The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

GENERAL HELP > LINKS from Threads

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Usako (last edited Aug 23, 2010 06:48AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments This thread will list helpful links that were featured in the Help Tasks Discussions. Links from previous seasonal challenges may be applicable to the current seasonal challenge, too. I will, however, have a separate spreadsheet per challenge.

TO HELP:
If you wish to add a link that isn't on the spreadsheet, please leave a comment below.

WARNING:
PLEASE be careful with the list links especially the Goodreads Lists. Not all books on the lists would work so you'll have to do some detectiving to see if it fits within the task's requirements.

Fall Challenge 2010 - To Be Updated Slowly Today
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...

Spring Challenge 2010 (by Kathryn)
https://spreadsheets0.google.com/ccc?...

Winter Challenge 2009
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?ke...

Fall Challenge 2009

message 2: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) stopyourekillingme.com

is good for mystery series, has locations, job descriptions and many more sorting features

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (pearlady) | 36 comments Thank you for compiling that list. :)

message 5: by Julia (new)

Julia (bambbles) | 119 comments http://www.fictiondb.com/search/searc...

Great search engine where you can search: synopsis, genre, subgenre, time peroid, rating and publisher.

message 6: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Updated teh list!

message 7: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Tanja, this is great! Thank you for being the keeper of the links. (Does this make you the Groundskeeper?)

message 8: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments *laughs* Sure. It'll spare Cynthia some work.

Everyone's been amazing at providing some links and suggestions!

message 9: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Woot! Found a site that has Emma on it.

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (macyboston) I'm not sure where else to share this information, but for those of you in the MD/VA/DC area....I thought you might be interested in checking out the National Book Fair being held in DC on Sept 26th. You can find all the details at http://www.loc.gov/bookfest/

I have gone in years past and its a great place to meet and hear your favorite authors as well as discover new ones. This year has a stellar line up of authors. Very much worth spending a day on the National Mall.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 784 comments Melissa wrote: "I'm not sure where else to share this information, but for those of you in the MD/VA/DC area....I thought you might be interested in checking out the National Book Fair being held in DC on Sept 26t..."

I've never attended, but have my heart set on going this year. I salivated over the list of authors, like Michael Connelly (my favorite), Julia Alvarez, Judy Blume, Jeannette Walls, Jodi Picoult, and Lee Child. I even noticed that Jon Meacham, who wrote the presidential biography I'm reading for task 25.6 will be there. I've been trying for 2 months to find someone to go with me. It's a 3 hour trip from home.

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (macyboston) Lisa wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I'm not sure where else to share this information, but for those of you in the MD/VA/DC area....I thought you might be interested in checking out the National Book Fair being held i..."

Lisa I had the same problem the first year I went. Everyone bailed on me. So I drove down to the metro and rode in by myself. It was the best experience. I met some really nice people in line for a book signing.

So if you don't find anyone to go with you...I'd be happy to meet up with you along the way or at the metro station. (It's easier to take the metro in since it drops you right at the National Mall). I live right off of route 50 just after you cross the Bay Bridge.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 784 comments Melissa wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I'm not sure where else to share this information, but for those of you in the MD/VA/DC area....I thought you might be interested in checking out the National Book Fair..."

That was my plan to take the metro. I'll get back to you once I know what I'm doing. I just found out my son is coming home from college that weekend. He goes to school in Pittsburgh and they're closing school for a few days because of a rally in the city, which was going to make getting around impossible. Thanks for the offer!

message 14: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Tanja, are you going to continue updating the Links thread for Winter? It was so helpful.

message 15: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Yuuuup!!! I need to go back this week to update the Fall Challenge links.

Then I'll add the Winter Ones! ^.^

message 16: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Hmmm. Whatcha think of me making these lists on google docs? That way people can switch back and forth between sheets (Fall or Winter).

I'll work on it this week!!! I <3 lists.

message 18: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Tanja, I like the spread sheet. Very concise and logical. And the color bars are great.
The only thing I might add to the Winter one (especially, if some changes get made later) is a column for the GR member who sent it in. But maybe that just my overkill.

message 19: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Fall Challenge is done (excluding me picking up all the new links posted).

Since the Winter Challenge is closing in, I'm gonna work on that now.

