The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > Students (15.10)

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie ATX (last edited Aug 28, 2009 09:11AM) (new)

Katie ATX (katieatx) I found a book for the first part (teacher), but now I need a book for the second part of the task where the main character is a student....any ideas?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

How about A Seperate Peace?

message 4: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments I am planning on using The Secret History but I haven't read it. The main characters are college students correct?

message 5: by El (new)

El Rachel Lee wrote: "I am planning on using The Secret History but I haven't read it. The main characters are college students correct?"

Yup, very good choice!

message 6: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth (marybethbaker) | 143 comments I plan on reading Light Years by Tammar Stein because the main character is a college student.

message 8: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) I'm reading Nightfall by L.J. Smith. The main character is a student in high school, plus vampires! Yay! (I'm a vampire fan...)

message 9: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 683 comments I was thinking of reading Prep A Novel by Curtis Sittenfeld. I did like A Separate Peace by John Knowles when I read it last year.

message 10: by Candace (last edited Aug 28, 2009 09:36AM) (new)

Candace (candacerenee) There's also the Pretty Little Liars series. I haven't read any of them, but I understand that the characters are all in high school (I think). Plus the author Sara Shepard is a GR author, so it might be cool to read :). I've been thinking about reading them anyway... maybe I'll try to work them into the challenge somehow... *shrugs*

message 11: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments A Great and Terrible Beauty - goes to a boarding school

The Gossip Girl series
Basically any YA novel tends to have a main character in school

message 12: by Katie (last edited Aug 28, 2009 10:15AM) (new)

Katie Hi Katie,
You seem to be working on the 1001 list. Here are some ideas for books with students from that list:
- A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
- Annie John A Novel
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
- The Glass Bead Game (Magister Ludi) A Novel
I'm sure there are other books on that list about students, but I haven't read them.

I'm reading Bee Season for this challenge.

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments Patricia wrote: "I was thinking of reading Prep A Novel by Curtis Sittenfeld. I did like A Separate Peace by John Knowles when I read it last year."

Oh! I had Prep down as my one-word title, but I may move it to this challenge and pick another one-word title from my TBR shelf instead.

message 14: by Katie ATX (new)

Katie ATX (katieatx) Katie wrote: "Hi Katie,
You seem to be working on the 1001 list. Here are some ideas for books with students from that list:
- [book:Annie John A Novel|386..."

thanks! I actually own the Glass Bead Game, so that will work.

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie Katie wrote: "Katie wrote: "Hi Katie,
- [book:Annie ..."

Oh! good choice. I heart Hesse and that's my favorite so far. :)

message 16: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) You know, I just thought of this, but I think that most of the Harry Potter series would work for the student task as well. I say most because I don't think Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows would...

message 17: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 12 comments Would the first couple Twilight books also work since they are in high school? I don't plan on re-reading them for the Fall Challenge - but, maybe they would work for someone else??

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Would Commencement A Novelcount? By the description it sounds as if the book begins when they are students in college and of course the name would imply it's related to school.

message 19: by Jessica (last edited Aug 28, 2009 08:43PM) (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments I'm planning on Robert Ford's The Student Conductor and Elfriede Jelniek's The Piano Teacher for this. Both have been sitting on my TBR list for a while, so this is the perfect opportunity to dust them off. Oddly enough, I've also read another The Piano Teacher, though by Janice Y.K. Lee instead. It's about Hong Kong during WWII, and I enjoyed it.

message 20: by Julia (new)

Julia (bambbles) | 119 comments Nicole, I think it would by it's description. I mean, it uses the word "classmates" so that implies student... I would say yes.

message 21: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 28, 2009 09:55PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments You could read a HUGE variety of YA novels. Lots of them have high school students as main characters. You could walk up and down the YA aisles of the library and pick something that looks good! I'm a huge Meg Cabot fan. She's written a lot of really fun and humorous YA novels... with high school students as main characters.

Or, if you'd prefer to read something a little older, I'd recommend Secret Society Girl: An Ivy League Novel by Diana Peterfreund, which is about a girl in at an ivy league school who gets inducted into a secret society, which is apparently quite the thing out East... FABULOUS books!

message 22: by Lisa (last edited Aug 29, 2009 10:18AM) (new)

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 39 comments Rachel Lee wrote: "I am planning on using The Secret History but I haven't read it. The main characters are college students correct?"

I just finished this book and loved it. The main characters are college students.

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 39 comments Would The Lovely Bones work for this task?

message 25: by Candace (last edited Aug 29, 2009 03:27PM) (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Dawn wrote: "Would the first couple Twilight books also work since they are in high school? I don't plan on re-reading them for the Fall Challenge - but, maybe they would work for someone else??"

The first three Twilight books would work, plus the partial draft of Midnight Sun (Cynthia ok'd it in some of the older challenges since its more than 100 pages).

message 26: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments I think I will be using a Harry Potter book for this task.

message 27: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Candace wrote: "The first three Twilight books would work, plus the partial draft of Midnight Sun (Cynthia ok'd it in some of the older challenges since its more than 100 pages). "

You know, I was contemplating rereading Twilight (for the 300th time) for the apple-cover task.... but I don't really WANT to. But I wouldn't mind rereading Midnight Sun! I find Edward's point-of-view fascinating....

message 28: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Sara wrote: "Candace wrote: "The first three Twilight books would work, plus the partial draft of Midnight Sun (Cynthia ok'd it in some of the older challenges since its more than 100 pages). "

You know, I was..."

