Twilight (The Twilight Saga, #1) Twilight discussion

Did this book blow you away?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ciara/ (new)

Ciara/ Did this book blow you away or did you think that the book would be how it was in the first place.
That book blew me away.
Be sure to check out the second book "New Moon"!

Annie No this book did not "blow me away" honestly, I kinda of wish I could go back in time and stop myself from reading this series.

Annie And yes, it was so predictable I nearly stopped reading it. But Alice was the re-deeming factor in this series for me, she was by far the best female character in the whole series!

Syahira lol... well.. my first vampire book was actually Christopher Pike's last vampire, then Christine Feehan and later I upgraded to Anne Rice and etc.

No, this book is very average. I only read the book after I watch the movie.

Faye Meredith I found it quite addictive and I still do. I still can't put my finger on what it is, but it does take hold of some people, and others it leaves cold. I guess it's like Marmite - you either love it (as I do) or hate it

C.D. Hussey I can see how people new to the vampire genre would be blown away by this series. But most people I know that regularly read in the vampire romance genre are meh about it.

It was a nice little bit of brain candy, but did it blow me away? Nope.

Faye Meredith True. But I've been a vamp fan for ages, with Anne Rice and I am Legend etc, Salem's Lot and all, but it still gave me something different

Bookaholic AT first it did, but now after reading other books, no, not really :/

Karian I read it when i first started really getting into reading, so when i read it I liked it, but looking back... it wasn't that great. Certainly didn't blow me away.

message 10: by C.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.D. Hussey Karian wrote: "I read it when i first started really getting into reading, so when i read it I liked it, but looking back... it wasn't that great. Certainly didn't blow me away."

I think that's what frustrates people so much about this series. I enjoyed these books, I really did. They were fun. SM does a great job pulling you into Bella's head. But there are lots of vampire books that are waaaay better and haven't received half the attention.

Becky I don't like vampire books. I really really hate vampire books, in general. But I liked this series. I find it funny how many people say that there are better vampire romances out there. As far as I know, there weren't any vampire romances on the market when Twilight came out. In fact, from what I've read, vampires were considered out of fashion and books about them weren't selling. Twilight sold because it's a compelling story that is fun to read. I understand the desire to dislike something just because it's popular, but I don't understand spending time bashing it. There are many popular books and series that didn't work for me. I don't enter into discussions about them. Why would I? Just to say, "I hated it, it sucked"? What a waste of time.

Kayla I've read the whole series at least three times. I'd never read anything like this until about seventh grade. I was drawn in by the way she could describe things in such detail. I enjoyed this book a lot. (:

Kayla Angela wrote: "not so much. only because stephine mayers writing is terrible. she starts out the book by telling readers that Bella's mom looks like her. that makes no sense watsoever. she says nothing about how ..."

Stephenie Meyer shouldn't be judged so harshly for one series. Her other book 'The Host' is quite good and contains no vampires at all. At least give it a chance.

message 14: by Syahira (last edited Jun 09, 2011 06:23PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Syahira not sure about having no vampire romance fiction prior to stephenie meyer.... it was like having no vampire romance since 2005. Seriously no one watch Buffy meh?

I was severely addicted to Christine Feehan's Carpanthian series since I was 14 (I'm 23 btw and yes I read smut in highschool.. shhh).. and she had like 22 vampire books since 1999. Now thats dedication. Same applies to Sherrilyn Kenyon.

One thing I'm glad about SM though.... she made me want to read other YA romances much better than hers. (I don't actually like YA novels before and thankfully, most of them was darkly tone for a teenage novel) And yes, I do think some fans of hers are very obsessive... I do remember some girls wants to cosplay bella with a splint and actually harm herself wanting the real thing. Don't worry, I'm not bashing Twilight... Supernatural did it for me with the Twilight episode --> Sam + Dean + kill sparkly vamp = FTW

Risa Ann I have to admit....IT DID!
I was a senior in high school when my mom told me to give this book a shot. I did not read much at the time and had no intrest in vampires as far as books go, but i cracked it open anyways....it started slow...but once i was in i was hooked! Call me simple minded or a sucker for romance but i absolutly fell in love with this book and could not put it down until i had finished every last word....and it was the same for the entire series.

If you get past all the movie hype and obsession and don't let that taint your views you really can get lost in Meyers story...you just have to let yourself and but the judgemnts aside. just because something becomes a pyhnomenon...does not make it less in quality. It's very good.

Missyb I would say No. It was okay, but the fourth was the best in my opinion. The series in whole was okay, but not outstanding. I think it was the writting style that would put you to sleep at times with all the filler, but I did like the size of each book. I like a large book, gives you more to sink your teethe into.

The Carpathian series was excellent.

Missyb Syahira wrote: "lol... well.. my first vampire book was actually Christopher Pike's last vampire, then Christine Feehan and later I upgraded to Anne Rice and etc.

No, this book is very average. I only read the bo..."

I really enjoyed the Carpathian series too. Try Lynsay Sands Argeneau series, Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark, Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series, or Kerrilyn Sparks Love at Stakes series. You may like them.