New Orleans discussion

Currently reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) Just finished THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE thoroughly enjoyed it, inspite of a very improbable event. Too bad Larsson is gone, he has created characters who could stand on their own for many books to come.

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna Ball | 3 comments I'm currently reading Chesapeake by James Michener. This is actually the second time I've read it and I usually never read a book twice. Its fiction, but historically accurate. If you are at all interested in the history of the first European settlers in Virginia and Maryland and want a great story line, I would recommend this book. My question to you all is whether anyone has read any of Michener's various other books, and were they any good in your opinion?

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) Anna wrote: "I'm currently reading Chesapeake by James Michener. This is actually the second time I've read it and I usually never read a book twice. Its fiction, but historically accurate. If you are at all in..."

Anna, I have read several Michener's of which CENTENNIAL and POLAND were my favorites. I'll have to give CHESEPEAKE a try. Thanks for the recomendation.

message 4: by Trent (new)

Trent Kinsey (TrentKinsey) | 2 comments I'm currently reading "Bite Me," by Donaya Haymond. It's one of many eBooks on my phone I read during breaks and slow times lol.

message 5: by Jennyc (new)

Jennyc | 11 comments I am reading "Drood" by Dan Simmons. I really like reading him, but I am 300 pages into this 700 page book and I'm not sure I can go on. I hate to quit books, but this one is killing me!

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) Jennyc wrote: "I am reading "Drood" by Dan Simmons. I really like reading him, but I am 300 pages into this 700 page book and I'm not sure I can go on. I hate to quit books, but this one is killing me!"

Jenny you made it farther than i did. Gave up at around page 200. In desparation I may try again.

message 7: by Jennyc (new)

Jennyc | 11 comments I quit "Drood" yesterday. Got deeper into "The Strain" by Guillermo Del Toro (sp?) & Chuck Hogan. I'm going to have to stop reading it at night, though. It's kinda scary :)

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna Ball | 3 comments Michael wrote: "Anna wrote: "I'm currently reading Chesapeake by James Michener. This is actually the second time I've read it and I usually never read a book twice. Its fiction, but historically accurate. If you ..."

Thank you for your recommendations Michael. I will certainly track both of those books down. If they are anything like Chesapeake, Michener may be my new favorite author... although I'm sure that will change with whomever I read next.

By the way, has anyone actually read Moby Dick? It is supposed to be one of the greatest American novels, but I had to stop right in the middle of it out of sheer boredom. Did anyone enjoy this book? How did it get such a fabulous reputation? I must be missing something.

message 9: by Britt (new)

Britt (artemis_hunter22) | 3 comments for this group do you have to only be reading books or authors form New Orleans or can you be reading by someone different?? If so, im currently reading Finding Darwins God by Kenneth R Miller... i just started it.

message 10: by Angele (new)

Angele (nolareads) | 17 comments Michael wrote: "Just finished THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE thoroughly enjoyed it, inspite of a very improbable event. Too bad Larsson is gone, he has created characters who could stand on their own for many books..."

I am just starting this book. If it is as good as THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATOO, I know that I will love it. I think that his next book is to be published next year. Yes it is sad that Larson is gone. What an amazing writer.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) I am currently way behind in my reading since my ipod was stolen. I "read" mostly by audio. I'm juggling 4 books right now and not really excited about any of them. What are you guys into?

message 12: by Jennyc (new)

Jennyc | 11 comments I'm reading John Irving's new "Late night in Twisted River" and it's ok. Not really getting me. I have A. M. Smith's latest Scotland Street waiting for me and I'm excited about that. I just finished the second in a mystery series about a detective and his dog, "Thereby hangs a tail." I love both the books in the series and can't wait for the third.

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (mandaberry) I just finished reading "Tunnels" by Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams. It was ok. I'll read the next one, but I'm not in any rush. I'm excited to start reading "Earth Strike: Star Carrier" by Ian Douglas. Someone described it as Battlestar Galactica-esque military sci-fi and I immediately had to have it.

message 14: by David (new)

David Scott (davidscott) | 1 comments I'm finally getting around to reading A Confederacy Of Dunces. The dialog cracks me up, and I can hear each of the characters in my head as I read it. Total N'Awlins.

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (lilsnobelle) I am reading the Sookie Stackhouse series, on book 2.

