Writers Wrule discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Contests > Contest 1 (Aug. 28- Sept. 4) 2009 DONE

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Carter, We need to get this group going again (new)

Carter | 131 comments Mod
This is our first writing contest. Please do not use anything that has been posted on goodreads already. The word range for this contest is 500-2000. Every friday, a week after the contest began,(or saturday at the latest) I will anounce the winner and start a new contest. Anyone in this group can write a story and vote. Please don't be selfish and vote for yourself. If you feel like yours is TRULY the best, just don't vote at all. I am so excited for our FIRST contest!!!!!

The topic is rose.

Use the word, have it be about that word, or use it another way you can think of. If you do not use it, you will be desqualified. If you don't have an idea, just don't enter. If you like your story, then you can post it on goodreads AFTER the contest. Do not post you story into the critique folder before the contest or it is not allowed. Good Luck! Remember to VOTE!!!

Carter =)=D i am so excited!!!

message 2: by Carter, We need to get this group going again (new)

Poetry is NOT allowed. This is a short story contest! Thanks!

message 3: by Amelia (last edited Aug 29, 2009 11:22AM) (new)

Amelia Mapstone | 55 comments Alright...I am getting started! :)

message 4: by Carter, We need to get this group going again (new)

Yay me too.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

where do u post the story then?

message 6: by Carter, We need to get this group going again (new)

You post the story here.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

like the link? or just on this page here?

message 8: by Carter, We need to get this group going again (new)

Just paste it. It shouldn't have a link because it shouldn't have been posted on goodreads yet

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

right okay i didnt write it yet i was just wondering.
so ill just post it on here when i finish?

message 10: by Carter, We need to get this group going again (new)

Yes

message 11: by Maryam. (new)

Maryam. | 70 comments So the topic is rose right??
And the story can be about ANYTHING....even if it just has to word Rose?

message 12: by Carter, We need to get this group going again (new)

Yes

message 13: by Maryam. (new)

Maryam. | 70 comments Hmm..Okay!:D

message 14: by Carter, We need to get this group going again (new)

But use the flower not like he rose from his seat or Anthony

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Wait-im stull confused!!! Do u write it on goodreads and give a link or just write it out here???

message 16: by Carter, We need to get this group going again (new)

You do NOT give a link. It should NOT be posted on goodreads yet. The first place it should be is cooties and pasted right here

message 17: by Carter, We need to get this group going again (new)

I'll let lily's go cause I wasn't clear and it's my fault but next time no poems and no links. Just post the story here

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

So it shud b like that ^^^? okay cool!

message 19: by Carter, We need to get this group going again (new)

Yep

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

What a lovely day for a funeral.

There were so many beautiful colors. The sun shone golden, the sky a brilliant blue, the gorgeous green of waving grass, and then the flowers. So many beautiful flowers. All of the colors seemed to be made to be put on a canvas. But then again, it was easier to look at anything but the mahogany of the casket in front of me.

The black of mourning and the silver of salty tears on the freshly dug grave didn't seem to fit. It was like it was added as an afterthought, a feeble attempt at respect, but instead it had desecrated the scene in an awful, irreversible way.

We all played the part very well. The heartbroken husband, the distraught daughter, the somber friends and other family.

Except I didn't cry. Not a single tear.

Everyone looked at me the same way. Eyebrows creased, sympathetic eyes, melancholy expressions. "Poor thing," they would say. And they would apologize over and over again for something they had nothing to do with. It didn't make sense.

But I knew that no matter how many condolences they offered, they were all secretly thinking the same thing. "Thank God it wasn't me,".

Nobody said it to my face. But I knew it ran through everyone's mind at one point or another.
None of it had seemed real to me. The whole week had passed in a numb shock up to the funeral day. Not the funeral itself, but the afternoon that followed.

I went walking around in the backyard. I couldn't bear seeing anybody. Even my own face in the mirror was a nuisance. I liked solitude. Trees couldn't say they felt for me. Grass couldn't say it was sorry.

