Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Urban Fantasy > Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning

Comments Showing 1-50 of 224 (224 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa For anyone who is done reading the fourth book, Dreamfever, in the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning, let's discuss!

WARNING! SPOILERS! DO NOT go any further if you have not read the latest book.

P.S. When commenting here, you might want to uncheck the box "add to my update feed" just as a courtesy to any of your goodreads friends who don't want the surprises spoiled.

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I was a bit upset at the cliffhanger ending. I swear it's the worse one yet! Who do you think she killed?! I have been silently freaking out every day since I read this book. I keep running the plot through my mind, trying to guess who it could have been at the end. Any thoughts?

How great was Barrons technique for curing Mac of her fae sex addiction? I loved the writing during that time. I loved how animal Mac was and am so impressed with how it came across in the writing. I only wished they weren't so cold to each other after, but there is still one more book.

Also, I so wish that I could get tone and fit just by having animal sex for two months, but alas, that workout plan wouldn't work well in real life.

Can't wait to hear what everyone else thinks!

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Aug 28, 2009 04:25PM) (new)

Sarah I’ve had a lot of time to theorize in another group thread, so here goes. Even with the cliffhanger ending, I still really like this story. I practically devoured this book! And Barrons during the Pri-ya scenes nearly broke my heart. On some level, I think he really does have all his hopes banked in Mac. Whether that's love or as close to it as he gets, who knows? His dancing and calling her Rainbow Girl was so un-Barrons that I felt my heart skip some beats reading it. Reminded me of when V'lane sifted her and Barrons tore apart the bookshop. You do that for people you care about.

Which brings me to: What the hell is the big secret about what Barrons and Co. are? What ARE they? Read the first post on this forum. I like this person's theory. http://www.karenmoning.com/forum/show...

As for the IYD demon, I’ve got a sinking feeling it was Barrons. If the beast was indeed Barrons, I think he's immortal. What males are left who would crush Mac's world if they die? The sneaky part is explaining the “how” of it. Barrons was supposed to be on his way to Georgia, and he was seen to be separate from the IYD beast in the garage. And we don’t really know what Christian was turning into, or where he went. Plus, Ryodan was willing to kill it, and I'm not sure he'd really want to kill Barrons. As for Ryodan, why did it take him so much longer to appear than the IYD monster? Mac punched the buttons in order, Barrons, IYCGM, then IYD. IYD came almost immediately, but it took Ryodan almost two sleep cycles. But who else might IYD be? So, if Barrons could be Draghar and immortal, it could explain a lot. I always wondered why it was important for Dageus MacKeltar to know about draghar if there were none present.

I’m also thinking that somehow Mac will learn how to use the mirrors in the Hall. Barrons told her they weren’t just portals to other dimensions, but portals to time. She could, theoretically, change time. But that would mean she’d have to pay a heavy price. I think Mac would do it, though.

Also did Darroc tell the truth about Alina really loving him, and he her? That he didn’t kill her? If so, who did kill her and why? Running theory on the other thread is that Rowena could’ve done it. Something is not right with her.

I’m also happy to see the Highlander druids and Adam Black being talked about again. I’m hoping they make appearances in the last book. I’m wondering about the woman Mac saw in the library and in her dreams, too. Could she be the Unseelie King’s concubine, or Mac’s mom or grandmother?

And we need to figure out who the 4th Unseelie prince was. No one but Mac saw him. I’m wondering about the Dreamy-eyed boy. He appeared in Darkfever when Mac first saw him in the museum, when she stripped for V’lane. She had a weird fantasy about having sex with him and 3 hot brothers. Then when Mac tried to look at him in the club, he vibrated like V'lane did. To me, that marks him as fae. And what is the "it" she's not supposed to talk to? The book? The Sinsar Dubh is the wild card in the whole series, since nobody appears to know what it wants, but everybody wants it.

message 4: by Sarah (last edited Aug 28, 2009 04:23PM) (new)

Sarah Two important Highlander passages:

From Spell of the Highlander:

"Queen Aoibheal of the Tuatha De Danaan murmured... Humans were forever attributing the meddling of the Fae to the divine. As well they should, for handling so many threads, subtly altering the weft and weck of the world, truly required something of the divine.

They were here now.

Her players, her pieces on the board. More than pawns, less than kings.

