Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '11 - '12 > Wicked Lovely - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Discussion of Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr to begin in September.

Spoilers are allowed.

message 2: by Patricia (last edited Sep 01, 2009 08:18PM) (new)

Patricia There are the different "courts" in this faerie tale and by the end of the third book you will definitely have your favorite. And though I will say that the second book Ink Exchange is more like a side note and not completely necessary to follow with the characters of Wicked Lovely I will say that it will give you better insight in the courts themselves. Marr gives you just enough detail in this rather creative setting, leaving it to your imagination, and never abusing descriptive wording. The only thing I wish she did not leave completely to my imagination was the love scenes. She was sure to keep it PG (possibly PG-13 to some) for her young adult readers. This is something I hope going into the fourth book she keeps in mind that after that cliff hanger, she should kick it up a notch

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments While I agree that Ink Exchange isn't essential, it gives you a much better understanding of Nial, which I think is important. I think this is such a beautiful series that I would encourage reading all of the books.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Oh, is this the group read this month?
I had no idea, but I started it last night. :) What a fortunate coincidence! But I'm going to have to skip this thread until I finish.

message 5: by Amelia (last edited Sep 02, 2009 04:12PM) (new)

Amelia | 1011 comments I actually liked Ink Exchange more than Wicked Lovely. Nial is probably my favorite character.

I have Fragile Eternity on my challenge list this month :)

message 6: by Patricia (last edited Sep 02, 2009 06:19PM) (new)

Patricia Don't get me wrong, I believe Nial will play a much larger part in the future, and he was my favorite character as well, so I apologize if I implied Ink Exchange to be insignifigant, I just wish someone had told me not to worry that Fragile Eternity will address some of the questions left unanswered from WL. That is probably why FE is my favorite. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did :-)

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments Amelia wrote: "I actually liked Ink Exchange more than Wicked Lovely. Nial is probably my favorite character."

I keep hoping Niall will get a book of his own. I liked the world building, how the fae have that creepy otherworldly quality. They're not really nice or desirable, really, and you understand why Aislinn has a hard time dealing with what she is. I like that Seth lives in a trainyard. Nice touch on the fae and iron myth.

message 8: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 1011 comments Did anyone else not like Keenan from the start of Wicked Lovely?

message 9: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) | 115 comments Amelia wrote: "Did anyone else not like Keenan from the start of Wicked Lovely?"

I didn't. I honestly still don't really like him that much. I'm totally rooting for Seth.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I've never been a Keenan fan either.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments Nope, not a Keenan fan.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I'm about halfway and I haven't decided what I think of Keenan yet. I do think I prefer Aislinn with Seth - but if I were writing this story, there would be an HEA for Keenan and Donia.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) K, I finished!! I know you guys were all waiting with bated breath.
I really liked the way this ended. I've always hated the "soul mate" thing in PNR, and I feel like Melissa Marr sort of turned that on it's ear, where Aislinn was fated to be with Keenan, but it didn't mean she fell in love with him. I loved that. And I guess I sort of got my HEA for Keenan and Donia... or at least a maybe. I'm curious to read the next two books. Ink Exchange is about Irial, right? I'd like to know why he teamed up with Beira to bind Keenan's powers.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, Ink Exchange is about Irial. :)

message 15: by Emma (new)

Emma O (emmielou0110) | 8 comments I put off reading this book because its YA, but I really enjoyed it. It is a quick fun read, but the characters are fun. I loved that in the end she didn't give in to Keenan. I also loved the character of Donia. I'm glad that she became the winter queen and can tough Keenan again. I would have liked a little less predictability in the characters, but it was a fun read.

message 16: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments It's been a while since I read this book, so I started listening to the audio book last night at work. Got about half way through. I really like how different this story is from so many of the other fantasty novels out there! As for Keenan, I haven't liked him from the start! He's the typical arogant Fae, and he really doesn't care about Aislinn, he just wants his powers. I mean, I just had to laugh when a few hours before he is going to go on his first date with her (the one that he's been working for more than a week to get her to agree to) he wants to spend some time with his summer girls to help him relax!!! Do any of us NOT know what he was doing with them. Yes, in his mind he probably wasn't doing anything wrong, but that just goes to show the mindset of some of the fae!

As for Aislinn, I really like her! Also, I love her name! :) And Seth is just amazing. How many guys do you know that would take her seriously when she said that she was being followed by Fae. You know that at first he probably didn't believe her really, but he still didn't laugh or make light of what she said. I just love him!

message 17: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 1011 comments Keenan is an ass. Never liked him. Though Fragile Eternity is next on my reading list ..... I doubt this will change. lol

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I guess I'm in the minority - I wasn't bothered by Keenan. I guess it's my simple mind; I liked that he wasn't ever real competition for Seth. There was no way Aislinn was ever going to choose him, so I was free to just sort of take him as he was rather than disliking him because he wasn't the love interest I wanted for her. He had his not so good qualities (he's definitely way self-absorbed), but I think overall he wanted to do the right thing.

