Iris Murdoch discussion

Iris (the film)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Has anyone seen this? If so, what did you think of it?

message 2: by Joann (new)

Joann (joann_l) | 15 comments Saw it a few years ago. Good performances by both Kate Wislet as the young Iris and Judy Dench as Iris in her decline into Altzheimers. Jim Broadbent plays husband John Bayley. I guess the movie is at least partly based on the book he wrote after her death.

It is definitely worth watching. I suppose the flashback method is not my favorite kind of movie making, as I seem to have difficultly staying with the character and staying "in" the story, but just that's my complaint. I don't know if I gained anything or any insights from watching it. I was rather distressed at chaos in which she was portrayed living. I guess it is an example of being told more than I wanted to know. Sometimes we like to live with our illusions.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 11, 2009 09:52AM) (new)

Joann,
I saw the film last night. I did think the flashbacks occurred a bit too frequently--to the point where they were distracting rather than engaging--though I do see why some back and forth was appropriate in a film about the severe memory loss that occurs with Alzheimer's. I agree, the performances were very good. There was something so touching in the way the two male actors portrayed John Bayley's love, admiration, even adoration for Iris.
I guess since this is Goodreads, not Netflix, I should mention that I just bought The Bell, The Sea, the Sea, and Under the Net, based on the groups' recommendations. My first experience reading Murdoch. For some reason, I'm so sure I will like her.

message 4: by Joann (new)

Joann (joann_l) | 15 comments Kathleen, Yes, I think you will. Three good selection to start off with. I thought I had read just about all her work, but found I had missed The Black Prince. I am about 1/3 the way into it now and am throughly enjoying it.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Enjoy.

message 6: by Ivana (new)

Ivana | 12 comments Elegance of the main protaganists while playing role with so ease are the best quality of the film.AS if they are not acting at all. I liked her inteligence , the ability to deal with words and her perfect skill to express such deep thoughts and put them on the paper.. Amazing.

message 7: by Geoff (new)

Geoff (wwwgoodreadscomchiltsy) | 4 comments Excellent acting. The film obviously concentrates more on Iris Murdoch's dementia, but the touching relationship between her and John Bayley and the declining power of a great writer is very powerful.