Up and Coming Authors discussion

Reader/Author Discussion > Do you normally buy indie books?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) For the readers of the forum: Is this your first time reading indie writers, or is it something you've done before?

For the writers: Did you buy indie books before you went indie? What was your opinion of them before? What is it now?

I wasn't too into indie books because everyone I wanted were WAY overpriced, then a favorite author of mine started publishing some free ebooks on Lulu and I got started buying a lot of them. I've never been opposed to the idea of indie books and have found some that have been better than professional ones. I have also found ones that would be better off as a joke...

message 2: by Sierra (new)

Sierra Rose (sierrarose) | 35 comments Until I published I wasn't really buying indie titles then while browsing Lulu's forum I saw a thread on this one author's book series and I'm weak for certain types and tried it out. There are a lot of wonderful sounding titles from indie authors like on Lulu but aside from some of the prices the S&H Lulu wants deters me most of the time, which is a shame.

Some previews I've read I would snatch up instantly if I could but then others even I have to cringe at them.

message 3: by Svetlana (last edited Sep 02, 2009 06:49AM) (new)

Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna I do. But most of the time the book has to be recommended as a source for my research by an author I am reading or by another reputable source. For an author I have no recommendation for three things come into play: a great book description accompanied by a large preview, reasonable pricing (I understand that indie books often cost a little more, but I see a digital downloads priced too high everyday) and I have to like the preview.

message 4: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna I am more likely to buy indie books from Amazon, because I would not pay lulu's ridiculous shipping charges.

message 5: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (sherylmarasi) | 150 comments Mod
Typically I check books out at the library, both for cost and because I really have no where to put the book once I'm done w/it. That said, most idie books are read through purchasing, so no I normally don't read indie. However, if something strikes me as good and there is an electronic download, I am more than happy to read it whether it be idie or mainstream. I'd say of all the indie stories I've read (many were from TriggerStreet.com), 50% were really good, which encourages me to continue reading indie, because there are good writers out there that are just overlooked by the large publishing agencies.

message 6: by G.H. (new)

G.H. Monroe (ghmonroe) | 28 comments Since I am now one of the droves of Indies out there, I am now sensitive to their plight and am always open to an indie. I try to make one out of every three an indie. It's so hard to get readers to give us a shot that I feel a bit of obligation to my "brothers and sisters in hope".