How do you organise your writing - Idea to Promo and beyond discussion

Censorship

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.B. (new)

D.B. Pacini (DBPacini) Goodread Members,

I posted in my Goodreads blog an open letter to Goodreads about censorship. Please read the letter, it addresses a problem that should concern all members of Goodreads. Please post on my blog that you want Goodreads to change polices about this. If enough of us make this request they may take it seriously.

Thanks,

D.B.

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Well, I do agree with you. It hasn't occurred to me, I don't think, but it wouldn't bother me at all if someone disagreed with my review. I certainly woudn't consider deleting their comments - unless couched in offensive language, littered with personal insult etc.

message 3: by D.B. (last edited Aug 29, 2009 12:27PM) (new)

D.B. Pacini (DBPacini) Paul,

My point exactly. As Rowena posted, "If a reviewer is able to delete comments that disagree with his or her opinions, over time an entirely spurious impression might be given that this review has more authority, and is more representative of a consensus than is truly the case."

When a person posts a review he/she should be confident that the review does reflect their opinion. They should be strong enough to stand by their review regardless of any review or any respectfully written comment that differs with them. If you cannot stand by your review, you should not post it. Manipulating the posted comments to “protect” your review is outrageous, dishonorable, and I think illegal.

Other Goodreads Folks: Please click on my profile and then click on my blog. This letter to Goodreads about censorship will be the first blog you see with a lot of response comments. I am trying to read the responses every few hours to stay on top of them. If you read the letter and the responses you'll fully understand what this is all about. Please take time to post your supportive comments so that Goodreads will see that we want this policy changed.

DB