The catastrophe that had occurred in the seventeenth century hadn't taken place after all, not since she'd rearranged events to get the Keltar's underground chamber sealed. The one in the twentieth century hadn't come to fruition either, for the same reason. Nor had the other two, though for different reasons...

Seven times now she'd prevented the extinction of the purest and most potent of the Druid lines.

And positioned the five most powerful Druids that had ever lived precisely where she wanted them. Where they could ally her.

Where they could save her."

She sums up that Dageus knows about the Draghar, Cian is the most powerful druid, Drustan is a warrior beyond corruption, and two more chosen but not on the scene yet.

Quote:"...five years in their future, their world was in chaos, the walls between Man and Faery were down... Though her race could move at will through the past, they could not penetrate a future that had not yet occurred. If one attempted to go forward beyond one's persent existence, one encountered an oppressive white mist... If one went too far back in the past, one encountered the same mist.

She reveals that she sifted back many times from 5.5 years in the future, her present, to change events to put these 5 Druids in Dublin. She hid her changes from her court.

From pg. 92 of Into the Dreaming when the Seelie Queen enters the Dark King’s realm, it looks like the Unseelie King isn’t fully sidhe, but maybe part draghar:

"The iciness of his realm stole her breath away. then she saw him and inhaled sharply, sucking in great lungfulls of icy air. Her memory had not done him justice. He was even more exotic than she'd recalled. a palpable darkness surrounded him. He was deadly and powerful, and she knew from intimate experience just how inventively, exhaustively erotic he was. A true master of pain, he understood pleasure as no other could.

'My queen,' he said, his eyes of night and ice glittering.

Even as powerful as the Seelie queen was, she found it impossible to gaze into his eyes for more than a moment. Some claimed they'd been emptied of matter and pure chaos spooned into the sockets.

...When he rose from his throne of ice, and rose and rose, she caught her breath. Not quite fairy, his blood mixed with the blood of a creature even the Fae hesitated to name. His shadow moved unnaturally as he rose, slithering around him, wont to move independently of its host.

...She was young by his standards, for the king of darkness was ancient--sprung from the loins of an age she'd heard of only in legend.

...And when he was upon her, when he had gathered her up and his great wings began to flap, she let her head fall against his icy breast."

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa My first thought was, she just killed Barrons. But the more I think about it, the more I think no way. He was in the garage when she heard the IYD beast. Since it was so protective of Mac when they met, I now feel like that is why he didn't want her to go near it all this time. He's more protecting her from who the beast was/is than protecting her from the beast itself. I'm trying to figure out if the IYD beast was definitely male or could it actually be her sister. The unseelie are really the results of experiments of how to make mortals immortal. Whose to say it's not Mac's sister turned beast? Moning was careful to word it so we couldn't tell if the "person" she killed is male or female. It's obviously someone she cares about. V'Lane would be another one I can think of that would break her heart to lose. I just don't know! And I really want to know!

I also think Ryodan is not on Mac and Barron's side. Not sure that he has been the whole time. I agree that Barrons seems to be the only one counting on Mac and that most everyone else is trying to stop her from affecting whatever is ultimately happening.

I hate Rowena and all her secrets and need to know attitude. I can't wait to see what her motivations are in all of this.

I'm thinking Darroc is going to end up being a good guy in the end and that he did love Alina (here's where I like the ending being Alina that Mac killed - makes me think Darroc was playing with magic and made Alina the beast).

I agree with everything you said about Barrons during the Pri-ya time. I wanted that part to go on longer or for them to be closer when it was over. I knew when he said "you'll hate me even more" that they were going to be distant again when it was over. I'm just so sure that there will be a happily-ever-after that I can't keep thinking she killed Barrons. But, then again, it won't be the first time that an author goes against the grain and kills off major players.

message 6: by Michelle (last edited Aug 28, 2009 07:18PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore Alina being the IYD beast? I didn't even consider that a possibility; but now that its in my head, wow! But, I was thinking that Rowena may have killed Alina too, I really hate her and all her secrets. JZB is the only one who gets a pass on all his secrets. I was thinking that the Dreamy Eye guy was either the 4th Unseelie prince, or the IYD beast, at least some kind of fae. I'd love to know what the "it" was too, that he warned Mac never to speak to. I don't know anything, and I NEED to know everything. One thing that I'm sure of, is that no matter what I'm doing, or where I am, is that when book 5 is released, that I'll be at whatever bookstore when the doors open. I'm going to read KMM's Highlander series in the meantime. Oh, did anybody else feel that V'lane's attitude from book 3 to book 4 became more arrogant? I thought in Faefever, that he wanted to be friends? Then, in book 4, he just changed? I'm probably the only one who'd rather Mac end up with V'lane in the end if she ends up with anyone at all.

