The Sword and Laser discussion

Scifi / Fantasy News > Peter V. Brett Calls Out DC Comics on Sexism

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments So Peter V. Brett got a hold of a new Justice League RPG which he intended to play with his daughter, who's a huge superhero fan. The only problem -- whoever designed the game didn't see fit to include any female characters.

No, not even Wonder Woman.

And he's not too happy about it:

Maybe statistically it’s more likely to be four boys playing, and they want to cater to that. But if so, it’s a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you market only to boys, don’t be surprised boys are your only market. And don’t be surprised if the boys with sisters and female friends end up playing something else entirely.

When comics and game designers exclude or otherwise diminish the role of female characters, they are really telling girls they are not welcome. That sure, they can play, but they can’t have full immersion. Full immersion is for boys only.

And fuck that.

I fixed this shitty game, but I shouldn’t have had to. We have a right to expect (and demand) that comics companies and the game designers they license to do better. Sure, it’s a free country and they have a right to make boys-only games if they want, but we don’t need to support it, or stay quiet about it.

message 2: by Aeryn98 (new)

Aeryn98 | 175 comments You know, he's absolutely right. It is great he is standing up for strong female role models. Yet, forgive me for finding it a bit ironic, since I remember I detested all his female characters in the Demon Cycle.

Just saying...

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments Aeryn98 wrote: "You know, he's absolutely right. It is great he is standing up for strong female role models. Yet, forgive me for finding it a bit ironic, since I remember I detested all his female characters in t..."

His male characters aren't all that great either IMO. Writing poor characters doesn't make him sexist or his opinion on the matter any less valid though.

message 4: by Aeryn98 (new)

Aeryn98 | 175 comments I never said he was sexist or his opinion wasn't valid. I just thought it was ironic.

message 5: by Ulmer Ian (new)

Ulmer Ian (eean) | 341 comments He's also a Sonja Red author. I think that makes it ironic, I've only heard of that comic since it was the subject of one of the SFWA's controversy.

message 6: by Viola (new)

Viola | 187 comments But he did have female characters in his books which is more than they had in the game.

message 7: by Roger (new)

Roger Aeryn98 wrote: "I never said he was sexist or his opinion wasn't valid. I just thought it was ironic."

I had a similar thought as well.

message 8: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6376 comments Ulmer Ian wrote: "He's also a Sonja Red author. I think that makes it ironic, I've only heard of that comic since it was the subject of one of the SFWA's controversy."

Gail Simone writes Red Sonja too. Is she sexist?

message 9: by Ulmer Ian (new)

Ulmer Ian (eean) | 341 comments Well I've already shared the only thing I know about Red Sonja (sorry for the transposition), that it caused a big uproar at SFWA when she was on the cover; it was enough to find this blog a bit ironic.

message 10: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 102 comments To my knowledge I haven't read any Peter V. Brett, so I can't comment on him being good or bad. But, for argument's sake, let's say he writes females horribly. That does not, in any way, make his thoughts ironic. He included female characters in a significant way and is asking DC to do the same. The quality to which he delivered on the female characters is irrelevant, all that matters is that the effort was there, because that's all he's asking now.

As far as his thoughts on the RPG goes, I agree 100%. And, no, I'm not a feminist. I also don't think we necessarily need to get to the point that males and females are represented 50/50. Comics has been a male market for many decades, so I fully understand why males are their main demographic.
But a LOT of girls/women are reading comics and watching comic based movies/shows nowadays. Why wouldn't you want them to feel invited to the party? again, don't fret about making it 50/50, but maybe throw in 1 female character for every 3 males? Or every 4? Or 5? It doesn't seem like it would be too hard.

Wonderwoman, Catwoman, Huntress, Black Canary, Zatanna, Batgirl, Supergirl. There's 7 off the top of my head that I(a male in his 20s) would consider playing as. I came up with 7 and I don't even read DC.

message 11: by Alan (new)

Alan | 534 comments I read the Warded Man and his female characters are no worse (and no less central) than his male characters. He was just better at writing the horror-tinged action scenes than he was at making characters come alive in quirky ways.

The quality of his work aside, he's dead right in this rant.