Authors Society discussion

Misc. > Censorship

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.B. (new)

D.B. Pacini (DBPacini) Goodread Members,

I posted in my Goodreads blog an open letter to Goodreads about censorship. Please read the letter, it addresses a problem that should concern all members of Goodreads. Please post on my blog that you want Goodreads to change polices about this. If enough of us make this request they may take it seriously.

Thanks,

D.B.

message 2: by A. Colin (new)

A. Colin Wright (acolinwright) | 29 comments Yes, I don't like any form of censorship either. Let's stop deleting other people's comments.

message 3: by D.B. (new)

D.B. Pacini (DBPacini) Thanks Colin. Please post your opinion on my blog so that Goodreads can see that you agree.

Click on my profile and then click on my blog. It will be the first blog you see with a lot of response comments. I am trying to read the responses every few hours to stay on top of them. I haven't read them today, I will in a few minutes. I don't know if any new ones are there or not. If you read the letter and the responses you'll fully understand what this is all about.

Best,

DB

message 4: by A. Colin (new)

A. Colin Wright (acolinwright) | 29 comments Yes, I don't like any form of censorship either. Let's stop deleting other people's comments.

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (paguthrie) | 26 comments I just came in on this, but I agree. I may have gotten the issue wrong, but do you mean anyone
can delete other people's comments? I didn't think
you could do that.

In any case, being an author, I am against censorship.

message 6: by D.B. (new)

D.B. Pacini (DBPacini) Patricia,

I've contacted Goodreads and sent them the open letter I have posted in my blog. It is the weekend, Goodreads will probably respond to the letter within a few more days. Apparently, a reviewer can delete/censor any comment posted under his/her review that he/she does not like. Goodreads may not know this. It may be an oversight that they will correct when we bring it to their attention. I do not know what their policy is.

Please read the letter posted in the blog and the responding comments. If this is a Goodreads policy I hope we can convince them to stop allowing it. It is a form of censorship. If a reviewer does not like a comment he/she should definitely be allowed to post a comment expressing their opinions. They should not, in my opinion, be allowed to censor other comments that have been posted.

When you read the comments on my blog you will see that some people do not agree with me. You will have to make up your own mind. I hope after reading the comments that you will join our efforts to fight against censorship.

Thanks.

DB