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orlich Ahern (kittymeowxcore) | 65 comments I am a big Fever fan (KMM) and saw this book and that it is about the fae. So I had to buy it, of course. While it was for a younger crowd, I LOVED it. The characters are enthralling and relatable. Everyone can understand what Ash is going through through not only the first book, but the whole series.

I'm team Seth all the way. I liked him from the start. However, I do feel that Keenan is motivated for reasons outside of himself. He doesn't necessarily want Ash for himself, but to keep his court strong and alive.

Can't wait for the upcoming sequels. I liked Ink Exchange, but I was so hooked on Seth/Ash/Keenan, I didn't have much patience for anything but.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments Amanda, have you read Fragile Eternity yet? It continues the Seth/Keenan/Aislinn story.

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orlich Ahern (kittymeowxcore) | 65 comments Yup. I went through all 3 in a few days, lol. I liked how Fragile Eternity ended, cause I love Seth. <3

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I just really hope she writes a story about Niall. I really like him and am a little sad that he's always just part of the background.

message 23: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 1011 comments Nichole wrote: "I guess I'm in the minority - I wasn't bothered by Keenan. I guess it's my simple mind; I liked that he wasn't ever real competition for Seth. There was no way Aislinn was ever going to choose him,..."

I don't like Keenan for Keenan. Nothing to do with the love interest bit. lol

He's squirrely. I feel like something dark is lurking under that shiny fae surface.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments Slightly off topic, but Wicked Lovely just got picked up for filming. There's a story about it in Variety, and on Melissa Marr's writing blog.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Amelia wrote: "He's squirrely. I feel like something dark is lurking under that shiny fae surface."

Squirrely, huh? I mostly just got the arrogant/self-absorbed vibe. Is there anything in subsequent books that make him seem more "squirrely" to you?

message 26: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 1011 comments Hmmmmm.... if done properly it would be a fantastic film!

Nichole, I got the arrogant and self-absorbed vibe all along too but their were certain parts in the books where he showed cruelty. .... Like the part where he was going to have his way with Aislinn while she wasn't fully aware (Niall talked him out of it) or the part in Ink Exchange where he threatened Leslie. Little things like that.

message 27: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I just felt like the entire time he is just selfish! I wont go into things in the later books that make me think that (because hopefully we'll read them as a group and can discuss them). But just think about even the very start of the book. So, this girl that he supposedly loves risks everything to try to be his Queen. And when it doesn't work, does he say anything to her? No, he just walks away! It's like he doesn't even care what she will now have to go through, only the fact that he doesn't get his powers back yet!

message 28: by Schnaucl (new)

Schnaucl | 14 comments Shannon wrote: "Amelia wrote: "Did anyone else not like Keenan from the start of Wicked Lovely?"

I didn't. I honestly still don't really like him that much. I'm totally rooting for Seth.
"

I was the same way. Seth seemed cool and more layered than Keenan.

Keenan would fall into my "stop suffering and die already" camp I'm afraid. I'm suffering, and I'm suffering, and I'm going to throw a tantrum about my suffering, and hey, look, suffering! ::yawn::

message 29: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Schnaucl wrote: "Keenan would fall into my "stop suffering and die already" camp I'm afraid. I'm suffering, and I'm suffering, and I'm going to throw a tantrum about my suffering, and hey, look, suffering!"

LOL! That's great! I completely agree!

message 30: by Schnaucl (new)

Schnaucl | 14 comments Kelley Anne wrote: "Schnaucl wrote: "Keenan would fall into my "stop suffering and die already" camp I'm afraid. I'm suffering, and I'm suffering, and I'm going to throw a tantrum about my suffering, and hey, look, s..."

A friend of mine dubbed me "stop suffering and die already" in college because I kept saying that about certain characters (Angel from the BTVS years, I'm looking at you) and it kind of stuck ;)

message 31: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 1011 comments LOL

This is exactly Keenan's category!

message 32: by Trace (new)

Trace (Runetracey) I did like book, and for a YA book, its OK and Ive since got the next in the series.
I think the next book is better, darker than this one. This one is interesting in it's approach to the Fae Courts. I didnt really gel with Keenan, he seemed shallow to me, two dimensional

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wicked Lovely (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Melissa Marr (other topics)