message 7: by Melissa (last edited Aug 28, 2009 07:08PM) (new)

Melissa The only reason I started to think of Alina as the beast is because Moning went out of her way to say "person". If it had been a male character, I'm not sure that would matter so much. There are plenty of the male characters I can think of that have fit into the situation, but she said person. AAHHHH! I'm going to drive myself crazy until Shadowfever.

AND - Don't you think she went a bit overboard with talking about Alina? All the pictures, and her missing her, and flashbacks of memories with her sister. I realize the whole thing started with her sister's death in Dublin, but she seemed a big part of the book this time and it's made me read way too much into it and connecting her sister to the beast in my head.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Oh, good, I'm not crazy to think of Alina. Of course, when I do find out, I'll be wrong and think, duh, and remember why I'm not a writer.

message 9: by Kelleigh (new)

Kelleigh (goodreadscomsunshine2047) I just can't believe how absorbed I am in this series! It's fantastic, hands down my favorite read yet. I finished the fourth book last night, and now I'm in a frenzy trying to figure out who she helped kill! ARGH!
Needless to say my mind is rather numb this morning from considering the possibilities. Has anyone here read her Highlander series? If it's anything like the fever series, I'm running to the bookstore and buying them!
:)

message 10: by Denise (new)

Denise (dshelton) | 59 comments Kelleigh wrote: "I just can't believe how absorbed I am in this series! It's fantastic, hands down my favorite read yet. I finished the fourth book last night, and now I'm in a frenzy trying to figure out who she h..."
I started with her Highland series and couldn't get enough and then started this 'fever' series. I too was totally absorbed with the book and wonder who too she killed. I can't wait for the next one you know it isn't over yet. There are cross over character in her Highland series that are found in the 'fever' series. Having read the Highland book first it really helped to understand the 'wall' coming down and such becuase as you move through those books in order you understand more and more about the fae and the upcoming issues with the 'wall' and the roll of Christian and his family who by the way have at least 3 books about them (Twin brothers,and a distant relative) some of them are time travel books where the women goes back in time but not all. They are romance oriented and lots of sexual tention (more then the 'fever' series) with a good story and a strong/SMART female - which I appreciate. They are one of my favorites. RUN to the book story and read them in order because information builds and different character cross over in different books.

message 11: by Reby (new)

Reby | 3 comments I think it might be her grandmother or even her mother. She had just found her grandmother and she said, "Now I'd lost everything." I'm going to have to read everything to try to prove my theory.

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I like your theory, Reby. Makes better sense than my thinking it was her sister, who is supposed to be dead already. I just don't want it to be Barrons!

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Melissa wrote: "I like your theory, Reby. Makes better sense than my thinking it was her sister, who is supposed to be dead already. I just don't want it to be Barrons!"

I like your theory too Reby. I never even considered that it could be her mother or grandmother.
There are still so many questions left unanswered.

message 14: by Lady Heather (new)

Lady Heather  (_ladyheather_) Sarah wrote: "I’ve had a lot of time to theorize in another group thread, so here goes. Even with the cliffhanger ending, I still really like this story. I practically devoured this book! And Barrons during the ..."

WOW! I love your theory! I to believe that it was Barron's who was the killed..and the reason He could appear in the garage at the same time as the "other beast" is because all of his men are the same species. I think Mac will learn how to use the mirrors so she can go back in time and save Barron's (if it is him).
I LOVED Mac and Barrons during the whole Pri-ya time! I think He loves her he just has such a hard heart and is so focused on saving the world.

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Cary (silvrtonguegdds) | 5 comments Melissa wrote: "My first thought was, she just killed Barrons. But the more I think about it, the more I think no way. He was in the garage when she heard the IYD beast. Since it was so protective of Mac when t..."

the beast was male though...

