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
3. Roots, Alex Haley
4. Little House on the Prairie Series, Laura Ingalls Wilder
5. Atonement, Ian McEwan
6. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Betty Smith (read this in high school would like to read it again)
7. The Great Expectations, Charles Dickens
8. How Stella Got Her Groove Back, Terry McMillan
9. Blonde, Joyce Carol Oats

message 11: by Blarneygod (new)

Blarneygod What do you guys think about combining Great Expectations and A Christmas carol if either gets voted? Great Expectations is long at about 500 pages but A Christmas Carol is only 70. Am I being overly ambitious again? Please let me know what you think!

message 12: by Nica (new)

Nica (nicajen) | 14 comments Mod
Blarneygod wrote: "I think that for any book that is about 1000 pages or more (such as Don Quixote or Vanity Fair) should count for two months. What do you all think?"

Agreed.

Blarneygod wrote: "Fountainhead is about 700 pages. If this gets voted, do you want it to count for one month or two?"

Two months (or one and a half) works for me.

Blarneygod wrote: "What do you guys think about combining Great Expectations and A Christmas carol if either gets voted? Great Expectations is long at about 500 pages but A Christmas Carol is only 70. Am I being overly ambitious again? Please let me know what you think!"

Sounds good to me.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I think all of those ideas are a great way to solve the time crunch or short book issue. Good thinking!

message 14: by Blarneygod (new)

Blarneygod Hey Everyone! The deadline for 2010 lists is less than two weeks away!!! The deadline is October 31!!!

message 15: by Blarneygod (last edited Oct 31, 2009 11:21AM) (new)

Blarneygod Our Winners are:
1.The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
2.The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
3.Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne
4.Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
5.Great Expectations -AND- A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
6.Dracula by Bram Stoker
7.Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
8.A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
9.Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
10.Black Beauty by Anna Sewell