Books on the Nightstand discussion

General chat > Toni Morrison has passed.

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 821 comments Sad to see that Toni Morrison passed on Monday in NYC. Morrison is the award winning author of several books most notably BELOVED. Morrison was the first African American woman to win the Noble Prize for Literature. She will be greatly missed.

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2827 comments Mod
That she will, Gerald. That she will.

Maybe we should have a Toni Morrison read-a-long in her memory.

Thoughts?

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen | 293 comments Linda that sounds like a great way to honor her memory. Count me in if you do have a read-a-long.

message 4: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 821 comments I have one book by her , THE SONG OF SOLOMON. I will read that soon.

message 5: by Linda (new)

I don't know that I have anything by her, but I might. Karen, do you want to join Gerald with reading Song of Solomon?

Anybody else? We could wait until the beginning of September. Or later if others would like.

message 6: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobus) | 254 comments Linda wrote: "I don't know that I have anything by her, but I might. Karen, do you want to join Gerald with reading Song of Solomon?

Anybody else? We could wait until the beginning of September. Or..."

I'm in for a read-along Linda. Song of Solomon is a good start.

message 7: by Linda (new)

What if we say to start by September 1. Is two weeks enough time, Robin, Karen, Gerald. We can discuss by September 15.

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobus) | 254 comments September 1 sounds good.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Robin wrote: "September 1 sounds good."

: > )

I post on Facebook, too, to see if we can get a few more to join us.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobus) | 254 comments You are fabulous Linda Johnson.

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris Wolak (chriswolak) | 22 comments Count me in! I just picked up a copy of Song of Solomon yesterday.

message 12: by Linda (new)

Robin wrote: "You are fabulous Linda Johnson."

You must be looking in the mirror, Robin or your glasses (that I've never seen you wear) need adjustment.

message 13: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 821 comments I have no problem with Sept 1

message 14: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 366 comments I’m in. I haven’t read (finished) any of her works so I’ll start here.

message 15: by Jan (new)

Jan I appreciate the Sept. 1 start. I'm in! Thank you.

message 16: by Tina (new)

Tina (godmotherx5) | 92 comments I’ve only read The Bluest Eye. I’ll join the group in September.

message 17: by Linda (new)

We've got about 12 people who plan to read this. I'm impressed.

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen Brown (khbrown) | 99 comments I’d love to join in. I started reading Beloved after hearing the sad news.

message 19: by Linda (new)

Great, Karen!

message 20: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katsikes) | 171 comments This is a great idea. We read her first four books in high school - I've loved her ever since and anyways meant to reread them. I will join in with a caveat - I'm in the midst of moving and traveling (driving) a lot for a new job, so I haven't found as much time lately for reading. So I will try, but no guarantees I'll get through it :)

message 21: by Karen (new)

Karen | 293 comments I'm in too! What a great idea!

message 22: by Vera (new)

Vera (vvrcpa) | 68 comments Me too!

message 23: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 366 comments Ok,,now I’m out. I guess I will never be a Toni Morrison reader! But it’s all good. I have plenty other works to keep me busy.

message 24: by Tina (new)

Tina (godmotherx5) | 92 comments Victoria wrote: "Ok,,now I’m out. I guess I will never be a Toni Morrison reader! But it’s all good. I have plenty other works to keep me busy."

You're absolutely right: it's all good.

message 25: by Robin (new)

Robin (mcrobus) | 254 comments Still reading. Got a late start. Taking my time to enjoy the language. Planning to read all her work in the next year. Still mourning her passing.