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Nicole wrote: "Melissa wrote: "My first thought was, she just killed Barrons. But the more I think about it, the more I think no way. He was in the garage when she heard the IYD beast. Since it was so protecti..."

True. I just can't take it anymore! I need to read the 5th and final book. Whenever it comes out, I don't care what I'm doing. If I have to call in to work, I'll be at some bookstore when the doors open, and dedicating the day to getting some answers. I totally forgot that the beast was male. It can't be Barons. Could it be V'lane?

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Cary (silvrtonguegdds) | 5 comments Girl, I'm right there with you. I have them in audio form so I'll have to wait till juuust before the next installment in my addiction comes out and listen to them all again back to back and see if I pick up on anything new. I stick them on my ipod and listen while I do things around the house. My best guess is that Christian. She may have not been entangled with him...but she was fond of him. So being responsible for his death would be a huge blow to her.

I am dying ....I odn't think I can wait a year on this cliff hanger....

The hollows by kim harrison are another that's driving me crazy.

write faster ladies!!

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Cary (silvrtonguegdds) | 5 comments and another thing that is sticking out to me....who the hell is the dreamy eyed boy. Remember the scene where his reflection spoke to her in Ryodan's club. And when she looked directly at him...he acted like he didn't know what she was on about...

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Nicole wrote: "Girl, I'm right there with you. I have them in audio form so I'll have to wait till juuust before the next installment in my addiction comes out and listen to them all again back to back and see i..."

Kim Harrison cliffhanger?! I just started For a Few Demons More. I don't think I can stand another cliffhanger. I think I have at least 2 more to go in the Hollows series, thankfully.

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Nicole wrote: "and another thing that is sticking out to me....who the hell is the dreamy eyed boy. Remember the scene where his reflection spoke to her in Ryodan's club. And when she looked directly at him...h..."

I know. I was wondering if the beast could be him. And if the beast that she killed was the "it" he said not to talk too. Hmmmm.....

message 21: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Cary (silvrtonguegdds) | 5 comments OH good catch....

message 22: by Nicki (new)

Nicki ****Spoiler****

I found something interesting in the book.

•Mac used Voice on the beast (page335).

•Mac said on page 338: “Unaffected, the monster kept coming.”

•Glossary page 380: Voice: I can resist and use it now! ... But Barrons was right: The student and teacher lose the ability to use it on each other.

I think the beast is Barrons, because the said she can’t use it on her teacher and she can’t use it on the beast.
I think Mac said “Now I’d lost everything”, because she thinks Barrons is dead now and no one will come to rescue her. And of course she feels something for him.
But I also think Barrons isn’t dead. Because he said to her that she should never believe something is dead before she tore it apart, burned it and nothing rose from the ashes.
About the thing in the garage, I don’t know how it fits in, but there is perhaps some other thing beside the beast in it.

Sorry, for wrong spelling. I’m from Germany.

Please tell me what you think about it. I am glad to hear your opinion.

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa But, I don't want it to be Barrons! That's just me whining.

Your theory makes sense! I forgot about the voice thing. I did remember his comment about things not being dead and I had that in the back of my mind when I finished the book. It's going to be really hard not to keep thinking about who she killed!

The thing in the garage throws me every time though.

message 24: by Nicki (new)

Nicki First of all I thought Barrons is a vampire. He is fast, strong etc., but now I’m not so sure.

The first two books are already published in Germany. The German title of the first one means something like “In the spell of the vampire” and the second one “In the realm of the vampire”.

The most German readers are angry. As they bought the book they thought, it is about a vampire and now it isn’t.
I thought that means something.
I also don't want it to be Barrons. But for me it is the only explanation.
I think if he is the beast then he is immortal and will be alive.

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Nicki wrote: "****Spoiler****

•Glossary page 380: Voic..."

Great theory Nicki! You've definitely given me something to think about. I don't want it to be Barrons. But, I'm sure that if it is, Moning has developed some clever way to bring him back. Can she still call on V'lane? I can't remember at this point. Well, I guess if she could've, she would have. I just don't know anymore.

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Maybe, she can go back in time with the mirrors. I've been thinking that that is one way to undo her killing the beast/person.

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Melissa wrote: "Maybe, she can go back in time with the mirrors. I've been thinking that that is one way to undo her killing the beast/person."