I kicked off my tights and sat down in the grass, in front of the rose bushes. She loved roses, but they would never grow. The bugs always seemed to get to them, or it was too hot or too much rain. "Oh, well. There's always next year.", she would say.

"There's always next year," I thought to myself, looking at the bare bushes. But there was no next year.

Suddenly I couldn't bear to look at the rose bushes she loved so much. Because I knew she couldn't love them anymore. She couldn't love anything. She was gone.

I wanted to run. I had to leave. My brand new driver's license felt heavy in the pocket of my skirt. But the victory of the day had been quickly overshadowed by a garage that had stayed vacant too long and a cell phone that went repeatedly to the answering machine.

But no matter how much I pushed, my legs wouldn't move. I sat down and held my head in my hands. Then I saw it.

The tiniest pink in the way back of the bush, hidden by weeds. The lone rose.

I leaped to my feet instinctively, eager to run inside and tell her. But then I remembered with that sharp, heart wrenching pain. Then it finally hit me.

She was gone.

Hit by a drunk driver going 73 mph on a 35 mph intersection. The man had ran a red light and hit her on the left side of the Suburban on her way home from the grocery store. Her neck snapped right away. It was quick and virtually painless. She was pronounced dead on arrival. The other driver broke four ribs and his left arm, but would be fine. It wasn't fair. Just broken bones, and my mother dead?

I stood and cupped the tiny flower in my hands as the tears finally came. One slid off my cheek into the folds of the pink petals, where it seemed to drink in my salty tear.

Looking at the tiny flower, I realized something. This little flower had overcome so much to survive.

And not just survive, but grow, and blossom.

I wiped my eyes and got to my feet. "Thank you," I whispered. I smoothed my dress and walked inside head held high.

If one small rose could still be beautiful despite everything nature threw at it, so could I.

In a way, I was just a little rose. And I was ready to bloom again.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

711 words! i hope i did this right!

message 22: by Acacia (last edited Aug 30, 2009 02:26PM) (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) You did this very right, Catherine. That was so good!!!!!!!!!!!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

great! thanks! ive never done one before so i was a little confused but i did my best!

message 24: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) Your best is amazing. :D

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

thanks so much! carter said she would put a poll up later or something is that where u vote?

message 26: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Mapstone | 55 comments Just so you know, I am going to get my entry in tomorrow.
Thanks! Love this group!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

okay that will make 3 entries! so fun ive never done one b4 im so excited!

message 28: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) I want to write one, but I'll have to do that later.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

it was easy i just sat down for like half an hour, my parents r in europe so nobody bugged me!

message 30: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) Haha. My parents are in the kitchen, 8 feet away from me. :P

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

oh ya my grandma and her sister r here so they dont really mind!!

message 32: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) I can't write with people around. It's weird. :P

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

me neither! they were in the backyard when i did mine or i usually write at nite on my itouch or in the morning b4 somebody knws im awake!!

message 34: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) I usually write in my room, but I moved out to the dining room because eventually we're getting a desktop instead of a lap top and I'm going to be forced to write with people around and I might as well get used to it now. :P

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

oh well! we have a desktop but its upstairs and super slow so everybody uses the laptop--at least i have my itouch!

message 36: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) I'm the only one in my house who really uses the computer. Lucky me. :D

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

oooh lucky u! everybody uses the laptop! :(

message 38: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) Aww. :P

message 39: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Mapstone | 55 comments I'm posting up my entry later today. :)

message 40: by Carter, We need to get this group going again (new)

You have until friday so edit it and do your best.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

do we vote on friday?

Maria [the clockwork creeps on useless lives] (mariachhile) | 51 comments ok, i still need to start writing!! EEKS!!!

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

lol we'll be waiting!

message 44: by Carter, We need to get this group going again (new)

I am finished. I just have to edit

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

cool!! ha i just finished a chapter in my story too and i was editing! (not the short story a different one)

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Yup its a ton of fun to write!!

message 47: by Carter, We need to get this group going again (new)

Omg I say coolio too!!!

message 48: by Carter, We need to get this group going again (new)

Omg I say coolio too!!!

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

lol

anybody got anymore entries??

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

lol idk ask carter!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.