Donna Jo - your wish is my command. Adding that column for the Winter Challenge.

message 20: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Youse a good kid, Tanja.

message 21: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Done with all the 5 point tasks.

message 22: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Done with all 10 point tasks.

message 23: by Sara (new)

Sara (hoot31) Tanja, you amaze me!!

message 24: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments All the tasks are updated!!

I repeated some of the same links (mainly the country lists) so you wouldn't have to scroll to another task.

message 25: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Thanks Sara :)

I'm a fan of spreadsheets.

message 26: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments I'm not used to Google Docs. So I can follow the link to the Fall spreadsheet (which is AWESOME, btw!), but can't find the Winter spreadsheet?

Thanks!

message 27: by Usako (last edited Nov 19, 2009 06:42AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Ashley, the link to the Winter spreadsheet is in the first message. Click the link below Winter Challenge.

message 28: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Well done, Tanja. Sorry we took away so much of your reading time to do this.

message 29: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments OK, I am a ding-dong. Sorry I missed that!

message 30: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments No worries. Sometimes I need to take a pause from my books.

message 31: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I'll be adding links periodically. Some of which are NOT mentioned in the forum threads. It's mostly me hunting for helpful links.

message 32: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd)
Hi Tanja.

Just a big thanks for doing all of this and keeping it so beautifully organized. Awesome job!

Jennifer D.

message 33: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Welcome!

I added a couple more links that I found off google.

message 34: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Here's the "master" list of EVERYONE movie-related that has died in 2009, through Tuesday: http://www.imdb.com/DiedInYear?2009

message 35: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Added ^.^

message 36: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Added a new link for Bonnie's task.

message 37: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Sanda's task has been added!

message 38: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Updated as according to the current Winter Tasks. Bound to be updated again tomorrow!

message 39: by Sara ♥ (last edited Dec 04, 2009 02:33PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments This website is pretty much the cheesiest thing EVER, but you can put in your birth date (or an author's) and it will spit out your Chinese Zodiac... (I found that when I was trying to do a really old date so I wouldn't have to subtract 12 a million times...)

message 40: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Added! It's cute but I wish it would explain the zodiac a little more. What's fascinating is when you explore the element of your zodiac. Earth Monkey for example.

message 41: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Here it is! The helpful links by seasonal challenge. The Fall 2010 is underway and I should have more posted SOON!

message 42: by Barbara VA (new)

Barbara VA (barbarava) Melissa wrote: "I'm not sure where else to share this information, but for those of you in the MD/VA/DC area....I thought you might be interested in checking out the National Book Fair being held in DC on Sept 26t..."

I just checked it out! I have always wanted to go but I hate crowds, but, this list of authors is too good to miss! I will Metro too and hopefully meet up with my daughter

message 43: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7594 comments I think i'm going to go, i'm not scheduled to work right now - i'm excited because Diana Gabaldon is going to be there

Barbara wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I'm not sure where else to share this information, but for those of you in the MD/VA/DC area....I thought you might be interested in checking out the National Book Fair being held i..."

message 44: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17601 comments Mod
We're reviving this thread that Usako, Kathryn, and friends worked on in past challenges. There's a Googledoc with links to help sites and lists for the Spring 2011 challenge.

Spring 2011 Challenge Links

It lists some interesting ways to search for books. If you would like to add links, the document is open for editing. If you have something to add, but you are not familiar with editing googledocs please post your suggestions here or in the appropriate task help thread. We'll be updating the file as tasks are added.

Take a look at the files for past challenges in post 1 too. There are lots of interesting things there.

message 45: by Dlmrose (new)

Here's a list of search tools and websites that may be helpful.
Search Sites

It lists some interesting ways to search for books. If you would like to add links, the document is open for editing.

message 46: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments I'm just curious---
Sometimes in the "Task Ideas" there are links posted, but the tasks never get chosen. Can we somehow get a list of those? Just wondering.

message 47: by Dlmrose (new)

I'll take a look once the fall challenge gets settled

message 48: by Jayme VA (last edited Apr 24, 2014 09:20AM) (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Here's a link to a cool list I found today from Time Magazine:

These Are the 21 Female Authors You Should Be Reading