I can't believe there's only one more book left in this series!

message 28: by Nicki (new)

Nicki I really hope Mac and Barrons come together.

message 29: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (cpi3rc3) | 5 comments Wow. So many theories! I have to reread the series before the next comes out. I tend to get over excited and skim parts to get to the "good stuff" :)

I read this months ago and the cliff hanger ending still gnaws at me. I hope she and Barron's come together completely. He keeps pushing her away or she him, just when one seems to want to yield.

message 30: by Amanda (last edited Oct 11, 2009 09:31AM) (new)

Amanda Orlich Ahern (kittymeowxcore) | 97 comments So I've re-read the entire series post-Dreamfever with a few things in mind, and have taken tons of notes. Here's what I've come up with. It's long, so get some coffee :)

I really think Barrons, if not the Unseelie King, is very very related to the Unseelie King. First, we know that Barrons is incredible and super fast and such. He's not human, and we know that. But Mac keeps referring to both Barrons and the Book as "the Beast". The book is the most evil, vile part of the Unseelie King. He couldn't drink from the Cauldron to erase his past memories, so he drained it all into a book so he could forget and live somewhere where no one would know who he was. Prehaps, IF Barrons is the UK, he'd be looking for his book so he can keep his evil parts from spilling over into the world. Keep in mind, I really don't see the UK as a "bad guy". I think he tried to take too much power (VERY Barrons-like) and it ran away with him. Yes, he created this awful race of Unseelie Fae, but even he considered them abominations. Mac learns that the Unseelie cannot touch Seelie weapons and OOPs. So she is relieved when Barrons can touch her spear. However, we also learn that the King and Queen can touch them, and even battled with them. Certain Unseelie fae are afraid of Barrons. If he is the UK, of course they would fear him. He didn't help in releasing them from their icy prison, and he created them....he could easily destroy them if he had the Book. The Lord Master wouldn't fight him, because he knew Barrons would easily squash him. Prehaps those who have challenged Barrons haven't known what he was.

So what/who are the other 8? I'm thinking they might be "protectors" or the punishers of the Unseelie Kingdon. Ryodan obviously has no problem with the Unseelie. He lets them into his club and allows them to interact with humans. Mac keeps complaining that the Fae don't see humans as viable lives. I don't think Ryodan really does on some level either.

As for the fourth Unseelie Prince, it HAS to have something to do with dreamy eyed boy. When Dani is trying to rescue Mac from the Princes, she says that the fourth is more of a shadow. When Mac is at Chester's and sees Dreamy eyed boy there, she looks in a mirror and says that something was "off" and made her want to run away screaming. Dreamy Eyed Boy says "don't talk to it". I don't think he was referring to the Gray Woman, but this part of himself that is unreliable and evil.

As for IYD, I'm also leaning towards it being Barrons. He makes a comment to Mac about why she didn't use IYD, and that she has little faith in him. Maybe Ryodan knows that if Barrons is transformed into IYD, he can't come back from it, and that is why he presses on Mac to only use it if she needs it. However, I can't really find an explanation for the beast under Barrons garage. (Unless there is IYD under there, but Barrons maybe posesses it in order to protect Mac.) Mac makes comments while she is Pri-ya that Barrons is her world, and at the end of Dreamfever, she says that she really had lost everything now. IYD is "the Beast" to Mac, just like Barrons and the Book. I don't think it's the end of Barrons or Ryodan, though.

I don't see Darroc as a long-term threat. I think it'll come down to a final battle and his rear-end will get kicked into the ground.

Here is a big question, though. What is Mac? There are tons of comments throughout the books about how she doesn't know what she is yet. Alina said it...Barrons said it...Vlane said it. I don't think she is entirely human. She has dream visions of this icy cold woman. I don't know...but I have this inkling feelings that she is somehow part fae. Maybe that part is so small that no one else can really sense it, but I think she is somehow related to Barron's princess.

KMM is the MASTER of foreshadowing events, and I'm sure all the answers to these questions we have are hidden in sub-text throughout the prior 4 books. I know one thing, though. Barrons needs his own damn book.

message 31: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orlich Ahern (kittymeowxcore) | 97 comments Haha, I had a dream last night that I told KMM that I was terminally sick and would probably die before Shadowfever came out, and it was my dying wish to read it...and she let me read it early. >.<

Oh.!!!! I just had an ephiphany. The next book is called Shadowfever. Dani describes the 4th being who rapes Mac as a shadow. hmmmmm >.>
I can't wait.