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) I have recently read The Offseason and The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum, We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson, and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest by Stieg Larrsen.
I am currently reading Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons and The Passage by Justin Cronin.
If any one in the NO group would like to get together for coffee or a drink let's discuss.

message 17: by Holli (new)

Holli Castillo (HolliCastillo) | 4 comments Confederacy of Dunces is one of my favorite books. It is so authentic, especially the parts about Lucky Dog. It's a shame the writer killed himself before it was published. I think he would have enjoyed the fame if he held on until it came out.

Holli Castillo
Gumbo Justice

David wrote: "I'm finally getting around to reading A Confederacy Of Dunces. The dialog cracks me up, and I can hear each of the characters in my head as I read it. Total N'Awlins."

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) hew Holli glad you you joined us

message 19: by Holli (new)

Holli Castillo (HolliCastillo) | 4 comments I've been on a while and get emails when someone comments, but couldn't remember my account info to log back on. Finally got it right today, although I'll likely forget it again. Thanks for the welcome. We have so much going on in N.O. right now between oil spills and hurricane season it's nice to talk about something else for a change!

Holli

message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) I know this is off topic but i recently recieved John Besh' cookbook as a gift. What a great read.

message 21: by Jennyc (new)

Jennyc | 11 comments I just started The Passage by Justin Cronin. It is a vampire apocalyse novel that I am going to devour. It is 700+ pages so I will be reading it for a while, but it is going to be a page-turner!

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) Jennyc,
Hope you enjoy The Passage. I had some problems with it. The 1st third really got me going but then...
I'm anxious to hear your thoughts.

message 23: by B (new)

B (bshimoura) | 11 comments Hello; Im a recent transplant to Metairie from detroit; but I would like to let you know that the East Bank Regional Library; has a couple of different bookclubs that meet once a month. If you check there website calendar It will let you know when they are; Im currently going to the Great Books Club meeting tonight, the 3rd thursday of the month; just reading to kill a mockingbird. Hope to see you there!!!

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) Welcome to New Orleans Barbara

message 25: by Holli (new)

Holli Castillo (HolliCastillo) | 4 comments Barbara,

I live on the westbank but my kids go to school in Metairie. My sister (who coincidentally also happens to be named Barbara)frequents the EB Regional Library with her daughter, but I did not know they have book clubs there. (I was thrilled to see recently my book is in the Popular Books at this library.) I may have to check that out.

It must be a huge transition moving from Detroit to here- my aunt relocated to Troy Michigan from New Orleans decades ago and I don't think she misses N.O. at all.

Holli Castillo
www.gumbojustice.net

Barbara wrote: "Hello; Im a recent transplant to Metairie from detroit; but I would like to let you know that the East Bank Regional Library; has a couple of different bookclubs that meet once a month. If you che..."

message 26: by B (new)

B (bshimoura) | 11 comments Holly, sorry its been so long since I've been on goodreads,

message 27: by B (new)

B (bshimoura) | 11 comments I just wanted to tell you that I used to live right by troy in michigan.. Yes the popular bookclub was moved to the 1st Thursday of the month at lake view library. You should join us.
Barb

message 28: by T.R. (new)

T.R. Heinan (trheinan) | 3 comments Just read Haunted New Orleans by Troy Taylor. Fun historic images of the dark side for visitors interested in the paranormal.

message 29: by Georgette (new)

Georgette (georgette8607) | 2 comments Just about to finish The Bad Behavior of Belle Cantrell: A Novel... Not really liking it all that much. Then I plan to start The Weight of Silence

message 30: by Angele (new)

Angele (nolareads) | 17 comments I enjoyed reading The Weight of Silence. Just finished The Black Stiletto. It was a entertaining and a quick read as was Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home, which was quite funny.

message 31: by Jan (new)

Jan | 16 comments I just finished The Prisoner of Heaven: A Novel and now am reading Black Diamond.
Glad to have found this group!

message 32: by Jan (new)

Jan | 16 comments I just finished Broken Harbor. I really like French's other 3 books but this one, I just couldn't get into. I didn't like Kennedy except for his and Dina's relationship and one understands why he is the way he is at the end of the novel but I just didn't care. He was too much of a hard ass most of the book. It seemed like the murder investigation was almost an afterthought, things seemed to be repeated over and over. Disappointed.

message 33: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) Jan wrote: "I just finished Broken Harbor. I really like French's other 3 books but this one, I just couldn't get into. I didn't like Kennedy except for his and Dina's relationship and one understands why he i..."
I liked Tana French's 1st and 3rd but the premise of the 2nd
The Likeness was utterly preposterous. I don't know if I will try Broken Harbour.

