The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1) The Shadow of the Wind discussion

Book Club!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elizabeth Okay so Courtney and I are going to start reading this and write our thoughts once a week...

message 2: by Francisco (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Francisco Hello! First, my english is not too good, but I hope that these lines are not incomprensible.
I suggest this novel for everybody. It's a very good story... and the stories are the most important.
Luck!!!

message 3: by Elena (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:49AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Elena Stories are the most important, Patxi? I have a bunch of good stories to tell you, and this won´t make a writer out of me.

I believe Literature should be a lot more than just a good story. I consider "The shadow of the wind" one of the worst books I ever read in life. Full of clichés, baroque language, sintactic errors, lack of development and depth in the characters, confusions (if you mention "La Bohème", try to get informed about it before), naif approaches...

Good luck indeed, Elisabeth!

message 4: by Elizabeth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elizabeth Thank you guys! We are very excited. My aunt also recommended this book, she says that it is one of the best books she's ever read.

message 5: by Courtney (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Courtney When do you want to start reading it? This weekend?

Personally, I think a coherent story is as important to a novel as the theme or the ability to write - and having a story to "tell" is what leads many people to put pen to paper and "write." When a fabulous story and a skillful writer meet, the novel is unforgettable. I agree that the "story" in a novel won't be compelling without a good writer to pen it; however, even a skillful writer can't do much without a plotline.

message 6: by Kai (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kai This book is one of my all time favs. I found myself completely lost in it from page one.

message 7: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate You will adore this book! I picked it up after hearing about it on NPR and I could not put it down. A clever story and wildly romantic and mysterious, this book is amazing.

message 8: by Courtney (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Courtney E - Do you have your copy yet? Let me know and we'll start!

message 9: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:52AM) (new)

Rebecca Can I join you guys? I started reading this a few months before I got married, but abandoned it in all the hustle and bustle. I wasn't very far in, but I really liked what I had read. The style is certainly not for everyone, but I enjoyed it. I'd love to read along and discuss with you guys, if you'll have me.

message 10: by Elizabeth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elizabeth Of course!
By the way, Courtney, I'd better go buy that book...

message 11: by Robin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Robin Hi, I just started the first chapter...I'll try to join in...

message 12: by Robin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Robin Elena, did you read it in translation or the original? That often affects the plot...

message 13: by Maree (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maree Funny coincidence, I'm reading this book at the moment too- it really has me hooked. Agree with Elena that the style is very strong- makes sense to me though that this is intentional and I've found the visuals especially strong. Anyway, still have a long way to go...interested to see what people think.

message 14: by Sally (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:53AM) (new)

Sally You've got me interested. I just finished American Pastoral by Philip Roth ( just awful). I am trying to find some new books for my book club.

message 15: by Version07 (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:56AM) (new)

Version07 The first I'd like to say that when I started to read this book I thought that it was going to be better. I've read some others of Ruiz Zafón (books for 15's and 16's mostly vid. El príncipe de la Niebla) and they were really good. The Shadow of the Wind has a very good first part (the beggining is absolutly amazing), a little bit confused second part and an awful ending. But I also think that everybody should recognize that this novel is fresh air for spanish narrative. I've read in the post some kind of discussion about contents and forms of the novel. Wow! 2000 years after Aristoteles and we've just continued discussing about the same! :=)
Perhaps every novel must be revised in a whole vision. And I think that this one, indeed if you think that has lots of topics, is telling a history not told in spanish narrative until right now, mixing magic realism, history, war and romantic Barcelona.
About the style... Uchs, it's not very refined, that's true. And it's a part from its succes; the book has been read for many people not used to reading. At the end of everything, I think that the destiny of books (good or bads) are filling a blank space in the colective unconscious.
More: The music composed by the author (in his web) is quite pretty.
Sorry, next time I'll try to be shorter. :=)
(I know, my english leaves a lot to be desired...)

message 16: by Amelia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:56AM) (new)

Amelia I read this one over the summer and haven't gotten to adding it to my list yet.
While the premise and some of the language held me through to the end of the book, parts of the story seemed too rushed to me.
I definitely enjoyed the beginning and the narrator's story a good deal. But I thought the sub-plot that was driving the book was a bit too convoluted.
But, I did love the idea of the lost books and what is hidden from the world. Stories seem to emerge no matter what.

message 17: by Terry (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:58AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terry Ummm, here is my 2 cent's worth. I disagree with Elena. Literature is whatever the reader wants it to be. If it boils down to a good story, so be it. I am walking into a minefield here, but I kind of compare this novel to good pop music: it is not an opera in four acts by Puccini (I checked Wikipedia ;-), but it does not mean that [add your favourite pop group here:] is bad, does it? It is written to enjoy the story. I think that all the people who have read it and liked it can't all be wrong.

As for the language: at the risk of sounding condescending, did you read the book in its original language, or a translation into English?

In summary, a great book for reading at a poolside somewhere in a holiday destination.

Elena, please take no offense, I respect your opinion :-)

Patxi, estoy contigo. Es un libro fantástico.

message 18: by Caitlin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caitlin Terry, I agree with you. This book is a fun "beach read," but that doesn't mean it isn't good, it just isn't amazing. It is still entertaining and was a good escape for me, and a great alternative to a more intense read.

...and I'm not ashamed to say that I read this book in the English translation, as I have never studied Spanish. If I did study Spanish, I think it would be an enjoyable endeavor.