BOOK-A-HOLICS discussion

Group Books Under Discussion > Meet The Authors

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) | 473 comments Mod
I am working on Author interviews at this time.

message 2: by Robin (last edited Aug 30, 2009 11:10AM) (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 4 comments My husband's third book is coming out in less than a month he's done a ton on interviews - if you are looking for someone to interview I'm sure I could twist his arm - Check out this page to see some of the past interviews he's done:

http://darkwolfsfantasyreviews.blogsp...

http://bookbanter.podbean.com/2009/06...

Starting on page 72 of: http://strangeweirdandwonderful.brave...

Podcast (audio) at: http://www.storyinstitute.com/2009/04...

http://oldbatsbelfry.blogspot.com/200...

http://realitybypass.blog.com/2008/12... (December 05 posting)

http://renderosity.com/news.php?viewS...

You can also see some of the book reviews from his website here: http://www.michaelsullivan-author.com...

[image error]

message 3: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Robin wrote: "My husband's third book is coming out in less than a month he's done a ton on interviews - if you are looking for someone to interview I'm sure I could twist his arm - Check out this page to see so..."

We would be honored to interview him. Let's set up a time slot. Message me and not the room.
Thanks,
Wes

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth Hi Wes,
I'm a group member and mystery author and I'm game for an interview, preferably after Bouchercon (Oct 14-18), because I'm busy until after I appear there.
- Beth

message 5: by Rose (new)

Rose Chaulk | 11 comments Hi Wes,

message 6: by Rose (new)

Rose Chaulk | 11 comments Hi Wes.

Five free copies of Nissitissit Witch went out a while ago and I've yet to see a review so I am ready if you wish to have an intervierw. I was hoping because the book was free with the agreement that people post a review as soon as possible that I might have seen a review by now but once the books go out I have no control. December is rapidly approaching when I leave for Florida to start a new project at which point I am putting Nissitissit Witch on the back shelf for a while.

Rosemary Chaulk
www.rosemarychaulk.com

message 7: by Christina (new)

Christina | 26 comments Rose wrote: " Hi Wes.

Five free copies of Nissitissit Witch went out a while ago and I've yet to see a review so I am ready if you wish to have an intervierw. I was hoping because the book was free with the ..."

Hi Rosemary -- I've about half way through the book and love the intrique. It's not the kind of book I am used to reading, which makes it all the more enticing to me. We have had quite a bit happening in our household of late (illness and major surgeries), which has put a lot of my reading time on the back burner. But, I will keep to my word and post a review once I am finished with the book.

Blessings,
Christina

message 8: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catarinacanhota) | 52 comments Hi Rose,

I have received a copy of the book. I had to set it aside to do some reading to develop new curriculum for my English class. Your book is next in the pile and I will probably begin reading it withing the week. If all goes well, I should have a review posted in about a week. Don't despair of us just yet. Catherine

message 9: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Sep 07, 2009 10:45PM) (new)

Rose wrote: " Hi Wes.

Five free copies of Nissitissit Witch went out a while ago and I've yet to see a review so I am ready if you wish to have an intervierw. I was hoping because the book was free with the ..."

I am enjoying it now I should have a review real soon and I will do a youtube review when I finish. I took it to the mountains with me camping this past weekend.
:)
Stay tuned

message 10: by Gail (new)

Gail | 24 comments Catherine wrote: "Hi Rose,

I have received a copy of the book. I had to set it aside to do some reading to develop new curriculum for my English class. Your book is next in the pile and I will probably begin re..."

Same here, Rose and Catherine. Five preps and six classes - Spanish 3,4,5, AP Language and AP Literature make for a lot less reading time. Still working on it...also they took away about 27 hours per class per year and I am scrambling to still squeeze all the material I need to teach in those few minutes weekly. Hope to finish by the end of the month.

message 11: by Rose (new)

Rose Chaulk | 11 comments I will be patient but I know you will absolutely love the book so I will just wait for you to confirm that. Locally the book has about a 95% approval record and out of the 5 % which did not like it all of them but one did not like it because it was not something they like to read. One guy told me the story and the charecters depressed him and I should lighten it up and add some humor. But horror + humor = Scary Movie III or some other piece of crap like that.

So I will be patient Tick, Tick Tick, oh sorry I thought I was in the woods. Tick talk, Tick talk, yah that's it the sound of a clock.

message 12: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (danielt) | 7 comments Horror + humor can also = "Evil Dead II" or "Shaun of the Dead" or, since we're talking books, "John Dies at the End." It doesn't have to be crap.

message 13: by Gail (new)

Gail | 24 comments Finished Nissitissit Witch.You can see my review if you click on the book name

message 14: by Rose (new)

Rose Chaulk | 11 comments One review is in. It is the kind of stuff I want to hear. I’ll take it as a positive in the fact she found the storyline compelling and the message right on target. She was very distressed at the editing but I would rather be told I have a compelling story that needs editing than be told I have a well-written piece with uninteresting content. Nissitissit Witch was self-published so I could sell it to the local market. Six hundred people paid twenty dollars and one woman bought one for herself and five for her children because she hooked right in to the story line.
If I were to try and find a major publishing house I would do a major rewrite and would have to use one of their editors. In all fairness to my editors I put the first one through agony. I am not a trained writer and she edited the book a few chapters behind so she could educate me as we went. The amount of education my first editor gave me was the equivalent of several college courses and by the time I finished I was a much better writer and I got to learn on something I liked instead of boring classroom crap. Parts are a bit preachy and it may be awkward in a spot or two but hell it is the first book of an untrained writer who can’t spell and never got above a C in English. I spent a lot of time with my grandparents so when they said “Throw the horse over the fence some hay, eh.” I knew exactly what they meant as that was how I was taught to speak so I’m really trying. For personal reasons I wanted to be able to sell it before October of last year. Locally it was a success and well liked. The local legend of the witch will never die; my book and my name will be a permanent part of the legend from now on and for who knows how long. As time passes the legend will grow, some people investigating the witches will always come across the book and sometime in the future someone will be blown away that a woman way back then was connected enough to the environment to and tried to warn people about an impeding total pollution of the world that they now live in. We have successfully polluted almost all the surface water of the world including the oceans. We are now jamming nuclear waste in deep mines with fractures in the walls so that when the containers eventually leak the groundwaters will be polluted. Now our cars and pollution from industrial giants like China are poisoning our air. Meanwhile fifty years from now the environment will be of such concern nobody will care about Stella, will not know what being in the grove means, and will be asking what the hell is a car. As society grows humor will change, values will shift and the language will morph. Many best sellers today will fall into oblivion as the humor becomes dated and the story loses its relevance and people in the future see some of these books as being quaint and well liked at the time but amounted to being nothing more than mental masturbation to placate the masses.

So it’s all good. The other four who received books please have you review in soon. As you can see I am trying to learn and improve. In about 90 days I will be leaving for Florida to start a new book I have been researching since Nissitissit Witch. It’s a national hot topic so if I can craft it well enough I might get a similar response Nissitissit Witch that was phenomenal locally but this time is on a national level. I want my books to be correct but easy enough to be read by less advanced readers yet contain a message strong enough that many advanced readers will enjoy it also. Will Rogers was a common man who spoke and wrote in simple words, yet these words are more potent and quoted more than most past presidents of the country. That’s my goal. So let’s go folks tell me what you liked so I know what to expand on and feel a modicum of reward and gently in an educational way tell me what was wrong or what you did not like so I can improve. One of the hardest things in writing is knowing when to stop so…….