I was thinking about Twilight too, but am trying to refrain from it as I'm probably around the 300th mark myself, LOL...

BUT - Oh... Midnight Sun... I want to drive to Phoenix to beg Stephenie Meyer to finish it. SOOOO good!!!!

message 29: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 29, 2009 08:05PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Candace wrote: "BUT - Oh... Midnight Sun... I want to drive to Phoenix to beg Stephenie Meyer to finish it. SOOOO good!!!!"

Can we make it a road trip? ;)

message 30: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Sara wrote: "Candace wrote: "BUT - Oh... Midnight Sun... I want to drive to Phoenix to beg Stephenie Meyer to finish it. SOOOO good!!!!"

Can we make it a road trip? ;)"

LOL, I'm in!

message 31: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 12 comments Count me in too!! LOL!

message 32: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) A Great and Terrible Beauty is what I have tentatively selected for the Student portion of this task. From the book description, it seems to fit.

To those of you who have read it, will it work? Will any of the other books in the trilogy work for the 'Teacher' portion of the task?

message 33: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I wouldn't say that Gemma's being a student is a terribly important part of AGaTB, but she's definitely a student. I wouldn't think any would count for the teacher portion, though.

message 34: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Sara wrote: "I wouldn't say that Gemma's being a student is a terribly important part of AGaTB, but she's definitely a student. I wouldn't think any would count for the teacher portion, though."

Hmmm - okay. Thanks for the info. I may have to choose a different book for the Student task.

message 35: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (Babies, Books, and Beyond) (mamamunky) | 172 comments Sara wrote: "I wouldn't say that Gemma's being a student is a terribly important part of AGaTB, but she's definitely a student. I wouldn't think any would count for the teacher portion, though."

I would think that ONE of the teachers plays a significant part, if you catch my drift. Without giving too much away, wouldnt she be considered a main character?

message 36: by Sara ♥ (last edited Sep 01, 2009 07:47AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Lindsey wrote: "Sara wrote: "I wouldn't say that Gemma's being a student is a terribly important part of AGaTB, but she's definitely a student. I wouldn't think any would count for the teacher portion, though."
..."

That's a VERY good point. Would you think the first book had enough about her teacher for her to be considered a main character? Or maybe book 2? (I haven't read the third one...)

message 37: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (Babies, Books, and Beyond) (mamamunky) | 172 comments Honestly I can't remember the point at which she becomes a more significant character. I want to say the 2nd book. (Also, as a sidenote, can I tell you how much I love Kartik?)

message 38: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Lindsey wrote: "Honestly I can't remember the point at which she becomes a more significant character. I want to say the 2nd book. (Also, as a sidenote, can I tell you how much I love Kartik?)"

She's fairly focal in book 2, but book 3 she's much more significant. Such a great series! Sara - read the third one!!!!

message 39: by Sara ♥ (last edited Sep 02, 2009 09:41AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Candace wrote: "She's fairly focal in book 2, but book 3 she's much more significant. Such a great series! Sara - read the third one!!!! "

I will... EVENTUALLY.... I'm just afraid it won't end well... That Libba Bray... I read her blog for a long time, and she doesn't strike me the kind of person who craves happy endings as much as I do... *sigh*

Lindsey wrote: "(Also, as a sidenote, can I tell you how much I love Kartik?)"

Yes you may. :D I love him quite a lot myself! <3

message 40: by Krista (last edited Sep 03, 2009 01:49PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Okay, I'm back with my A Great and Terrible Beauty question. I've looked at the blurb on the back of this book and it really seems like it would fit the 'student' portion of this task.

The heroine/main character is 16, and going to England to enroll in school there. After enrollment she is shunned by other students. (She sounds like a student to me from the blurb...)

Cynthia, can I get a ruling on this from you? I see that it is on your READ shelf.

I'd really like to read it, and this is the best fit for it in the challenge tasks for me. Thanks!

message 41: by Krista (last edited Sep 06, 2009 12:29PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Krista wrote: "Okay, I'm back with my A Great and Terrible Beauty question. I've looked at the blurb on the back of this book and it really seems like it would fit the 'student' portion of this task...."

Update for this book: I reposted this question to the general 'Questions' folder and Cynthia replied that A Great and Terrible Beauty was okay for the Student task.

message 42: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments what about The Freedom Writers Diary How a Teacher and 150 Teens Used Writing to Change Themselves and the World Around Them for the STUDENT part? (i've already got a 'teacher' book.) the students are an integral part of the story, with their journal entries being a main focus of the book. thanks! :)

message 43: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I would think The Freedom Writers Diary would work for both the student and the teacher portions of the task.

message 44: by SusannaW (new)

SusannaW (susannauk) | 6 comments I think both of the following would work for either student or teacher part of the task ???:

Joan Lindsay, Picnic at Hanging Rock
Muriel Spark, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie