The Brontes discussion

What to read next?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi. I'm new to Goodreads and was delighted to find your group. I've read Jane Eyre (a few times, actually). It's one of my favorite books, and each time I read it, I see something new. I've also read Wuthering Heights, which I didn't like as much. I was thinking of reading either The Tenant of Wildfell Hall or Villette next. Any suggestions?

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) Kathleen wrote: "Hi. I'm new to Goodreads and was delighted to find your group. I've read Jane Eyre (a few times, actually). It's one of my favorite books, and each time I read it, I see something new. I've also re..."

Kathleen, both Anne Bronte's The Tenant of Wildlfell Hall and Charlotte's Villette are terrific novels. Of the two, I just loved Tenant, and I think it had such an important message for women (and still does). Plus you'll be able to experience the writing of Anne Bronte too; who is, in my opinion, terribly underrated as a novelist. Finally, all three sisters wrote some wonderful poetry (Emily's might be the best overall). Happy reading! Cheers! Chris

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) I would add that Agnes Grey is a good read. Anne is my favourite Bronte. She has a modern feel.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks to both of you.

message 5: by Iamee (new)

Iamee | 1 comments Hello there. I think you probably have enough to go on there Kathleen but just thought I'd send a quick reply. I agree with Chrisopher about The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and Villette. You might also find Charlotte's The Professor, which (if I remember rightly) was the first novel she sent for publication and was later reworked into Villette. The books are very similar and both are brilliant but I love the rawness of The Professor - and it's wonderfully romantic! Agnes Grey is one of my favourite books ever, so like Vikz I would recommend that too. Let us know what you decide on and what you think. X

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 31, 2009 05:51AM) (new)

Thanks to all. I think I will, indeed, have to read Anne. My best friend, Suzanne, also recommended The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, but I think I'll read the shorter Agnes Grey first, for practical reasons. I'm sure I'll move on to Tenant, but for now, I've placed Agnes Grey at the top of my To Read list. I'll let you know what I think.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Just want to mention that one of my favorite authors, Muriel Spark, worked on three books on the Brontes, which I've listed here in case you haven't heard of them and you're interested: Selected Poems of Emily Brontë (1952), Emily Brontë: Her Life and Work (1953), and The Brontë Letters (1954). I'm pretty sure they're books and not articles, since I just ordered two from Amazon.