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Amanda wrote: "Haha, I had a dream last night that I told KMM that I was terminally sick and would probably die before Shadowfever came out, and it was my dying wish to read it...and she let me read it early. >.<..."

Don't give me any ideas, lol!

message 33: by pianogal (new)

pianogal | 31 comments Whew! Just finished this one last night and while I wasn't shocked about there being a cliffhanger, I was frustrated about what it was. I'm firmly on the Barrons Is Not Dead team - whether or not he was the beast is a different story. Moning never said man, she was gender neutral with person - so it could be anyone. If he was the best, though, Mac will find some way to bring him back. Moning's got a lot of details to finish up with the next one, and she promised some triumphs, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. OY!

message 34: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Amanda, Amanda, Amanda! Thank you! I plan to reread the whole series right before the final book, but just don't have it in me emotionally to do it before then. I have been thinking Barrons is definitely linked to the King, but wasn't sure if he could actually be the King so I totally see what you are saying. I've thought Mac was something more than human right from the beginning since both she and her sister were targeted. I never really put any more thought into it with all the excitement of trying to figure out what Barrons is and waiting for him to finally get in her pants. I am wondering more about the book as the months go by. There are things in my mind that keep making me come back to it. I defintely need a reread to remember why though!

message 35: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Melissa wrote: "Amanda, Amanda, Amanda! Thank you! I plan to reread the whole series right before the final book, but just don't have it in me emotionally to do it before then. I have been thinking Barrons is d..."

I'll reread them with you guys before the next one comes out. Everytime I read the postings here, I have more questions that I know I can answer by rereading; but like Melissa, I just don't have it in me to do so far out from the next book.

message 36: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orlich Ahern (kittymeowxcore) | 97 comments Melissa, you've got me thinking now that maybe Alina really isn't dead. Yes, Mac saw her brutalized body, but in the Fever world, that doesn't really mean much. If there were magic involved, Mac wasn't really a trained sidhe-seer at that point, and may not have even noticed it.

Why would Darroc keeps promising Mac that she could have Alina back? I don't know if he really could promise that if he couldn't do it.

Prehaps Ryodan would kill Mac if she used IYD unnecessarily because if she knew Alina were not dead, she'd give up on her quest for the book? I'm still not sure if Darroc is a good guy, because in The Immortal Highlander, he certainly wasn't the good guy. But I really do believe that he didn't kill Alina and did love her. His motives for bringing down the walls are questionable, though.

message 37: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Oh, what a tangled web KMM has conceived.....

message 38: by Angie (new)

Angie | 8 comments Michelle wrote: "Alina being the IYD beast? I didn't even consider that a possibility; but now that its in my head, wow! But, I was thinking that Rowena may have killed Alina too, I really hate her and all her sec..."

I really like V'lane as well. I liked what he said about starting to realize why the Fae Adam turned human for a woman. I'm still torn on who I want her with, though. I'm not sure the beast is Barrons...he gave her the cell pretty early on didn't he? She can detect OOPs, but was he willing to die for her the minute he gave her the cell? lol I'm so confused!

message 39: by Michelle (last edited Oct 13, 2009 06:10PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore Angie wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Alina being the IYD beast? I didn't even consider that a possibility; but now that its in my head, wow! But, I was thinking that Rowena may have killed Alina too, I really hate he..."

I'm so confused too. I'm afraid that at times, I'd rather Mac end up with V'lane. Or, at least I do when Barrons is smashing birthday cakes, and treating her like dirt. I get Barrons appeal, but aside from the whole "Rainbow Girl" bit, has he done anything nice for her where he didn't have something to gain?

message 40: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orlich Ahern (kittymeowxcore) | 97 comments That's very true, Michelle. Everyone wants Barrons to be the hero so badly. And yea, he's saved her several times and he's protected her...but it's usually taken him a long time to save her and he's so secretive. Mac trusts him because she's still alive, but that's really. In a way she has feelings for him, but only because of how sexy he is and because of how he brought her back from being Pri-ya.