message 34: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) Currently reading Infected: A Novel and The Bleeding Season

message 35: by Jan (new)

Jan | 16 comments Michael wrote: "Jan wrote: "I just finished Broken Harbor. I really like French's other 3 books but this one, I just couldn't get into. I didn't like Kennedy except for his and Dina's relationship and one understa..."
Yes, the 2nd one asked a lot of the reader. I kept hoping she'd bring Ryan back into that story. I did like it in that she had more developed/complex characters.
The public library has Broken Harbor so you may want to get a copy that way and not have to spend any money in case you don't like it either.

message 36: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) Jan wrote: "Michael wrote: "Jan wrote: "I just finished Broken Harbor. I really like French's other 3 books but this one, I just couldn't get into. I didn't like Kennedy except for his and Dina's relationship ..."
That's a good idea Jan.
I have a lot on my TBR list right now so maybe later.

message 37: by Wendybird (new)

Wendybird My first post. Living on the West Bank for past year. Just finished Dracula (took me a while) and Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Book Store. I have The Giver on Kindle awaiting a read, but just found a book called The Messenger at the Algier's library about an extraordinarily courageous Pole during WWII I'm hoping will not reduce me to tears. Not Polish, but heard so much of their courage during that war - not so long ago.

message 38: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) Reading Contagious and The Seance
Just started the Seance hoping it will be a good atmospheric Halloween read.

message 39: by Jennyc (new)

Jennyc | 11 comments I'm reading Telegraph Ave by Michael Chabon & Hologram for the King by Dave Eggers. Both are well written, but I'm in the mood for something that I can't put down. Since it's Halloween, I'm ready for a ghost story. Nothing too gory, but something really scary. Michael, any suggestions?

message 40: by Taryn (new)

Taryn (illnation) | 11 comments Michael wrote: "Jennyc wrote: "I am reading "Drood" by Dan Simmons. I really like reading him, but I am 300 pages into this 700 page book and I'm not sure I can go on. I hate to quit books, but this one is killi..."

Good thing I saw this. I was thinking of giving it a try since it was clearanced at Barnes and looked interesting!

message 41: by Taryn (new)

Taryn (illnation) | 11 comments I am currently reading A Fraction of the Whole which I love! Also for a book club I will start reading Cosmopolis, so if you have anything on the latter I am all ears!

message 43: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (fuzzarilly) | 26 comments I'm starting Jeffrey Archer's "Shall We Tell the President?" I didn't know it was part of a series that started with "Kane and Abel" and then "The Prodigal Daughter". Then I'm going to read two Patty Friedmann books that I just ordered and got in the mail. "Odds" and "Secondhand Smoke". I loved "Eleanor Rushing" when I read that one, now she was a true N'Awlins character! Almost as good as Ignatus Reily in "Dunces".

message 44: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Hurst | 9 comments If you enjoy "noir" detective novels, Bad Things Happen was very good. I just read The Reluctant Fundamentalist which was very well written, beautiful really, but which left me somewhat angry! I think I felt manipulated. Right now I am reading Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children--off to a good start!

message 45: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Hurst | 9 comments If you enjoy "noir" detective novels, Bad Things Happen was very good. I just read The Reluctant Fundamentalist which was very well written, beautiful really, but which left me somewhat angry! I think I felt manipulated. Right now I am reading Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children--off to a good start!

message 46: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Hurst | 9 comments Sorry for the double post!

message 47: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (fuzzarilly) | 26 comments Thanks Laurie, I've read some very good things about "Bad Things Happen"and I've been wanting to read "Miss Pelerine's Home" for quite a while now.
I finally downloaded the Overdrive application for the Library on my kindle and I can't believe all the books I've been able to get in just a few short days!

message 48: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Hurst | 9 comments Wow I will have to look into that!

message 49: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (fuzzarilly) | 26 comments I can't believe that I've had a Kindle for years and I just started using it. Just look for the Overdrive application and download it. Then add your local library and your library card number. I got two books that just came out last week. Best sellers by James Patterson and Harlan Coben. "NYPD Red 2" and "Missing You". I almost bought both of them and it would have cost me close to $35 in hardback!

message 50: by Jennyc (new)

Jennyc | 11 comments If you have an Iphone (I'm not sure about other phones) both New Orleans Public & Jefferson Public libraries have another app called 3M that lets you check out books. Between 3M & Overdrive, you can check out a lot of new titles. It also seems to me that when they add new books from authors, they add a lot of their backlist so that if you like one book, you can try others from the same author. Happy reading!

« previous 1