Runs with scissors discussion

Book Ideas > Books you recomomend

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 629 comments Mod
Since I have been asked what else to read by people in the club and at my local library, I thought that having a secition to recomened books to others in the club would be a good idea.

So here goes. Jim Butcher, Laurell K. Hamiliton, Kim Harrison, Kelley Armstrong, Tamora Pierce, Meredith Ann Pierce, Jim C. Hines, and Brandon Sanderson if you want good urban fantasy and good old school fantasy. Butcher,Hines,both Pierces, and Sanderson deliver the goods on the later. Butcher and the ladies deliver on the former.

For good mystery with a paranormal twist, check out Shirley Damsgaard and Casey Daniels.

For good urban fanstasy/super hero stuff, Viki Pettersson's Signs of the Zodiac series.

For funny and good action Tim Dorsey and Janet Evanovich.

The list goes on and on and on.....

message 2: by Joy (new)

Joy I recently read Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane and highly recommend it. In fact I haven't read a book of his yet that I didn't like. Shutter Island the movie, with be out in a few months and looks good but do read the book first (as always) :)

message 3: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

I have so many books that I would recomend that I get them mixed up. Right now, I am reading a book called "Eon" and so far I would recomend it to all Tamora Pierce fans...

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen Knox | 2 comments I've always wanted to read Laurell K. Hamilton. Working at a bookstore for seven years, it's difficult not to notice her books. Which series do you recommend?

message 5: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

If you like vampires, I would start with her Anita Blake series. Think of it as Buffy for grown ups. If you prefer the fey, her Merry Gentry series is also good. I like and collect both, so I may not be that impartial. I will warn you, though, that as her books go on, the sex scenes become very graphic.

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen Knox | 2 comments My book has some graphic scenes, too. I respect women writers who aren't afraid to write them. I'll add this series to my 2010 to-reads.

message 7: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

If you like her, try Kim Harrison and Kelley Armstrong as well. Both write about vamps, weres, and witches. They are VERY good as well.

message 8: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

I have to add Karen Marie Moning and her "Fever" series to the list. The last one is due out next year. It follows the story of MacKayla Lane who's sister is murdered in Dublin. Mac goes to investigate and finds our that she is able to see through Fae glammour and can sense and find Fae objects. The Fae of the Unseelie type are crossing into our world and....that's all I can say without giving too much away.