But what else is there? We just don't know how Barrons feels about her. Is she just a means to an end, or more?

message 41: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I think Barron's sees something in her that he doesn't want to see. He doesn't want to have real feelings for her so he keeps her at a distance. I always get the feeling it's a bit like Romeo and Juliet where they aren't "supposed" to like each other, it's just that Mac doesn't know that and I'm afraid that she's going to be really pissed when she figures out just what he is. I think he thinks so too.

message 42: by Kelleigh (new)

Kelleigh (goodreadscomsunshine2047) Denise wrote: "Kelleigh wrote: "I just can't believe how absorbed I am in this series! It's fantastic, hands down my favorite read yet. I finished the fourth book last night, and now I'm in a frenzy trying to fig..."

Funny you should mention that Denise. I did run out to the bookstore. I'm now almost finished with the 5th Highlander book. Great books! Just now starting to see quite a bit of cross over into the fever series. Love it :)

message 43: by Angie (new)

Angie | 8 comments Amanda wrote: "That's very true, Michelle. Everyone wants Barrons to be the hero so badly. And yea, he's saved her several times and he's protected her...but it's usually taken him a long time to save her and he'..."

I agree, we need to really see more of his feeilngs about her turning Pri-ya and being brought back. So far he's shown nothing but jealousy towards V'lane and anger towards Mac...sheesh! He is no doubt sexy, but so frustrating. V'lane seems as though he is genuinely showing an interest in Mac and starting to care for her, even though she is human.

message 44: by Angie (new)

Angie | 8 comments Melissa wrote: "I think Barron's sees something in her that he doesn't want to see. He doesn't want to have real feelings for her so he keeps her at a distance. I always get the feeling it's a bit like Romeo and..."

I agree with that as well. It's obvious he's got some major drama and darkness going on in his past...and it translates into the way he pushes Mac away constantly and purposely hurts her feelings.

message 45: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I'm wondering how this is all going to be cleared up with only one book left.

message 46: by Angie (new)

Angie | 8 comments Michelle wrote: "I'm wondering how this is all going to be cleared up with only one book left. "

Gah! Tell me about it...that book better be as long as Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire to answer all of our questions!

message 47: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Angie wrote: "Michelle wrote: "I'm wondering how this is all going to be cleared up with only one book left. "

Gah! Tell me about it...that book better be as long as Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire to a..."

Lol! I know exactly what you mean!

message 48: by Melissa (new)

Melissa And....it better have one hell of an epilogue that tells, in detail, everyone's happily ever after! Or whatever the case my be. I feel so invested in these characters, as if they are family or friends. I am hoping for a satisifying ending like I got at the end of the Harry Potter series.

message 49: by Lara (new)

Lara (elbe) | 39 comments Melissa wrote: "The only reason I started to think of Alina as the beast is because Moning went out of her way to say "person". If it had been a male character, I'm not sure that would matter so much. There are ..."

Kay....just finished this series and can not believe how into it I got. It has quickly become my favorite - I just had to jump on in this conversation:).

1st - I truly do not believe that the IYD beast is Alina. When she was describing the beast one of the things Mac stated was, "it was definitely male". I truly believe it is Barrons (and all his men are the same - the book is their chance at 'breaking the curse')...but she's supposedly all of a sudden has gotten these 'healing powers', they have the stones - I guess I'm not worried about his death because I feel he is either NOT really dead, or she is going to bring him back somehow. I just hope its in the beginning of the next book and not at the end. I do not want to go through the whole book w/out the Mac and Barrons scenes.

2. I am also betting that the young dark-haired guy at Ryodan's club may be the 4th Unseelie Prince or the Unseelie King. I think he turned Ryodan traitor to Barrons and that's what was with all the whispering and trying to avoid the beast. And the beast gave her a look 'of betrayal' or of 'her daftness' (was that the word she used?) Anyway...just my thoughts.

I'm searching for another series to begin - does anyone have any suggestions since I've enjoyed this one so much? I loved it because it had action, suspense, and the RIGHT amount of romance. I have trouble getting through a book where all they DO is take their clothes off every other page. Oh and male characters like Barrons....rawwwr :)!

message 50: by Lara (new)

Lara (elbe) | 39 comments Nicki wrote: "****Spoiler****

•Glossary page 380: Voic..."

Ahhh.....Nikki - I am right there with ya!

« previous 1 3 4 5